Sign in to follow this  
TheTune

Review of "Far"

quote:
Originally posted by Common Loon:

This was posted a while ago, but I just wanted to add my two cents.

I can understand why you feel that way, and I agree that the songs wouldn't have sounded exactly as they do if the producers hadn't been there to make suggestions, but I'm not sure "force" is the right word. I think what the producers mainly did was to give her ideas. In some cases I wish they hadn't, but I also don't think they did anything more than it was their job to do, or made Regina do anything against her will. Remember how many different kinds of music she likes, and how she said she would only join the label on the condition that she got to have the final word on the creative decisions? As much as I love and miss the simple piano-and-vocals Regina, isn't it possible that this seemingly new version is just another dimension of her that she didn't have the resources to show us before?

Well I guess that forces is a bit to heavy for a word. Of course Regina wouldn't do anything against her will and her creative vision (I hope...). It is just that some of the stuff I've heard so far from the new album (it still hasn't arrived in my mailbox...damn!) seems a bit to generic (I'm referring to the instrumentation or these lurking beat sounds in "Blue Lips"). To me, it seems like an effort to built on the "mainstream" base of fans that started following Regina's music with "Begin to Hope". Interestingly enough, this was how I was introduced to her music too. However, now I seem to be drawn more to her older ("purer") work (thanks to YouTube!). My question and this is what I tried to discuss in my last post is whether this, lets say, "need" to appeal to a larger (mainstream?) audience comes from Regina herself or from her label/producers. I know it might be "naive" to forget the "business" part of the "music business", but I don't agree with connecting terms like "business" or "industry" to music in the first place...maybe I am naive!

Anyway, Regina's music is absolutely brilliant as is she. I may not agree with some of the choices for "Far" but I still love her work and I can not wait to see her live in Cologne next week Big Grin!

Edit: You can find another review of "Far" here:

http://www.advocate.com/exclus...ktid91704.asp?page=2

Someone's sure been having fun with the Wikipedia article. The critical reception part currently reads, "The critical reception has been generally better. So far so good. Sir Nigel Twit-Thornewaite of the Okeefenokee Bass Fishing Review perceptively called it 'so sweet and juicy'. Alfalfa Liverwurst of the Poughkeepsie Tiddleewinks Review commended its 'heavyness' specifying that it's 'not just cute'. Margery Greenswill of Butterfly Catcher Quarterly noted that 'it's like, out there, totally out there...the consequence of sounds', giving it a rating of 15 3/7 thumbs up on a scale of 17 5/8." [Edit: and the citation for all this is http://www.houghtonmifflinbook...storyhourinvite.pdf] lol!!!

And thanks for the link, Soiram (the review is on the second page btw for those confused at first...or maybe it's just me)...and as for the "mainstream"-ness, I don't know either if it comes more from her or the label. I think the label wants it and she at least approves of it; I don't think she cares too much about commercial success though.

quote:
Originally posted by Eliana:

did you guys read the Pitchfork review? ridiculous. pissed me off.

yep, already discussed - page 9 onwards

quote:
from the prefix article:

"If you listen closely, “Human” picks up the same but slightly altered theme of a much older track, “Love Affair,” which is the first track off of the Spektor album Eleven:Eleven."

I was thinking this the other day. They start with the same exact notes, just played differently.