Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ThisIsHowItWorks

Regina's Recurring Motifs

99 posts in this topic

Maybe that was the wrong title for this thread... But anyway, I think this could be interesting to discuss: Has anyone else noticed that several very specific objects, concepts, etc. are seen in multiple Regina songs?

Just to keep it easier if this thread gets too long, here's a list of the motifs that have been mentioned so far, and the songs associated therewith:

*Bed: 2.99 Cent Blues, A Cannon, Aching to Pupate, Carbon Monoxide, Dusseldorf, Hotel Song, Love You're a Whore, Pound of Flesh, Samson,Reading Time with Pickle, Silly Eye Color Generalizations, Virgin Queen, Wasteside, You

*Birds: 8th Floor, I Want to Sing, Left Hand Song, Rejazz, Two Birds

*Blue: Belt, Blue Lips, Ink Stains, My Man, One-String Blues, Silly Eye Color Generalizations, Wallet

*Brother: Bear Spektor, Dog and Pony, Eet, Human of the Year, Scarecrow and Fungus, Ode to Divorce

*Blood: 2.99 Cent Blues, AB, Apres Moi, Better, The Calculation, Consequence of Sounds, The Clocks were Asleep, The Devil Came to Bethlehem, I Cut off my Hair, The Man of a Thousand Faces, On the Radio, Sailor Song, Uncle Bobby, Your Honor

*Cats: Braille, I Want to Sing, Lucky Penny, That Time, Time is All Around

*Cinderella: Back of a Truck, Cinderella, Rockland County

*City: Boababs, Dance Anthem of the 80s Dusseldorf, Field Below, Ne Me Quitte Pas, Summer in the City, Us (See also New York City

*Death: Back of a Truck, Bartender, Carbon Monoxide, Consequence of Sounds, Daniel Cowman, Dead Rat, Ghost of Corporate Future, Firewood, Lacrimosa, Lounge, On the Radio, Pound of Flesh, Time is All Around, Wasteside

*Dreams/Hallucinations: 2.99 Cent Blues, Chemo Limo, Folding Chair, Hotel Song, I Cut off my Hair, Love You're a Whore, Pavlov's Daughter, Riot Gear, That Time, Time is all Around

*Drinking/Being Drunk: Aching to Pupate, Another Town, Back of a Truck, Bartender, Bobbin' for Apples, Buildings, Dance Anthem of the 80s, Daniel Cowman, Dusseldorf, Genius Next Door, Laughing With, Making Records, Pavlov's Daughter, Summer in the City, Wasteside see also Whiskey

*Drugs: Daniel Cowman, Dusseldorf, Hotel Song, Mermaid, That Time

*Eyes: 20 Years of Snow, A Cannon, Consequence of Sounds, Dulce et Decorum Est Pro Patria Mori, Folding Chair, Happy Hooker, Hotel Song, Laughing With, Mermaid, Music Box, Ne Me Quitte Pas, Oedipus, One More Time with Feeling, One-String Blues, Patron Saint, Reading Time with Pickle, Silly Eye Color Generalizations, Summer in the City, Sunshine, Your Honor

*False Rain: 8th Floor, Pavlov's Daughter (see also Rain)

*Feet: A Cannon, Carbon Monoxide, Dance Anthem of the 80s, Eet, Flyin', Folding Chair, Mermaid, Ne Me Quitte Pas, Two Sisters

*Finding/Discovery: Blue Lips, Lucky Penny, Mermaid, Reading Time with Pickle, School is Out, Soho, Wallet

*Flesh (Human): Consequence of Sounds, Pound of Flesh, Secret Stash

*Friendship: Better, Fidelity, On the Radio, Pound of Flesh

*Fruit: Begin to Hope, Bobbin' for Apples, That Time

*Future: Ghost of Corporate Future, Long Brown Hair, Lucky Penny, Machine, Marry Ann, The Virgin Queen, You

