Sign in to follow this  
MusicLover_2007

Machine is like "The Flowers"

I was thinking this morning how I could play Machine, and it's very musically similar to both "Us" and "The Flowers" in that it's a fragmented (segmented? broken-up-ended?) chord played the same way in all three. Although it sounds different, and the part where she harmonizes over the flowing piano reminds me of the music the history channel used to play in their shows in the 90s. Yeah.... *dork*

I didn't agree with this when I first read it, but then I was singing "Machine" to myself, and right after "And who lacks my organics" I found myself transitioning into the Jewish Folk song at the end of "The Flowers..." It was strange.

Funny that you should say that, staceb1990, because I listened to All the Rowboats for the first time the other day and the first thing I thought was how it reminded me of The Flowers.

But, when you get right down to it, each regina song is a separate entity, and no two truly sound alike.

Do we all remember the band that opened for Reg at Israel @60 last year?

When she played Machine at the Beacon, one of my absolute first thoughts was of that band. As she starts progressing from singing "Machine" to "Machine-a" it's not just some cool vocal "quirkiness". Mashina=Machine in Russian. Which totally makes this song all the more thematic, powerful and awesome.