Sign in to follow this  
MusicLover_2007

Far "Purists vs Non-Purists"

I think if the title of this thread were different (didn't have the word "Negativity" in it), then maybe you would feel differently about it.

I posted my concerns and maybe...disappoinments about "Far" in this thread. And it doesn't mean that I don't appreciate the album, or that I'm not happy that it's out...OR that I'm not thoroughly enjoying it - because I AM! Very much so.

But It's not fair to just say, "oh we love Regina and her album is out and let's only talk about the GOOD stuff and how we waited so long".

That's just not right. For people that have concerns, opinions, or disappointments, they can post in this thread.

I think it should just have a different name! Then maybe you guys can breathe easier eh? Hehe.

quote:
Originally posted by JosephCa64:

But, do you have any idea the amount of money Regina would have to invest to start her own label? Press and ship her own CDS, pay for her own promotion? Hire her own staffing?

Forget about it. You're talking millions and millions of dollars.

*tisk tisk

I just saw this...there are some things you guys don't understand about record labels...most expenses they pay for are...

RECOUPABLE!

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/recoupable

This means, the label is only LOANING that money to the artist...Regina has to pay most stuff back..before she even SEES a profit.

This is how Regina makes her money:

#1 TOURING!!!! That is why she does it so much.

The only money she has to give away is money to her Booking Agent, Tour Manager and possibly her Regular Manager. She keeps all the rest, which is a mighty fine sum.

#2 PUBLISHING ADVANCES!!! Her publishing company (yes, she owns her own Soviet Kitsch Music, but that is UNDER BMI) gives her an advance, and it's probably in the high 6 figures, BUT she won't get any royalty payments until that advance is paid back to her publishing company. And since she writes her own songs, and "owns" her own name under BMI, she keeps most of the royalty percentage.

#3 (This is a speculation on my part) ANY PAST REVENUES SHE SET UP AS AN INDIE:

Such as, profits from "11:11" & "Songs" that probably all goes to her...if she and her lawyer were smart, they got that into her contract with Sire.

Ok, so...there it is. She has to PAY BACK the label for any CD pressing and such (the label pays for promo, that's for sure), and I'll bet you anything she makes pretty much ZIP for albums sales. But as time goes by, her royalty rate for her album sales will increase if she does well, which she has been. She'll have something called "clout" and a very new artist has none. Therefore at first, you have no negotiating power.

I hope I didn't come off sounding like a condescending jerk just there, but I know SO much about this stuff guys. I not only was a music major for a year and took numerous music business classes. I read books and internet articles EVERY bloomin day, PLUS, I have good friends that are signed to labels and my parents' band has a load of experience with music industry professionals as well.

But honestly, it would NOT be hard for Regina to start up her own label. If she kept her staff small, she could just use her enormous fan base and previous label connections. She could even be a subsidiary to Warner Brothers/Sire if she wanted to. But the fact is, she most likely wouldn't want to do that. Not at this point. Right now all she has to focus on is living life, making music and performing. That is a true musician's dream. We don't want to have to do all this business stuff!

quote:
Originally posted by PilingAndTwisting:

quote:
Originally posted by JosephCa64:

But, do you have any idea the amount of money Regina would have to invest to start her own label? Press and ship her own CDS, pay for her own promotion? Hire her own staffing?

Forget about it. You're talking millions and millions of dollars.

*tisk tisk

I just saw this...there are some things you guys don't understand about record labels...most expenses they pay for are...

RECOUPABLE!

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/recoupable

This means, the label is only LOANING that money to the artist...Regina has to pay most stuff back..before she even SEES a profit.

This is how Regina makes her money:

The only money she has to give away is money to her Booking Agent, Tour Manager and possibly her Regular Manager. She keeps all the rest, which is a mighty fine sum.

#2 PUBLISHING ADVANCES!!! Her publishing company (yes, she owns her own Soviet Kitsch Music, but that is UNDER BMI) gives her an advance, and it's probably in the high 6 figures, BUT she won't get any royalty payments until that advance is paid back to her publishing company. And since she writes her own songs, and "owns" her own name under BMI, she keeps most of the royalty percentage.

#3 (This is a speculation on my part) ANY PAST REVENUES SHE SET UP AS AN INDIE:

Such as, profits from "11:11" & "Songs" that probably all goes to her...if she and her lawyer were smart, they got that into her contract with Sire.

Ok, so...there it is. She has to PAY BACK the label for any CD pressing and such (the label pays for promo, that's for sure), and I'll bet you anything she makes pretty much ZIP for albums sales. But as time goes by, her royalty rate for her album sales will increase if she does well, which she has been. She'll have something called "clout" and a very new artist has none. Therefore at first, you have no negotiating power.