*Gravedigger: BYOS, Consequence of Sounds, Pavlov's Daughter

*Grocery Store: Love You're a Whore, Reading Time with Pickle

*Hair: Back of a Truck, Buildings, BYOS, I Cut off my Hair, Ghost of Corporate Future, Long Brown Hair, Love Affair, Lounge, Marry Ann, Making Records, Oedipus, Samson, Wallet, Wasteside

*Illness: Better, Chemo Limo, Laughing With On the Radio, One More Time With Feeling, Reginasaurus

*Intercourse, pressure to engage in: A Cooler Version of Yourself, Dusseldorf, Flyin' (see also Prostitution, Masturbation, Love/Relationships)

*Kissing/Lips: A Cannon, Aching to Pupate, Aquarius, Baby Jesus, Belt, Blue Lips, The Bronx, Better, The Devil Come to Bethlehem, Dog and Pony, Dulce et Decorum Est Pro Patria Mori, Fidelity, Flyin', Ghost of Corporate Future, Happy Hooker, I Cut off my Hair, Love You're a Whore, Loveology, Ne Me Quitte Pas, Ode to Divorce, Paris, One-String Blues, Poor Little Rich Boy, Sailor Song, Samson, Silly Eye Color Generalizations, That Time, The Virgin Queen, Uh-Merica, Your Honor

*Knowledge Tree: Begin to Hope, Blue Lips

*Languages, Foreign (sings in): 8th Floor, Apres Moi, Ave Maria, Dulce et Decorum Est Por Patria Mori, Dusseldorf, Lacrimosa, Making Records, Ne Me Quitte Pas

*Languages, Foreign (mentioned): 8th Floor, All the Rowboats, Genius Next Door

*Light: A Cannon, All the Rowboats, Ave Maria, Begin to Hope, Belt, Bobbin' for Apples, The Devil Come to Bethlehem, Lulliby, One More Time with Feeling, One-String Blues, Paris, Patron Saint, Reading Time with Pickle, Samson, Sunshine, Time is All Around, Wallet

*Literature/Bible: 2.99 Cent Blues, Apres Moi, Braille, Daniel Cowman, The Devil Come to Bethlehem Long Brown Hair, Oedipus, Pound of Flesh, Samson, The Virgin Queen, Wasteside

*Love/Relationships: 20 Years of Snow, 2.99 Cent Blues, Another Town, Bartender, Better, Belt, Bobbin' for Apples, Bon Idee, Braille, Buildings, The Calculation, Carbon Monoxide, Dance Anthem of the 80s, December, Fidelity, Field Below, The Flowers, Flyin', Folding Chair, I Want to Sing, Laughing With, Lounge, Love Affair, Love You're a Whore, Loveology, Lulliby, Marry Ann, Ode to Divorce, On the Radio, Pavlov's Daughter, Poor Little Rich Boy, Reading Time with Pickle, Raindrops, Rejazz, Sailor Song, Samson, The Sword and the Pen, Summer in the City, That Time, Time is All Around, Two Birds, Us, You, Your Honor

*Lucky Pennies: Lucky Penny, School is Out

*Masturbation: Chicken Song, Pavlov's Daughter

*Mary Ann: Marry Ann, Sailor Song

*Music (listening to, singing, etc.): All the Rowboats, Bobbin' for Apples, Dance Anthem of the 80s, Eet, Fidelity, Firewood, Mockingbird, Music Box, On the Radio, Raindrops

*Musical Allusions (specific): BYOS, The Devil Come to Bethelehem, Ne Me Quitte Pas, On the Radio, Poor Little Rich Boy, Raindrops, Somedays

*Moon: Braille, Man of a Thousand Faces, Sailor Song, Rejazz, Small Town Moon

*New York City: Back of a Truck, The Bronx, Dusseldorf, I Cut Off My Hair, Ne Me Quitte Pas, One-String Blues, That Time, Soho, Woolen Gloves

*Picket Fences: Blue Lips, Consequence of Sounds

*Porcupines and Antlers: Loveology, Marry Ann

*Prostitution: Dance Anthem of the 80s, Happy Hooker, Hotel Song

*Rain: 8th Floor, Aquarius, Be Like a Cloud, Braille, Ghost of Corporate Future, Lacrimosa, Ne Me Quitte Pas, Pavlov's Daughter, Raindrops, Secret Stash, Silly Eye-Color Generalizations, Sunshine

