Sign in to follow this  
MusicLover_2007

Far "Purists vs Non-Purists"

I think that all depends. They might not have it set up where they get "points". They could have just got an outright fee. But they'd be dumb if they didn't get points!

If I was a producer, I'd do it that way! Cha-Ching!

Even though I was a bit skeptical about the recorded "old songs" like HOTY, OMTWF, Blue Lips. I've grown to really like the album version a lot. They have their own flavor to them, and I just can't buy the notion that Regina is "Tanking it" in the studio.

Imagine if back in the day The Beatles had done a live "Got to Get you into My Life" which was basic instruments and slower tempo, then the fans heard the Revolver version and freaked out. That is what many of us are doing now.

The whole album is great, except for Folding Chair

which was a MASSIVE disappointment, IMO. Dance Anthem, Genius, HOTY, The Wallet, MOATF, all sound awesome in my view, even OMTWF and Blue Lips sound

great despite not being what I expected, but Folding Chair just sounds...wrong, for some reason.

Oh dear, my first post here about my favorite musician will have to be a negative one, because I did find some 'flaws' in "Far". So why am I not overwhelmed with excitement about it?

First of all, because - as everyone knows- we already know(and love) most of the songs on the album.

True, the six new songs are quality stuff, but as one review (yes I've browsed through the "Far review" thread) mentioned, it's taken her three years.

Secondly since this thread is about purists and non purists, I am not at peace with the quality of the recording of this album - some areas with a high density of those computer generated sound effects (whatever you call them), the sound becomes too muddy and plasticky - a good example would be Folding Chair. I've got an old, live version of the song and it's just magical.

As someone before me said, some songs just sound wrong. I don't like the album version of "Dance Anthem of the 80s". I mean, it's an awesome song, but in my opinion, once Regina allowed other people to mess with the orchestration, the song lost part of its charm. I remember when I first listened to a bootleg version of it (from 2003), I had it on repeat for a couple of days almost non-stop Smiler- but this, it's just overproduced. AND, the final part is missing, which I loved.

I found it easy to deal with the poppish Regina sound on Begin to Hope, but here I feel that the wrong people got involved in the production. And I'm only talking about the quality of the recording and editing of the album - sound engineers et al. In some parts the sound is artificial and "bombastic" and I do not see the need for that - yes I'm the kind of person who cares about these kinds of things - and the difference is easily noticeable if you just listen to any song from SK.

Having said that, I'll probably listen to the album at least 30-50 times before I'll let it rest a while.

Welcome to the 'Stix! Smiler I've never known where to stand on this issue. I've always liked all of the stuff, I think I like the more organic stuff better, but I like the new stuff a lot too. I do miss the end of dance anthem a lot. WATCH EACH OTHER WATCH EACH OTHER.

Well this is a thread for purists to vent their frustrations at Reg for not adhering to purity! Personally I'm glad she keeps advancing her sound instead of just satisfying the old fans. Imagine if The Beatles never advanced their sound because old fans would be offended! I'm sure many didn't like Sgt Pepper in 1967, but they gained new fans. So shall it be with Reg.

I don't know how telling this is, but I pretty much stopped listening to Far a couple of weeks ago and have just been listening to the Beacon Theatre concert to get my fill of the new songs.

Musiclover I understand the Beatles reference, being a huge Beatles fan myself, but could you (or anyone versed in music production) explain to me what Regina is doing in this latest album that is groundbreaking? Or is the difference simply that she is trying new instrumentation? As far as I can tell all the background drum loops and whatever else has been added isn't anything new. Please someone enlighten me.

quote:
Originally posted by Aonex:

I don't know how telling this is, but I pretty much stopped listening to Far a couple of weeks ago and have just been listening to the Beacon Theatre concert to get my fill of the new songs.

Musiclover I understand the Beatles reference, being a huge Beatles fan myself, but could you (or anyone versed in music production) explain to me what Regina is doing in this latest album that is groundbreaking? Or is the difference simply that she is trying new instrumentation? As far as I can tell all the background drum loops and whatever else has been added isn't anything new. Please someone enlighten me.

Not saying Reg is being innovative on Far. I mean come on, the last truly innovative album from a woman singer-songwriter was "Hounds of Love" by Kate Bush in 1985. However "Far" is very tuneful, with great songwriting and should attract many new fans.