Sign in to follow this  
ThisIsHowItWorks

Regina's Recurring Motifs

also in literature put in daniel cowman, as it contains a quote from shakespeare's play the tempest.

" a man destined to hang cannot drown " or die..don't know but it's from the play!

quote:
also in literature put in daniel cowman, as it contains a quote from shakespeare's play the tempest.

" a man destined to hang cannot drown " or die..don't know but it's from the play!

ok, so this is a tad bit off-topic, but has anyone else noticed that the end of daniel cowman is almost the exact tune of the song from the end credits of the shining?? its a 20s big band number called "midnight, the stars, and you."

when i first heard daniel cowman, it was almost immediately after my first time seeing the shining, and it scared the crap out of me!! i wonder if it was intentional...

EDIT: alright, so i just listened to them back to back, and it's not as close a resemblance as i remember- but they are still definitely reminiscent of each other. enough to scare the pants off of me back then, anyway. Razzer

quote:
Originally posted by Dominic:

i have seen the shining twice..i don't want to recall ANY of it...but if that is true...crepppyyyyyy!

I haven't seen it and I want to sooo bad

quote:
Originally posted by Dominic:

I know its already mentioned in the literature section, but I thought i would note that The Virgin Queen also references Shakespeare

Also, should we make a distinction between city references and New York references? Because there are so many that are new york specific, like The Bronx, Ne Me Quitte Pas, That Time, Soho, etc.

Also also, I thought i would mention that Mary Ann and Loveology both mention porcupines and antlers

I don't know if this really classifies as a motif per se, but its worth mentioning that Regina often has references to other musicians. Like "sitting in a park in Paris, France..." in The Devil Come to Bethlehem is a reference to California by Joni Mitchell, "you're so goddamn young" in Poor Little Rich Boy is a reference to Patti Smith and My Generation, and "Darling I'm all shook up now" from BYOS is a reference to Elvis.

quote:
Originally posted by kaysntees:

I don't know if this really classifies as a motif per se, but its worth mentioning that Regina often has references to other musicians. Like "sitting in a park in Paris, France..." in The Devil Come to Bethlehem is a reference to California by Joni Mitchell, "you're so goddamn young" in Poor Little Rich Boy is a reference to Patti Smith and My Generation, and "Darling I'm all shook up now" from BYOS is a reference to Elvis.

don't forget "raindrops keep fallin' on my head" from butch cassidy and the sundance kid!

and ne me quitte pas is the name of a Jaques Brel song from the late 50s.

quote:
Originally posted by ThisIsHowItWorks:

*Dreams/Hallucinations: 2.99 Cent Blues, Chemo Limo, Pavlov's Daughter, That Time, Time is all Around

What about Hotel Song and Folding Chair?