*'Regina' (name): Begin to Hope, The Flowers, One-String Blues, Pavlov's Daughter, Reginasaurus, Soho

*Religion/Faith/Clergy: Baby Jesus, Bon Idee, Blue Lips, Genius Next Door, Human of the Year, Laughing With, Man of a Thousand Faces, Prisoners, Reginasaurus

*Removal of Clothing: Daniel Cowman, I Want to Sing, Genius Next Door, Ghost of Corporate Future

*Royalty: Oedipus, The Virgin Queen

*Salivation: Daniel Cowman, Pavlov's Daughter, Wasteside

*Shoes: Aching to Pupate, Cinderella, Daniel Cowman, Happy Hooker, I Cut off my Hair, I Want to Sing, Ghost of Corporate Future, Ne Me Quitte Pas, Riot Gear

*Smoking/Cigarettes: Back of a Truck, Dusseldorf, Hotel Song, Lady, Mockingbird, Ne Me Quitte Pas, One-String Blues, Soho, That Time

*Snow: 2.99 Cent Blues, 20 Years of Snow, 8th Floor, Lulliby, Ne Me Quitte Pas

*Spoken Word, Power of: Better, Consequence of Sounds

*Stairs: AB, Belt, The Bronx, Bobbin' for Apples, Pavlov's Daughter, Reading Time With Pickle, Rockland County, Woolen Gloves

*Statue: All the Rowboats, Baby Jesus, Rockland County, Us

*Summer:Love You're a Whore, Summer in the City, Sunshine

*Time: All the Rowboats, Buildings, The Clocks Were Asleep, Daniel Cowman, Firewood, That Time, Time is All Around

*Transportation: Ave Maria, Buildings, Chemo Limo, Ghost of Corporate Future, Loveology, One-String Blues, Scarecrow and Fungus

*Whiskey: Back of a Truck, Bartender, Bobbin' for Apples, Pavlov's Daughter see also Drinking

*Window: 8th Floor, Baby Jesus, Braille, Buildings, Chemo Limo, Dead Rat, Eet, Flyin', I Cut off my Hair, Love Affair, Lulliby, Mermaid, Open, Paris, Patron Saint

See something missing? Curious as to how a song fits into a motif? Well then jump right into the discussion!

Emmerrrrrrr likes this

Maybe that was the wrong title for this thread... But anyway, I think this could be interesting to discuss: Has anyone else noticed that several very specific objects, concepts, etc. are seen in multiple Regina songs?

Just to keep it easier if this thread gets too long, here's a list of the motifs that have been mentioned so far, and the songs associated therewith:

*Bed: 2.99 Cent Blues, A Cannon, Aching to Pupate, Carbon Monoxide, Dusseldorf, Hotel Song, Love You're a Whore, Pound of Flesh, Samson,Reading Time with Pickle, Silly Eye Color Generalizations, Virgin Queen, Wasteside, You

*Birds: 8th Floor, I Want to Sing, Left Hand Song, Rejazz, Two Birds

*Blue: Belt, Blue Lips, Ink Stains, My Man, One-String Blues, Silly Eye Color Generalizations, Wallet

*Brother: Bear Spektor, Dog and Pony, Eet, Human of the Year, Scarecrow and Fungus, Ode to Divorce

*Blood: 2.99 Cent Blues, AB, Apres Moi, Better, The Calculation, Consequence of Sounds, The Clocks were Asleep, The Devil Came to Bethlehem, I Cut off my Hair, The Man of a Thousand Faces, On the Radio, Sailor Song, Uncle Bobby, Your Honor

*Cats: Braille, I Want to Sing, Lucky Penny, That Time, Time is All Around

*Cinderella: Back of a Truck, Cinderella, Rockland County

*City: Boababs, Dance Anthem of the 80s Dusseldorf, Field Below, Ne Me Quitte Pas, Summer in the City, Us (See also New York City

