LittleVoice

LAUGHING WITH GOD

quote:
John Lennon was smarter then Ghandi. "Imagine no religion".

I think the operative part of that was "Nothing to kill or die for" and, without that---sadly, a big part of "religion"---the idea that human beings would see themselves as part of something much larger than themselves doesn't seem as bad.

It has nothing to do with "smarter" in any event. It is a point of view. You are entitled to hold it, of course, but I am entitled to mine, too. Yes?

quote:
Originally posted by Barth:

quote:
John Lennon was smarter then Ghandi. "Imagine no religion".

I think the operative part of that was "Nothing to kill or die for" and, without that---sadly, a big part of "religion"---the idea that human beings would see themselves as part of something much larger than themselves doesn't seem as bad.

It has nothing to do with "smarter" in any event. It is a point of view. You are entitled to hold it, of course, but I am entitled to mine, too. Yes?

I'd rather human beings didn't see themselves as part of something larger. People like that usually get involved in "causes" that often lead to many people suffering/dying.

As someone who is entirely non-religious, I'd say I've seen just as many fellow atheists involve themselves in "causes" that also often lead to many people suffering/dying. Unfortunately with human issues like this, it's not like one extreme causes any less arrogance than the other.

quote:
Originally posted by MusicLover_2007:

I'd rather human beings didn't see themselves as part of something larger. People like that usually get involved in "causes" that often lead to many people suffering/dying.

You're speaking very generally here. I wouldn't say the "usual" action is getting involved in a movement that harms rather than helps. I would say that is more of an exception... or at least less likely. I think that people who view themselves as part of a whole (rather than as a singular individual) would have a better time getting things accomplished... learning to work in groups, understanding that personal failure can lead to success for a larger group of people, realizing that you're not the only person on earth, dealing with consequences larger than your own... all of these things can come from seeing the world as bigger than yourself. Of course there are groups (extremists in religions, for example) that take these concepts too far, but i think on the whole, being a small part of something better is a rewarding, humbling experience.

quote:
Originally posted by addiction to hands&feet:

You're speaking very generally here. I wouldn't say the "usual" action is getting involved in a movement that harms rather than helps. I would say that is more of an exception... or at least less likely. I think that people who view themselves as part of a whole (rather than as a singular individual) would have a better time getting things accomplished... learning to work in groups, understanding that personal failure can lead to success for a larger group of people, realizing that you're not the only person on earth, dealing with consequences larger than your own... all of these things can come from seeing the world as bigger than yourself. Of course there are groups (extremists in religions, for example) that take these concepts too far, but i think on the whole, being a small part of something better is a rewarding, humbling experience.

I like what you said, and how you said it... here's a quote you kinda reminded me of... =]

“We don’t have to engage in grand, heroic actions to participate in the process of change. Small acts, when multiplied by millions of people, can transform the world.”

-Howard Zinn

quote:
Originally posted by good > perfect:

i think you are taking be like a cloud's analogy too literally. obviously we aren't ACTUALLY bacteria. he/she/whatever is trying to say our species mimics their behavior in certain ways. i don't know if i agree, but i can see what they are saying.

on a side note, i still think you mean virus as opposed to bacteria. multiplying in a certain place until the only option left is to spread. bacteria just kind of hang out...they come to an equilibrium with their surroundings. we don't do that.

Good >perfect... first of all.. i didnt get that theory from the matrix... but, when you mentioned it - i thought it was pretty funny how similar they were... my friend actually told me that theory, and when we talked about it... i thought it could actually be true, haha... but i have MANY theories of what could be.. just like lots of people do... Smiler BTW - thank you for not taking what i said too literally... your awesome =]

quote:
Originally posted by all we're doing here is learning to love:

quote:
“We don’t have to engage in grand, heroic actions to participate in the process of change. Small acts, when multiplied by millions of people, can transform the world.”

-Howard Zinn

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tr5OyWtBB3M

haha - that songs pretty funny! i looked up the lyrics... i like, i like! Smiler thanks for sharing.

quote:
Originally posted by BeLikeA*cloud*:

Good >perfect... first of all.. i didnt get that theory from the matrix... but, when you mentioned it - i thought it was pretty funny how similar they were... my friend actually told me that theory, and when we talked about it... i thought it could actually be true, haha... but i have MANY theories of what could be.. just like lots of people do... Smiler BTW - thank you for not taking what i said too literally... your awesome =]

haha anytime anytime. you're awesome too. and so is the matrix. Wink

quote:
Originally posted by BeLikeA*cloud*:

quote:
Originally posted by addiction to hands&feet:

I like what you said, and how you said it... here's a quote you kinda reminded me of... =]

-Howard Zinn

I like that quote, it sums up what i said pretty well. Smiler I think it's important not to have an inflated sense of self, you know? Like the bacteria thing. We're all just little nothings to the universe...

quote:
Originally posted by MusicLover_2007:

Wow oh wow. What anti-humanist you are. That is not how Reg would see it at all.

I can't decide whether I think it's funny or just creepy when people use Regina as almost some kind of Buddha/Mohammed/role model....

sometimes it seems I read a lot of this, "Regina would not agree" or "Regina would think this, or that"....I guess that's because it's a forum about her, but really, no one here would change their beliefs depending on what Regina thinks/believes anyways. right?