Sign in to follow this  
TheTune

Review of "Far"

oh goodness...I just read the entire thread..and honestly...I'm so angry...I hate critics! I hate that they would dismiss Regina's (or anyone's) work as "middle-of-the-road" or "cliche" or "just another female piano player." It's disgusting. It's somebody's work of art. Somebody poured their fucking soul out to make something that is meaningful and beautiful to them personally, as well as to all of their fans. And then those insensitive, close-minded critics dismiss the work that the artist slaved over and try to impose their own opinions of good and bad music onto everyone else. just. shut. up.

Let the dogs bark, Regina's been soaring all along.

It's all there in her work, her work is timeless and speaks for itself.

Like someone else already said here, all these reviews point out ultimately, is the reviewers' own superficiality and, most definitely, a job carelessly done. What I'm wondering is, who pays these idjits?

From NPR listening page:

quote:
gregg mervine (gmervine) wrote:

I loved hearing Regina on the home-made tapes she made herself and which circulated through the antifolk scene about 7 or 8 years ago. It was DIY, edgy, funny, tender, inventive, and her songs were unlike anything else we'd heard - also part of a tiny movement that was deconstructing and reinventing pop and folk music. On these last 2 records, all that is nearly obliterated by the production (especially the idiotic studio drums and the generic rhythms that make the piano irrelevent). Doesn't anyone miss hearing her piano playing? That was such a pleasure. How about hearing her foot tap, the drumstick drumming on the piano, her teetering tempos? All this 'surface' and production is a barrier I'm not sure I can get past; the life, the intimacy is gone. And lyrically, I miss those songs that told touching stories (the cancer dream song that makes me cry), or painted a picture of something simple (the silly bathtub song) only - I'm afraid she's telling us messages now instead of describing things. But to her credit, something of Regina survives on a few of these 'Far' tunes. It's just more and more generic; this just means that more and more people will find it accessible. Well, there's worse music to fall in love with.

I suppose a number of stixers would think the same. Especially those who started out at the beginning in 2001-2002.

I agree with the above ^^. as much as I prefer regina's older style, though, i feel that it would be selfish of me to try to decide that she shouldn't change. we all change and evolve...it's a fact of life. plus, i'm willing to bet that her new style was adopted out of necessity, because as unfortunate as it is, surviving on the salary of a little-known indie artist is pretty difficult Frowner. i also think that regina's new fame and accessibility make her acoustic roots much more precious to us. think about it. if she was always that way, we would take advantage of it. we wouldn't cherish it the way we do now.

quote:
Originally posted by Eliana:

I was too lazy to read this entire thread, so maybe someone already made the complaint that I am about to, but...

"At moments Miss Spektor comes across as the female Ben Folds, and at others she could be Tori Amos. As repetition is meant to emphasize a point, I'd like to say again that she's better at the Ben Folds moments."

Ugh! REGINA IS NOT TORI AMOS. REGINA IS NOT BEN FOLDS. She is so different from either of them in style, character, themes, etc...I don't even see the need for a comparison. Why can't she just be her?? Why can't she just be judged for her own merits rather than how she measures up to "similar" artists!?!?

Yeah, but you gotta realize, these reviews aren't written for fans. In fact, they're usually written for people who've never heard of the artist, or at least never heard their music. Critics compare artists to other artists so often so they can ground the review for those who are new to the artists.