*Death: Back of a Truck, Bartender, Carbon Monoxide, Consequence of Sounds, Daniel Cowman, Dead Rat, Ghost of Corporate Future, Firewood, Lacrimosa, Lounge, On the Radio, Pound of Flesh, Time is All Around, Wasteside

*Dreams/Hallucinations: 2.99 Cent Blues, Chemo Limo, Folding Chair, Hotel Song, I Cut off my Hair, Love You're a Whore, Pavlov's Daughter, Riot Gear, That Time, Time is all Around

*Drinking/Being Drunk: Aching to Pupate, Another Town, Back of a Truck, Bartender, Bobbin' for Apples, Buildings, Dance Anthem of the 80s, Daniel Cowman, Dusseldorf, Genius Next Door, Laughing With, Making Records, Pavlov's Daughter, Summer in the City, Wasteside see also Whiskey

*Drugs: Daniel Cowman, Dusseldorf, Hotel Song, Mermaid, That Time

*Eyes: 20 Years of Snow, A Cannon, Consequence of Sounds, Dulce et Decorum Est Pro Patria Mori, Folding Chair, Happy Hooker, Hotel Song, Laughing With, Mermaid, Music Box, Ne Me Quitte Pas, Oedipus, One More Time with Feeling, One-String Blues, Patron Saint, Reading Time with Pickle, Silly Eye Color Generalizations, Summer in the City, Sunshine, Your Honor

*False Rain: 8th Floor, Pavlov's Daughter (see also Rain)

*Feet: A Cannon, Carbon Monoxide, Dance Anthem of the 80s, Eet, Flyin', Folding Chair, Mermaid, Ne Me Quitte Pas, Two Sisters

*Finding/Discovery: Blue Lips, Lucky Penny, Mermaid, Reading Time with Pickle, School is Out, Soho, Wallet

*Flesh (Human): Consequence of Sounds, Pound of Flesh, Secret Stash

*Friendship: Better, Fidelity, On the Radio, Pound of Flesh

*Fruit: Begin to Hope, Bobbin' for Apples, That Time

*Future: Ghost of Corporate Future, Long Brown Hair, Lucky Penny, Machine, Marry Ann, The Virgin Queen, You

*Gravedigger: BYOS, Consequence of Sounds, Pavlov's Daughter

*Grocery Store: Love You're a Whore, Reading Time with Pickle

*Hair: Back of a Truck, Buildings, BYOS, I Cut off my Hair, Ghost of Corporate Future, Long Brown Hair, Love Affair, Lounge, Marry Ann, Making Records, Oedipus, Samson, Wallet, Wasteside

*Illness: Better, Chemo Limo, Laughing With On the Radio, One More Time With Feeling, Reginasaurus

*Intercourse, pressure to engage in: A Cooler Version of Yourself, Dusseldorf, Flyin' (see also Prostitution, Masturbation, Love/Relationships)

*Kissing/Lips: A Cannon, Aching to Pupate, Aquarius, Baby Jesus, Belt, Blue Lips, The Bronx, Better, The Devil Come to Bethlehem, Dog and Pony, Dulce et Decorum Est Pro Patria Mori, Fidelity, Flyin', Ghost of Corporate Future, Happy Hooker, I Cut off my Hair, Love You're a Whore, Loveology, Ne Me Quitte Pas, Ode to Divorce, Paris, One-String Blues, Poor Little Rich Boy, Sailor Song, Samson, Silly Eye Color Generalizations, That Time, The Virgin Queen, Uh-Merica, Your Honor

*Knowledge Tree: Begin to Hope, Blue Lips

*Languages, Foreign (sings in): 8th Floor, Apres Moi, Ave Maria, Dulce et Decorum Est Por Patria Mori, Dusseldorf, Lacrimosa, Making Records, Ne Me Quitte Pas

