Sign in to follow this  
TheTune

Review of "Far"

HA! Yes! Back of a truck! I blew that one! Thank you for the correction.

Really, even with the "negative" reviews, most of them are positive and of course in this day and age, any idiot with a web page, or a blog is suddenly a music critic.

I gotta' tell you--I've never heard of most of these web pages, or reviewers.

I have no clue who they are. Many of the sites look quite cheesy and fly-by-night.

When I read those reviews I feel like I'd do a better job. aaaah, I miss writing reviews, I used to do them for a student magazine, I'll probably write one just for my own pleasure (if I decide to use english, though I'm not comfortable expressing feelings in english, I'll post it here).

Here's another review, not all bad:

http://www.expressnightout.com...gina_spektor_far.php

quote:
You absolutely despise Tori Amos.

For the most part, Spektor integrates other instrumentation with her piano to make "Far" sound contemporary. For example, the prominent tuba on "Two Birds" makes the song. When she forgoes these additions, however, she often sounds very much like fellow piano based singer-songwriter Amos, most noticeably on "Eet" on which she trills in an uncanny Tori impersonation.

Honestly is it a slur to be compared with Tori Amos? I consider Tori to be a musical genius and to be in the same company is a compliment.

And an not so nice review:

http://www.boston.com/ae/music...r_her_new_album_far/

quote:
The song invokes the possible double meaning of the album’s title. Spektor has indeed come far on her latest release, but not so far that you won’t recognize the kooky pop star behind it.

Kooky? I guess that means all us stixes are kooky as well. and all together OOKY!

quote:
Originally posted by MusicLover_2007:

quote:

For the most part, Spektor integrates other instrumentation with her piano to make "Far" sound contemporary. For example, the prominent tuba on "Two Birds" makes the song. When she forgoes these additions, however, she often sounds very much like fellow piano based singer-songwriter Amos, most noticeably on "Eet" on which she trills in an uncanny Tori impersonation.

Honestly is it a slur to be compared with Tori Amos? I consider Tori to be a musical genius and to be in the same company is a compliment.

What the hell? Her vocals on Eet sound nothing like Tori's vocals.

That person must. be. tonedeaf.

quote:
Originally posted by Lost in the Sounds:

quote:

quote:

What the hell? Her vocals on Eet sound nothing like Tori's vocals.

That person must. be. tonedeaf.

Even the piano doesn't sound anything like Tori has done. But overall yeah, you can hear Tori in some of Reg's piano stylings - "Laughing With" has been compared to "A Sorta Fairytale".

quote:

And an not so nice review:

http://www.boston.com/ae/music...r_her_new_album_far/

quote:
The song invokes the possible double meaning of the album’s title. Spektor has indeed come far on her latest release, but not so far that you won’t recognize the kooky pop star behind it.

Kooky? I guess that means all us stixes are kooky as well. and all together OOKY!

I didn't think it was a bad review. they seem to really like her but...

"blue veins" ?? really ?? At least get the song title right!

I don't know if anyone's mentioned it yet. But I HIGHLY suggest avoiding Pitchfork, I've always felt like those people have their heads up their own asses anyway and rarely agree with their "top picks" but this review is just ridiculous. Do yourself a favor and stay away.

quote:
Originally posted by kaysntees:

I don't know if anyone's mentioned it yet. But I HIGHLY suggest avoiding Pitchfork, I've always felt like those people have their heads up their own asses anyway and rarely agree with their "top picks" but this review is just ridiculous. Do yourself a favor and stay away.

Oh wow. You made me curious so I went to look, saw a 4.8 out of 10 so I just left. wtf??