Sign in to follow this  
TheTune

Review of "Far"

quote:
Originally posted by good > perfect:

i love how all these reviews are like "it can't stand up to its predecessor, Begin To Hope."

far is SO much better than BTH that it's not even funny! It is so perplexing that they've got it so backwards...it makes me wonder a little if they are listening to the same thing I am. Confused

That's so true. Far is so much better then BTH and I really love BTH! Far is basically in a tie with Soviet Kitsch AFAIC.

http://www.sputnikmusic.com/album.php?reviewid=30992

not a bad review, like you said BUT

quote:
The album's crowning achievement is the closer, "Man Of A Thousand Faces." A withdrawn, smoky ballad, the song seems always on the cusp of breaking loose into some climax, but it never does

does that mean she failed on the "good is better than perfect" I always thought that was the climax. The piano is so constant and then there is the change and she seems to breakdown.

Then again....it wasn't as powerful on the album as the live versions or as powerful as id like it to be

quote:
Originally posted by Reginaoverdose:

http://www.sputnikmusic.com/album.php?reviewid=30992

not a bad review, like you said BUT

quote:
The album's crowning achievement is the closer, "Man Of A Thousand Faces." A withdrawn, smoky ballad, the song seems always on the cusp of breaking loose into some climax, but it never does

does that mean she failed on the "good is better than perfect" I always thought that was the climax. The piano is so constant and then there is the change and she seems to breakdown.

Then again....it wasn't as powerful on the album as the live versions or as powerful as id like it to be

It wasn't ZOMG SUPER POWERFUL VERSION thus let's say it aint wonderful and great!!!!

quote:
Originally posted by MusicLover_2007:

It wasn't ZOMG SUPER POWERFUL VERSION thus let's say it aint wonderful and great!!!!

I can't quite tell if this is sarcasm or not but I never said the song isn't great. It is. I've always loved it since the first crappy recording I had of it...

I'm just saying that I always thought there was a crystal clear climax to it but it must not have shown in the album version enough for him to notice

PS. Ive noticed around the stix that BTH has a bad rep compared to the albums but there are SO many great songs on there. I really love BTH, I think it blends well with the progression of her albums

"an overblown, pretentious , slow, and ultimately tedious three-hour quasi-epic"

. -Vogue, on "The Godfather" (1972)

"most of the music is scant and drab, with flat-footed rhythms and chord changes strictly out of the beginner's folk songbook [...] the clattering drums, trombones and impasto of underwater guitar fuzz mask the absence of a decent melody [... The album] is thin-blooded, woolgathering stuff."

. -Rolling Stone, on "In the Aeroplane over the Sea" (1998)

I wouldn't worry too much about what critics think...

quote:
Originally posted by Reginaoverdose:

PS. Ive noticed around the stix that BTH has a bad rep compared to the albums but there are SO many great songs on there. I really love BTH, I think it blends well with the progression of her albums

i agree - bth may get a bad rep sometimes here, but on the whole it's quite a good album. i mean, hello apres moi. and 20 years o' snow.

hahaha. true true. We shouldn't let them get to us

quote:
Originally posted by srg:

[... The album] is thin-blooded, woolgathering stuff."

I actualy had never heard of Neutral Milk Hotel before but I looked em up. Great stuff! reminds me of a toned down version of The Avett Brothers, who I love

Far definitely stands as a more cohesive album than BTH, which while very good did have the occasional filler track (Edit, That Time). Far does not have this problem.

These reviewers seem to just be waiting for another Fidelity type hit, but they don't really seem to understand Regina's discography as a whole. SK, songs and 11:11 are very rarely mentioned, and they seem to have this strange notion that Far is her third album (it's actually her fifth).

quote:
Originally posted by srg:

[... The album] is thin-blooded, woolgathering stuff."

Holy shit. Neutral Milk Hotel (Jeff Mangum) is my favorite artist next to Reg. Those pinheads! Aeroplane is one of the most profound albums I've ever heard...I just can't believe the stupidity...

I was too lazy to read this entire thread, so maybe someone already made the complaint that I am about to, but...

"At moments Miss Spektor comes across as the female Ben Folds, and at others she could be Tori Amos. As repetition is meant to emphasize a point, I'd like to say again that she's better at the Ben Folds moments."

Ugh! REGINA IS NOT TORI AMOS. REGINA IS NOT BEN FOLDS. She is so different from either of them in style, character, themes, etc...I don't even see the need for a comparison. Why can't she just be her?? Why can't she just be judged for her own merits rather than how she measures up to "similar" artists!?!?