*Languages, Foreign (mentioned): 8th Floor, All the Rowboats, Genius Next Door

*Light: A Cannon, All the Rowboats, Ave Maria, Begin to Hope, Belt, Bobbin' for Apples, The Devil Come to Bethlehem, Lulliby, One More Time with Feeling, One-String Blues, Paris, Patron Saint, Reading Time with Pickle, Samson, Sunshine, Time is All Around, Wallet

*Literature/Bible: 2.99 Cent Blues, Apres Moi, Braille, Daniel Cowman, The Devil Come to Bethlehem Long Brown Hair, Oedipus, Pound of Flesh, Samson, The Virgin Queen, Wasteside

*Love/Relationships: 20 Years of Snow, 2.99 Cent Blues, Another Town, Bartender, Better, Belt, Bobbin' for Apples, Bon Idee, Braille, Buildings, The Calculation, Carbon Monoxide, Dance Anthem of the 80s, December, Fidelity, Field Below, The Flowers, Flyin', Folding Chair, I Want to Sing, Laughing With, Lounge, Love Affair, Love You're a Whore, Loveology, Lulliby, Marry Ann, Ode to Divorce, On the Radio, Pavlov's Daughter, Poor Little Rich Boy, Reading Time with Pickle, Raindrops, Rejazz, Sailor Song, Samson, The Sword and the Pen, Summer in the City, That Time, Time is All Around, Two Birds, Us, You, Your Honor

*Lucky Pennies: Lucky Penny, School is Out

*Masturbation: Chicken Song, Pavlov's Daughter

*Mary Ann: Marry Ann, Sailor Song

*Music (listening to, singing, etc.): All the Rowboats, Bobbin' for Apples, Dance Anthem of the 80s, Eet, Fidelity, Firewood, Mockingbird, Music Box, On the Radio, Raindrops

*Musical Allusions (specific): BYOS, The Devil Come to Bethelehem, Ne Me Quitte Pas, On the Radio, Poor Little Rich Boy, Raindrops, Somedays

*Moon: Braille, Man of a Thousand Faces, Sailor Song, Rejazz, Small Town Moon

*New York City: Back of a Truck, The Bronx, Dusseldorf, I Cut Off My Hair, Ne Me Quitte Pas, One-String Blues, That Time, Soho, Woolen Gloves

*Picket Fences: Blue Lips, Consequence of Sounds

*Porcupines and Antlers: Loveology, Marry Ann

*Prostitution: Dance Anthem of the 80s, Happy Hooker, Hotel Song

*Rain: 8th Floor, Aquarius, Be Like a Cloud, Braille, Ghost of Corporate Future, Lacrimosa, Ne Me Quitte Pas, Pavlov's Daughter, Raindrops, Secret Stash, Silly Eye-Color Generalizations, Sunshine

*'Regina' (name): Begin to Hope, The Flowers, One-String Blues, Pavlov's Daughter, Reginasaurus, Soho

*Religion/Faith/Clergy: Baby Jesus, Bon Idee, Blue Lips, Genius Next Door, Human of the Year, Laughing With, Man of a Thousand Faces, Prisoners, Reginasaurus

*Removal of Clothing: Daniel Cowman, I Want to Sing, Genius Next Door, Ghost of Corporate Future

*Royalty: Oedipus, The Virgin Queen

*Salivation: Daniel Cowman, Pavlov's Daughter, Wasteside

*Shoes: Aching to Pupate, Cinderella, Daniel Cowman, Happy Hooker, I Cut off my Hair, I Want to Sing, Ghost of Corporate Future, Ne Me Quitte Pas, Riot Gear

*Smoking/Cigarettes: Back of a Truck, Dusseldorf, Hotel Song, Lady, Mockingbird, Ne Me Quitte Pas, One-String Blues, Soho, That Time

*Snow: 2.99 Cent Blues, 20 Years of Snow, 8th Floor, Lulliby, Ne Me Quitte Pas

*Spoken Word, Power of: Better, Consequence of Sounds

*Stairs: AB, Belt, The Bronx, Bobbin' for Apples, Pavlov's Daughter, Reading Time With Pickle, Rockland County, Woolen Gloves

