Sign in to follow this  
Superchibisan

Has anyone seen Lady GaGa?

quote:
Originally posted by ThisIsHowItWorks:

How long do you guys think her success can possibly last? Will she have the longevity of Madonna, or will she crash and burn at some point?

Personally, I think she's far too fascinating of a persona and too unpredictable of an artist to truly disappear anytime soon.

I don't really like her music, but looking at the numbers, she's clearly doing something right.

kids like her because she's a whore....

a mystrious whore, but the draw she has is just the same as Elvis girating (spelling fail) his hips. they take advantage of the fact that "sex sells". lady gaga is just an atom in the next stepping stone in our path away from societal values and purity.. in a nutshell.

sorry for the mini-rant. i'm just bein opinionated ol' me..

anyway, as long as she stays nasty, mankind will not grow tired of her.

also, she's weird, which these days is absolutely synonymous with "good entertainment"

parting thoughts: if regina presented herself the way lady gaga handles herself, i have to say... i wouldn't like her.

lady gaga rules. people need to look into her past to "get" her. and most of her fans are gays so this "sex sells" doesn't quite apply here...

she'll be around for a long time..

I first heard of Lady Gaga a few months ago.

I first heard a Lady Gaga song last week.

But the hype the media gives her since I heard about her makes her sound like freakin' Lady Jesus of Nazareth.

Did I miss something???

quote:
Originally posted by Be like the water, people.:

quote:

How long do you guys think her success can possibly last? Will she have the longevity of Madonna, or will she crash and burn at some point?

Personally, I think she's far too fascinating of a persona and too unpredictable of an artist to truly disappear anytime soon.

I don't really like her music, but looking at the numbers, she's clearly doing something right.

kids like her because she's a whore....

a mystrious whore, but the draw she has is just the same as Elvis girating (spelling fail) his hips. they take advantage of the fact that "sex sells". lady gaga is just an atom in the next stepping stone in our path away from societal values and purity.. in a nutshell.

sorry for the mini-rant. i'm just bein opinionated ol' me..

anyway, as long as she stays nasty, mankind will not grow tired of her.

also, she's weird, which these days is absolutely synonymous with "good entertainment"

parting thoughts: if regina presented herself the way lady gaga handles herself, i have to say... i wouldn't like her.

I personally find Britney, Mariah and Christina way more offensive than Lady Gaga. Of course sex sells. Of course it's not always right but calling someone you don't like a whore over it? - that's too much for me.

I'm gonna go back to my Madonna comparison - she revolutionized the way female sexuality was looked upon. Very few women in the showbiz can pull off Madonna's independent and strong personna. She's not a sex toy for men - she's not saying "fuck me", she's saying "I want to fuck you". That is the difference. No matter how

hard Britney, Mariah and Christina try they will always be viewed only as container for male genitalia. - That is wrong. Those girls damage all women. They are objects who without the "sex sells" thing would be nothing.

Lady Gaga and Madonna are above this. They both send different message - not the "you can get it from me" but the "I can get it from you". That is the key, the explicitly is the instrument.

I admire them for this. Women with this kind of spirit are responsible for emancipation. Who do you think started to wear trousers, mini skirts, chained themselves to radiators and refused to get married? Prudes? - if it were for them, women would be stuck in middle ages.

to clarify: I am against the purity/after marriage/sacred/taboo crap and I am strongly against the teenage celibacy bs. Not to raise an argument here but my humble opinion is that by tabooing sex more damage is done. Sex is a vital part of our lives and it never was and it never will be just a means of procreation.

I'll conclude this with a little rant: Women are still not equal to men. Unfortunatelly, men are not those who rigidly enforce the "promiscuity is a deadly sin" crap, women themselves are.

^^ Christina "a container for male genitalia"? Really? Sure she had a bit of an image revamp toward a 'dirrtier' side, but that was years ago and she's moved on. Plus, unlike the other women mentioned, she has a gorgeous voice.

Anyway, back to the actual point of what's being discussed... You could be right about the damage of tabooing sex, and you're certainly correct in saying that Lady GaGa creates an image of independence. But do you see the damage in sending the message that sexual independence is the main form of female empowerment? That seems to be what she's doing...

quote:
Originally Posted by Sgtcampsalot

But the hype the media gives her since I heard about her makes her sound like freakin' Lady Jesus of Nazareth.

Did I miss something???

Actually yeah, you kind of did. GaGa is rolling out hits (huge hits) at rates not seen for a while. Four top tens (Just Dance: #1 for two weeks, 19 weeks in top 10, second-most downloaded song of all time; Poker Face: #1 for one week, 18 weeks in top 10, eighth-most downloaded song of all time; LoveGame: #5, 10 weeks in top 10; Paparazzi: #6 and rising, 4 weeks in top 10 and counting) from a debut album by an artist that no one had heard of a year ago is a big deal. And she has the most unique media persona we've seen in a long time: outlandish dress, extravagant live performances, brazen outspokenness. Long story short, America loves her.

quote:

^^ Christina "a container for male genitalia"? Really? Sure she had a bit of an image revamp toward a 'dirrtier' side, but that was years ago and she's moved on. Plus, unlike the other women mentioned, she has a gorgeous voice.

Anyway, back to the actual point of what's being discussed... You could be right about the damage of tabooing sex, and you're certainly correct in saying that Lady GaGa creates an image of independence. But do you see the damage in sending the message that sexual independence is the main form of female empowerment? That seems to be what she's doing...

Sorry, but for me every woman who resorts to boob job is "dead" for me. I don't think Christina has moved on. Mariah has a great voice too but otherwise, blueh.

Sexual independence is important. I'm not saying it's the most important thing or that it should define a woman but I'd say that it is in the top three or five issues. Lady Gaga can't really promote women in science or politics but I think she's doing a good job of promoting sexual empowerment. I don't see anything bad in that.