I hope I didn't come off sounding like a condescending jerk just there, but I know SO much about this stuff guys. I not only was a music major for a year and took numerous music business classes. I read books and internet articles EVERY bloomin day, PLUS, I have good friends that are signed to labels and my parents' band has a load of experience with music industry professionals as well.

But honestly, it would NOT be hard for Regina to start up her own label. If she kept her staff small, she could just use her enormous fan base and previous label connections. She could even be a subsidiary to Warner Brothers/Sire if she wanted to. But the fact is, she most likely wouldn't want to do that. Not at this point. Right now all she has to focus on is living life, making music and performing. That is a true musician's dream. We don't want to have to do all this business stuff!

You DID NOT SOUND LIKE A JERK. You sounded like a down to earth voice of reason. Smiler

I agree with what you said that it's likely she will have to pay back the label for the cost of making the record and probably won't make much from the actual album sales because many artists have deals like that with their label but it often depends on the stipulations of their recording contracts, which I don't think have been made public in Regina's case(?). That's how it is for most artists though (I think it's a pretty unfair system.)

^^who do you think we are? NOBODY, not a record company not anybody would give an artist money without seeing a profit. Record company is not a charity, it makes a lot of money of the artists, you think we don't know that? The company will first cover it's investments & make profit. However, record companies grant a weekly/monthly "salary" which is independent from any revenues from touring, radio rotation or cd sales.

Reg would probably have to take a massive loan if she wanted to press that much cds and do everything else currently done by the record company.

I love how the title of this thread keeps changing haha whaaaaaaaaattt?

purists vs. not purists...

far negativity thread...

far "problems" thread *be nice now*...

quote:
Originally posted by Reginaoverdose:

I love how the title of this thread keeps changing haha whaaaaaaaaattt?

purists vs. not purists...

far negativity thread...

far "problems" thread *be nice now*...

Enough people have been complaining about the title, so I changed it.

quote:
Originally posted by Appt:

Reg would probably have to take a massive loan if she wanted to press that much cds and do everything else currently done by the record company.

That's the crux of it. A major label's investment in an artist is not a loan in the most meaningful sense—it's recoupable out of future revenue, not repayable out of the artist's pocket (that is, if the record only sells ten copies, the label generally can't send a collection agency after the artist to get their money back). The label assumes pretty much all of the downside risk and, as such, it's really only fair that it receive a proportionately larger share of the upside as well. In the case where the artist is the label, then the risk is entirely on their shoulders (and they lose all the logistical support that an establihed label can provide).

All of which is certainly not to say that it can't be done, or that it's always and everywhere a better deal to sign with a label, but going it alone isn't a slam dunk either.

quote:

Don't forget the band, though...and the crew...and the venue...and the promoter...and the ticket seller...and travel...and accomodations...there's a lot of overhead in touring, and beyond the elite that can command ticket prices that start near $100, most artists (big names included) are lucky to break even. The biggest benefit of touring is actually that it promotes record sales-and it's a great means to shill merch (probably the best source of almost pure profit for the artist).

quote:

^^who do you think we are? NOBODY, not a record company not anybody would give an artist money without seeing a profit. Record company is not a charity, it makes a lot of money of the artists, you think we don't know that? The company will first cover it's investments & make profit. However, record companies grant a weekly/monthly "salary" which is independent from any revenues from touring, radio rotation or cd sales.

Okay... My post wasn't actually aimed at anyone. No need to take anything personally.

quote:
Originally posted by srg:

quote:

That's the crux of it. A major label's investment in an artist is not a loan in the most meaningful sense—it's recoupable out of future revenue, not repayable out of the artist's pocket (that is, if the record only sells ten copies, the label generally can't send a collection agency after the artist to get their money back). The label assumes pretty much all of the downside risk and, as such, it's really only fair that it receive a proportionately larger share of the upside as well. In the case where the artist is the label, then the risk is entirely on their shoulders (and they lose all the logistical support that an establihed label can provide).

All of which is certainly not to say that it can't be done, or that it's always and everywhere a better deal to sign with a label, but going it alone isn't a slam dunk either.

quote:

Don't forget the band, though...and the crew...and the venue...and the promoter...and the ticket seller...and travel...and accomodations...there's a lot of overhead in touring, and beyond the elite that can command ticket prices that start near $100, most artists (big names included) are lucky to break even. The biggest benefit of touring is actually that it promotes record sales-and it's a great means to shill merch (probably the best source of almost pure profit for the artist).

Oh no no no, well, you are right, but she DOES make money from touring. Trust me! Haha!

Like I said, that is why people do it. Yes, their label is giving them polite nudges because it does serve as great promo - BUT the artist goes along with the nudges because they do get PAID! haha!

And remember, Regina mostly goes out on tour without her band. That alone gives her more money.

And I only used the word "loan" because I wanted to get the idea in everyone's head that it has to be payed back. No, it's not out of Regina's pocket, like a traditional loan. But you can use that word to help someone explain that it is NOT free.

Wink