*Statue: All the Rowboats, Baby Jesus, Rockland County, Us

*Summer:Love You're a Whore, Summer in the City, Sunshine

*Time: All the Rowboats, Buildings, The Clocks Were Asleep, Daniel Cowman, Firewood, That Time, Time is All Around

*Transportation: Ave Maria, Buildings, Chemo Limo, Ghost of Corporate Future, Loveology, One-String Blues, Scarecrow and Fungus

*Whiskey: Back of a Truck, Bartender, Bobbin' for Apples, Pavlov's Daughter see also Drinking

*Window: 8th Floor, Baby Jesus, Braille, Buildings, Chemo Limo, Dead Rat, Eet, Flyin', I Cut off my Hair, Love Affair, Lulliby, Mermaid, Open, Paris, Patron Saint

See something missing? Curious as to how a song fits into a motif? Well then jump right into the discussion!

Gravediggers: "Consequence of Sounds", "Pavlov's Daughter", "BYOS" (even if only thematically)

Hair: Far too many to mention

The name Mary Ann: "Mary Ann", "Sailor Song"

quote:
*Falling down stairs: "AB," "Bobbin' for Apples"

and Belt! don't forget Belt!

Rockland County includes going down stairs, but not falling- whatever, it's close, haha.

omgsh i was going to post a thread like this! soo weird!

anyway

cigarettes is one but their is too many. Ill try

Hotel Song

Lady

Soho

One String Blue

Mockingbird

That Time (in a way haha. she does mention brands)

good so far but ugh. got tired

Anyone wannah do Cats?

She mentions 'beds' a lot:

"But the wife was in bed and the horses had to be fed" (2.99 cent blues)

"I stirred in my bed, then I slipped on my dress" (a cannon)

"Or I'll jump upon the bed

Waltzing madly with the broomstick" (aching to pupate)

"we'll be in bed but we'll be oh so very much dead" (co)

"A boy climbed into my bed and he knew no boundaries" (Dusseldorf)

"Come into my bed

I've got to know, know, know you" (hotel song)

"But time after time

You take us back into your bed and

Kiss us

Harder

Hard on the mouth" (love you're a whore)

"Ezra Pound sat upon my bed" (pound of flesh)

"Samson came to my bed

Told me that my hair was red" (samson)

"'Cause when you're lying in your bed

Darkness 'round your head" (silly eye...)

"till in the end there's just a bed and the things we made had begun to fade on the distant shores new voices are risin'" (virgin queen)

"Dreaming dreams and drooling on my bed" (wasteside)

"In the future

Will try to crawl into your bed at night" (you)

+ "beside lamp" (pickle)

Great thread! Smiler

Death is also omnipresent in Reg's songs...

The premature ejaculation of his death sentence (Daniel Cowman)

It doesn't cost any money and it always grows back Hair grows even after you're dead (Ghost of C.F.)

Love will be the death of me (Bartender)

Then you'll begin to dream of death (Pound of flesh)

And there’s a back of a truck selling the souls of the dead (Back of a truck)

Then they'd get themselves a little hair cut

And then promptly after they'd be dead (Waste side)

But you are dead, you keep on driving in your car asleep... (Lounge)

We keep on burying our dead We keep on planting their bones in the ground (Lacrimosa)

And we’ll be in bed but we’ll be oh so very much

Dead-a, dead-a, dead-a, dead-a, dead-a

Dead-a, dead-a, dead-a, dead-a, dead-a (Carbon monoxide)

It doesn't cost any money and it always grows back

Hair grows even after you're dead (Ghost of CF)

And death also appears in Pavlov's Daughter, Braille, Chemo Limo...

I think love & death are definitely Reg's favorite topics...

quote:
Originally posted by tallchick:

Anyone wannah do Cats?

Nope, no one into bestiality here. Haha jk I couldn't resist... But seriously:

"A street cat got him by morning-" That Time

"It was raining cats and dogs outside of her window-" Braille

"I hallucinate a cat between my feet-" Time is All Around

"Then I saw a little black cat-" Lucky Penny

There are probably more I'm not aware of.