Sign in to follow this  
MusicLover_2007

Far "Purists vs Non-Purists"

Recommended Posts

I don't get the negative views towards Regina's label. She has full creative control and they have helped her career dramatically. Anything negative that is said is directed at the way regina wanted the album to be produced. it was her choice in the end. I think she was convinced of a few things but in the end, the album is 100% what she worked to achieve.

Also, I think to fresh ears, this album sounds amazing. We have too much of a biased opinion because we have been listening to the old songs like a million times. No one wants to see their favorite songs get changed.

Imagine if The Machine was a slow tempo song that regina use to play live in concert and we felt that it was so meaningful. We would probably hate it now.

I'm starting to be more open to far and realize that I need to really listen to everything with fresher ears and stop comparing everything because its not fair to the album

and I honestly don't think their is ANYTHING wrong with Sire/WB. Most labels wouldnt allow a song like Laughing With to be a single because it wasn't "mainstream" enough. Look at Begin to Hope and SOVIET KITSCH, great albums

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

quote:
Originally posted by tallchick:

I don't get the negative views towards Regina's label. She has full creative control and they have helped her career dramatically. Anything negative that is said is directed at the way regina wanted the album to be produced. it was her choice in the end. I think she was convinced of a few things but in the end, the album is 100% what she worked to achieve.

Also, I think to fresh ears, this album sounds amazing. We have too much of a biased opinion because we have been listening to the old songs like a million times. No one wants to see their favorite songs get changed.

Imagine if The Machine was a slow tempo song that regina use to play live in concert and we felt that it was so meaningful. We would probably hate it now.

I'm starting to be more open to far and realize that I need to really listen to everything with fresher ears and stop comparing everything because its not fair to the album

and I honestly don't think their is ANYTHING wrong with Sire/WB. Most labels wouldnt allow a song like Laughing With to be a single because it wasn't "mainstream" enough. Look at Begin to Hope and SOVIET KITSCH, great albums

WORD. +1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

quote:
Originally posted by tallchick:

Most labels wouldnt allow a song like Laughing With to be a single because it wasn't "mainstream" enough.

100% true

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brümstix is a place to celebrate, appreciate and admire Regina Spektor and her music.

Not a place to be negative about it.

Go and badmouth "Far" in the Tori Amos forums or something, because I really don't think this thread is worth having on the stix.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

quote:
Originally posted by srg:

quote:
Originally posted by Soiram:

But it is a bit naive to think that when one says "complete artistic freedom", he/she means complete artistic freedom. Regina is not big enough yet to have reached this kind of status with her recording company.

Though it may be hard to believe, little Regina Spektor, having headlined for audiences of at most 250 to 300 and having sold just a few thousand records, would not sign with any label until she was guaranteed precisely that--full creative control, from the first demo to the final master. Granted, that does not mean she can do absolutely anything she wants--if she were to insist on recording a 5-disc concept album with the London Symphony for six months and flying in 300 Tibetan monks to provide background chanting, then the label would be within their rights to say, "not with our money". But aside from budget, Regina answers to no one regarding the content of her records.

More broadly, I genuinely don't understand the general hostility toward the label here. By all accounts, Regina has an excellent relationship with them, and, by my account, the label (along with the rest of her support network) have done an outstanding job. The very fact that an artist as idiosyncratic as Regina is on the verge of debuting in the top 10, without benefit of saturation marketing or a top 40 radio hit, I think is a testament to the hard, solid work of all involved.

Yeah I don't understand the label hate either? Reg constantly says that she's greatful for what they do for her, so why are people so eager to critisize her label?

+ I agree about how hearing the album with Fresh Ears would make for a different experience than knowing all the old versions beforehand. My mom has all of the cds, demos, and a good deal of live recordings (radio or official stuff from festivals) and a few live bootlegs, but she hadn't ever heard Blue Lips before she heard the album version, and she heard it and looked at me and said, "What a beautiful, deep song."

So, there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

quote:
Originally posted by SocksOnRight:

Brümstix is a place to celebrate, appreciate and admire Regina Spektor and her music.

Not a place to be negative about it.

Go and badmouth "Far" in the Tori Amos forums or something, because I really don't think this thread is worth having on the stix.

While I certainly don't think it was necessary to create a thread just to dump on Far, I also don't see why criticizing Regina's music should be kept elsewhere. Just b/c we're fans doesn't necessarily mean we're going to like every single thing she puts out and I don't see why negative opinions about her music can't be voiced respectfully and in moderation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

quote:
Originally posted by sweetestdownfall:

quote:
Originally posted by SocksOnRight:

Brümstix is a place to celebrate, appreciate and admire Regina Spektor and her music.

Not a place to be negative about it.

Go and badmouth "Far" in the Tori Amos forums or something, because I really don't think this thread is worth having on the stix.

While I certainly don't think it was necessary to create a thread just to dump on Far, I also don't see why criticizing Regina's music should be kept elsewhere. Just b/c we're fans doesn't necessarily mean we're going to like every single thing she puts out and I don't see why negative opinions about her music can't be voiced respectfully and in moderation.

Yup, which is why we should keep it reasonable. I don't agree with SocksOnRight's view that we should just blindly worship and never question.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

quote:
Originally posted by MusicLover_2007:

blindly worship and never question.

I don't think that is what she was implying.

I think what she was saying is that this thread gives off a negative feel (as I feel it was intended to) and that this thread is just kind of a downer in general. I particularly feel bad when I see people hate on songs that I really love (IE Genius Next Door or Folding Chair).

This thread is like that pitchfork review in a way; negative, saddening, and unnecessary.

Just out of my own observations though, it seems like the motives for this thread were to reveal and mock anyone that had something bad to say about Far, so I can see where that unease might come from.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

quote:
I don't agree with SocksOnRight's view that we should just blindly worship and never question.

Thank you, Raph. I was not suggesting that we should "blindly worship" Regina...

I was saying something more along the lines of:

Have we really waited so long for this album, hyped up about it and all, just so we can start up a negativity thread? Just so we can start picking it to pieces, examining all of it's faults?

Just enjoy it. We've waited three years, to hear this. Why not just appreciate the music?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this