Sign in to follow this  
MusicLover_2007

Far "Purists vs Non-Purists"

I guess we're all being too demanding. I used to be one of those Regina fans that only used to listen to the album songs and never searched for live recordings (lack of time). For that I didn't know any of the songs when I listened to Far so I might be the only one here who listened it with "fresh years" and 360º open minded.

The truth is I fucking loved it. Of course, now that I had the time to dig up the old live recordings I admit that songs like "One more time with feeling" sound better and deeper. Anyway, I just wanted to say that we can't expect her to produce an album like Soviet Kitsch every 3 years. You have to remember that she has to and it's good for her if she tries new things.

Matt Chamberlain is known for his work with Tori Amos (and did some for Fiona Apple I think), basically the forbears to Regina Spektor. His drum sound and style can sound very close a machine at time as he has such perfect rhythm.

Plus it may be a real drummer but using FX pads.

The drums on Far are definitely programmed. If not, they're beatmatched. It's highly possible that they used Drumagog or something similar to take the real hits and replace them with drum samples.

It's not so much the timing that gives it away, it's the way every hit sounds exactly the same.

quote:
Originally posted by Oh My Gawd!!!:

The drums on Far are definitely programmed. If not, they're beatmatched. It's highly possible that they used Drumagog or something similar to take the real hits and replace them with drum samples.

It's not so much the timing that gives it away, it's the way every hit sounds exactly the same.

and I don't understand why do you care...

I care because I find the sound of them really annoying. It sounds unnatural - cymbals don't sound the same every time they're hit. Also, when she's clearly going for big lush arrangements, it seems strange to me to settle for sampled drums?

It may also be that this is what I do for a living, so bad production sticks out to me in a way that I can't suppress. All I'm saying is that if she really had to use sampled drums, whoever produced it could have done it a lot better.

quote:
Originally posted by MusicLover_2007:

quote:
Originally posted by Oh My Gawd!!!:

and I don't understand why do you care...

You're always so polite, musiclover....

i know everyone's kind of on a production kick, but i was curious about your thoughts on Regina's vocal performance on far?

i've read that i'm not the only one who's noticed that she held back, as one person put it, "unevenly". i agree wholeheartedly. And it wasn't just annoying, it was /grinding on my nerves/!!! Not because i thought she sounded bad, but because she just shouldn't limit her vocals if it will compromise her control. And that's exactly what's happened here. it sometimes sounded like her voice was straining, but i tried to put it out of my mind, blame it on picky, picky perfectionism. But i played a song (i don't remember which) for my mom, and she pointed out that Regina was "getting older, and aparently losing some of her range."

So, i guess the reason this is hitting me so hard is that

1. i'm happy she's letting go a little in the recording studio (hello, jam session!), BUT i /did/ expect a certain standard to be met, vocally, that absolutely wasn't. and

2. i'm /scared/. Was my mom right? And, hey, any idiot could listen to any given recording of Regina from any given year, and know that she's talented. Say she /were/ having trouble with her old stuff. Does that mean she's "doomed"? No. But it does mean that she should perform songs within her new range. A lower voice isn't exactly the beginning of the end. But /is/ there a new range?

And this has been on my mind as of late, watching these live performances here and there. i understand that she has a cold, but what about before that? i felt myself making mental excuses for strained or lacking vocals. Something i'd never even considered necessary with Regina. And we've all heard her fudge a note here and there, but it felt sooo much more consistant on far. So, i don't know. i'm just venting and ranting about this to get it out of my system, mostly. But i'd like some honest opinions from people who care about her, rather than my pessimistic, *cough* middle-aged *cough* mom.

so, bottom line, were the vocal troubles i've been hearing on TV, radio, live shows, and the album itself the result of a changing voice, a nasty cold that won't quit, or a figment of my imagination? Because it seems like, even live, she won't belt.

I feel worried and anxious...