Sign in to follow this  
MusicLover_2007

Machine

Wow, what a song. To me this could be about many things:

* Orwellian dystopia

* Being part of a Borg collective, substituting machine parts for organics

* How we are coping with technology(she mentions email, social networking sites)

The "pre-war, post-war apartment" thing to me at least alludes to the Orwellian concept of rewriting history at a moment's notice. Meaning, one day the government says we're at War with Eastasia, and not Eurasia. Then the next day they say we've always been at war with Eurasia and at peace with Eastasia. Those who've read 1984 know what I'm talking about.

Also the lyric

"And I’m upgraded daily

All my wires without traces"

Perhaps alludes to a future when we've all become cyborg who get out daily software updates that changes us without traces. We change and don't even know it.

This is a monster.

Wow, what a song. To me this could be about many things:

* Orwellian dystopia

* Being part of a Borg collective, substituting machine parts for organics

* How we are coping with technology(she mentions email, social networking sites)

The "pre-war, post-war apartment" thing to me at least alludes to the Orwellian concept of rewriting history at a moment's notice. Meaning, one day the government says we're at War with Eastasia, and not Eurasia. Then the next day they say we've always been at war with Eurasia and at peace with Eastasia. Those who've read 1984 know what I'm talking about.

Also the lyric

"And I’m upgraded daily

All my wires without traces"

Perhaps alludes to a future when we've all become cyborg who get out daily software updates that changes us without traces. We change and don't even know it.

This is a monster.

This song fascinates me. I'm not quite sure what I think it means yet but damnnn do I love listening to it on repeat. I agree with your ideas

and also maybe dealing with the music industry which is a machine if you think about it...

I was just thinking of the general sci-fi/apocalyptic feel of songs like Five Years (or anything on the Ziggy Stardust album) and Space Oddity.

But since you mention Orwell:

"[bowie's] Diamond Dogs was the product of two distinct ideas: a musical based on a wild future in a post-apocalyptic city, and setting George Orwell's 1984 to music." (wikipedia)