Sign in to follow this  
JohnnyC

Face The Music / Jeff Lynne

There is no universal truth - good/bad is a very subjective quality, which ultimately comes down to like/dislike. There are people who like Lynne's production and dislike the production of Eet and vice versa.

Obviously, Reg is satisfied with how the album came out. You don't have to agree with her but if you want to blame somebody let it be her. Lynne only supplied Reg with a choice. The final decision to go with that or other version is made solely by the artist. Reg is no puppet, she has a mind of her own so yes, it is all her doing.

I personally love the production on Blue Lips. The first bit has a very even, calming tone, and then the second bit when Regina lets go a bit and rocks is cool too.

If you don't like the way Jeff Lynne produced his portion, just listen to the orginal live versions. If you think he had 100% control and Regina had no imput, then you're only fooling yourself. She wouldn't have put these versions on her album unless she was pleased with the production, so take it up with her, not Jeff Lynne. And just look at that picture of them with the guitars. She looks so happy. Be happy for her!

I refuse to believe Regina can do anything wrong and that she chose her voice to be flat in this album and to add random instruments that don't even fit, there's no soul to it(and hardly any emphasis on anything). I just wish she would have made a studio recording of the old version of Blue Lips (one that lasts 5:01 and then she asks for more cello) since it IS one of my favorite songs by her. The live recording has so much to it.. it's so epic.. and it even gets me emotional.

And to Joseph- Ya I've heard the better version of Blue Lips.. but it's live.. >_> Just like how I would have loved to seen All the Rowboats on far.. because I want better quality.

At least Folding Chair was produced well

compared to the original.

Regina would be played the final product and she gives a thumbs up, or a thumbs down(period).

If in fact she didn't like Jeff Lynne's mix and didn't tell him so . . . well then that's her "fault," too.

It's her name on the CD, not Jeff Lynne's.

I like the Blue Lips mix, love the guitar. Is the live version with the cello a better version? Maybe.

But, again, Regina didn't want to do that.

If she did, she would have done it.

quote:
Originally posted by Ramen:

I refuse to believe Regina can do anything wrong and that she chose her voice to be flat in this album and to add random instruments that don't even fit, there's no soul to it(and hardly any emphasis on anything). I just wish she would have made a studio recording of the old version of Blue Lips (one that lasts 5:01 and then she asks for more cello) since it IS one of my favorite songs by her. The live recording has so much to it.. it's so epic.. and it even gets me emotional.

I have to confess that I do like the album version of Blue Lips, but on certain songs the production doesn't seem to do anything to show us the inherent passion in the melodies.

At the same time, though, I don't think Regina sees what she's done as wrong. If she did, she wouldn't have released the songs as they are. It's just that some things that sound blatantly awful to one person can sound good to another, or vice versa. When an album is presented to us as a finished piece of work, and especially knowing what Regina has said about how perfectionistic she is, I think we owe it to her to assume that she has made sure to release the songs exactly as she thought best.

Now, I do happen to prefer the old versions of some of these songs, but given that Regina is the creator of these beautiful songs and I'm not, what can I do but trust her to be faithful to her own artistic vision?

Music Lover Strikes AGAIN! BUM BUM BUM! HAHA shout out to bum bum bum! I like your posts usually and how people react to them. I have to say though in a polite way I disagree with you on all four counts. Let's agree to disagree.

-baby jesus

quote:
Originally posted by baby jesus:

Music Lover Strikes AGAIN! BUM BUM BUM! HAHA shout out to bum bum bum! I like your posts usually and how people react to them. I have to say though in a polite way I disagree with you on all four counts. Let's agree to disagree.

-baby jesus

lol i just discarded a post in which i bit off musiclover's head for being so negative and, imo, juvenile, always seeking attention. *sigh* so not worth my time, though...

it's nice to see you, baby jesus, can deal with him/her so... humanely. Roll Eyes

quote:
Originally posted by MusicLover_2007:

* flat voice

* stupid instruments

* generally uninspired

such a shame because the songs are all first-rate. But I think Reg really takes a bad tumble here and will take a serious hit in her career with this.

You haven't even heard the album yet, lol. Your basing all of this on the 30 sec preview clips on amazon?

A serious hit to her career?

Please. Come in off the ledge.