Sign in to follow this  
MusicLover_2007

Which is the better album?

quote:
Originally posted by Pavlov's Stepson:

I agree with reginaoverdose and mooebon. Far is too perfect, or polished, 11:11 has to be included in any choice of which of her albums is "best". In my opinion, 11:11 and Songs are best, followed by Soviet Kitsch and Begin to Hope and finally Far. It's not a matter of maturation; it's a matter of art conflicting with big money, and big money winning (as always). The "brilliant" producers had their way with Far, and took away much of what was uniquely Regina. You can't blame them--they're businessmen after all, "brilliant" businessmen. They get paid a lot of money to produce generic Top 40 pablum--just look at the list of all the mediocre songs they've produced for mediocre musicians. We won't see masterpieces like Braille or Samson (Songs) or Back of a Truck again, until Regina dumps the big money and self-produces her albums or gets real musicians to produce her. Until then, the "brilliant" businessmen will feel compelled to put drum ditties and cheesy synthesizer lines in every song, to justify their million-dollar salaries.

Sorry I don't buy that. Reg is in 100% full artistic control of what happens in the studio. Those 4 producers were hand-picked by Reg to assist her in fulfilling her vision in the studio. You can try to spin things in a "Evil Sire is controlling Regina" but that's is not borne out by the facts. I mean listen to her freaking interviews about it!

Pavlov's Stepson's post is not worth replying to, but since MusicLover already did, I'm gonna repeat myself and say: Stop treating Regina like she's some mindless puppet operated by producers/warner music, she is fully capable of making her own decisions - no one is make them for her. And btw I'm sick & tired about people whining about money and everything being a business. I'm not naive, I know how world works but not everybody operates like drums sell - put them in, sex sells - regina wear bigger cleavage...I hate record companies I wish Regina would follow Reznor and others but let's face it warner is doing a good job promoting her and not butting into her music. Listen to SK again Reg's tendency toward Far is obvious even there.

quote:
The only way i can try to describe it is by telling you to go listen to it straight through, turn up the volume a bit on somedays, and then cry.

I forgot about how amazing it is to listen to Soviet Kitsch all the way through. I used to do it a lot when I fist got the Cd but now I don't. Far was utterly amazing and epic and everything but still.

and when I listened to soviet kitsch (and begin to hope I guess) it was the first time that I had heard those songs. For Far that wasn't the case. Most of the songs I have live recordings of, and even the new songs I listened to a whole bunch before I got the CD. Experiencing all the songs for the first time all at once is kind of a powerful thing.

quote:
Originally posted by Appt:

I'm gonna repeat myself and say: Stop treating Regina like she's some mindless puppet operated by producers/warner music, she is fully capable of making her own decisions - no one is make them for her.

I'd never say that Regina or anyone else is a mindless puppet, but record contracts are written by record company lawyers to protect the interests of record companies, and the record companies retain ultimate control. That's the way it works. I've got horror stories. The process is amicable certainly, and they let the musicians make most of the musical decisions and think that they're in charge. But if a conflict arises and the producer wants something more palatable for mass comsumption, the producer wins. It's in the contract. And the facts bear this out; Far is a lighter, fluffier, and more radio-friendly Regina. Don't get me wrong, I'm still a huge fan. A mediocre Regina is better than anything else out there, but it's just a shame we get it filtered rather than straight from her gut.

quote:

quote:

I'm gonna repeat myself and say: Stop treating Regina like she's some mindless puppet operated by producers/warner music, she is fully capable of making her own decisions - no one is make them for her.

I'd never say that Regina or anyone else is a mindless puppet, but record contracts are written by record company lawyers to protect the interests of record companies, and the record companies retain ultimate control. That's the way it works. I've got horror stories. The process is amicable certainly, and they let the musicians make most of the musical decisions and think that they're in charge. But if a conflict arises and the producer wants something more palatable for mass comsumption, the producer wins. It's in the contract. And the facts bear this out; Far is a lighter, fluffier, and more radio-friendly Regina. Don't get me wrong, I'm still a huge fan. A mediocre Regina is better than anything else out there, but it's just a shame we get it filtered rather than straight from her gut.

Just STOP IT. Reg has 100% control over what gets done in the studio. Stop suggesting that she's being coerced into anything, unless you can provide evidence.

quote:
Originally posted by MusicLover_2007:

quote:

quote:

Just STOP IT. Reg has 100% control over what gets done in the studio. Stop suggesting that she's being coerced into anything, unless you can provide evidence.

I truly believe that the reason Far sounds the way it does is because Regina is evolving as an artist. Not that the producers on the album didn't contribute, but I agree with Musiclover that Regina is in control. Anyways I think that I remember reading an article awhile back that one of the producers wanted Regina to change some of lyrics, but she said no. and are any of the lyrics changed on Far? no. regina won.

quote:
think that I remember reading an article awhile back that one of the producers wanted Regina to change some of lyrics, but she said no. and are any of the lyrics changed on Far? no. regina won.

It's naïve to think that Regina is the only major-label artist in the music industry to have 100% control. It doesn't happen. Even Led Zeppelin, at the peak of their popularity, had to start their own record company to get control. And Perpetually Human, I remember that interview and it was only a single word in one song, and yes, they let Regina win that one. I also remember in that same interview that Regina said she wanted to put out a 25-song CD and the record company said no, 13. Then she said she wanted to put out a 17-song CD and the record company said no, 13. How many songs are on the CD? Thirteen. She's got a back-log of hundreds of songs and should be putting out 3 CDs per year, not one every three years, but the record company could not control the revenue stream with so many songs out at the same time. They win, we lose. If you want to read a horror story about what a record company can do to a prolific young musician's aspirations, see Nellie McKay's Wikipedia page.

I don't disagree that Far sounds the way it does, at least in part, because Regina has matured, and I don't dislike the album. On the contrary, I love every song on it. I simply said it was lighter and fluffier and I attribute that, at least in part, to the producers who are paid to fluff things up for radio. Remember a few weeks back when Eet and Laughing with were pre-released and nearly everyone raaaved about what great songs they were, including me? We had never heard those songs before. But when the new versions of Blue Lips and Folding Chair were pre-released nearly everyone complained that the whirrs and whizzes added to the songs were unnecessary and they liked the original versions better. That's the Top 40 cookie-cutter in action. If Regina had recorded demo-tape versions of Eet and Laughing With years ago, we'd have been complaining about the newer versions of those songs too. I'm just saying that I prefer my Regina raw, not warmed over.

If Regina likes the recordings and puts them on the album, doesn't that mean that she is getting the production she wanted with her songs and is ultimately in control? You would think if Regina had a problem with her producers/record company changing lyrics/production without her consent that we'd have heard about it by now.