Sign in to follow this  
MusicLover_2007

Far "Purists vs Non-Purists"

I'm still undecided about this album. As a long-time Regina fan, she seems to have sacrificed true emotion for production, and I don't see why. Soviet Kitsch was a perfect balance of both raw emotion and grandiose production/instrumentation.

Now, that's not to say I don't like the whole album. There's some really good tracks on here, and The Calculation is beautifully produced, written, played, emoted. It just proves to me that she can still do what she does best.

This album seems to be Regina trying to do too much. The production in some places is amazing, and in others it's just shoddy (Machine has clipping all over the place). There's too much clutter in the mix which leaves Regina struggling to be prominent at times.

Maybe this is another "Dylan goes electric" case, but I'm at least going to give the album a few more plays through before I make a final decision.

Well, according to Wikipedia the album's producer was:

"Mike Elizondo, Jacknife Lee, Jeff Lynne, David Kahne, Regina Spektor"

It's pretty tricky to get a feel for an album as a whole, and get it to flow correctly when you have so many different producers - I think this is why the album seems disjointed and why each track has a different sound to the one before it.

It's pretty easy to spot which tracks are David Kahne (he produced Begin To Hope) and which are Jacknife Lee, for example. Razzer

i don't understand all the hate toward the new "folding chair." i guess people have issues with production, and that's fine, but "folding chair" has been consistently mentioned and i don't understand why. the drums and whatever else that starts when she says "silver bullet trailer" make me wiggle my toes and bounce around... it makes the song that much more powerful and summery to me. that's just my opinion, but i wanted to voice my love for a song that i feel has been lacking due praise.

The song sounds like it's been grated through Microsoft Songsmith, it's just so cheesy! Maybe if they had used real drums instead of fake computer drums, it would sound better (like on recent live versions)

quote:
Originally posted by Tamx:

Maybe if they had used real drums instead of fake computer drums, it would sound better (like on recent live versions)

Yeah, I'm not too keen on the programmed drums either. This all being said, it's not so bad that I'm not giving it a fair crack of the whip, but there's some tracks I just have to skip.

...The computer drums do work on Machine and Dance Anthem, though considering the subtext of both these songs. On BTH, the computer drums are way more subtle, and are only really dominant in two or three songs. They don't really get in the way as they do on certain Far tracks. To be honest, I think BTH was a stronger album production-wise, though some of the songs on Far are stronger than those on BTH.

i don't think the drums on Machine are computerized. they sound real to me. it is a very basic beat through some of it, but i think they are real drums. the only song that the drum track really bothers me is folding chair.

The booklet says "Drums by Martt Chamberlain". It's not computerized. I think the "Playing the Building" installation is responsible for the mechanical impression. The instalation has an synthesizer-like effect on the song so the drums have to sounds quite flat to suit the overall sound. I think they are just slightly adjusted.