Sign in to follow this  
MusicLover_2007

Far "Purists vs Non-Purists"

intentional, you say? well, i hadn't even thaought of that... and i guess i'd be foolish to say that she never "acts" with her voice haha

idk, though.. i mean, there's no way to be sure. Even if, in some fairytale world, i got to ask her, i doubt i'd get a yes or no answer.

and there were other points on the album, too, but the same thing still stands: chances are, she wouldn't put it out there if she could have done it better.

Still it irks me. uggh... i just listened through the album again today (after lending it to a friend for a couple weeks) and i really do love it. it's a great compilation. but every once in a while you just hone in on a sour note, and wonder why it was necessary to have in the song. *sigh*

not to be a downer, because it really is a fantastic album, and i'm far from disappointed (no pun intended)

i actually do think she was straining. i don't think she can hit those notes in machine as well as she is trying to. that having been said, i think she wrote it that way on purpose. it fits the feel of the song. when it's live, she even makes the verses sound strained and choppy. all for the sake of the song itself.

i have always loved that about regina, she is more an srtist than a singer. she feels perfectly comfortable with sacrificing the quality of her vocal work to fit what she feels a song should sound like.

quote:
Originally posted by good > perfect:

i actually do think she was straining. i don't think she can hit those notes in machine as well as she is trying to. that having been said, i think she wrote it that way on purpose. it fits the feel of the song. when it's live, she even makes the verses sound strained and choppy. all for the sake of the song itself.

oo, well put! i agree.

although, i don't think the reason she sang the song out of her range was because it was outside of her limit and therefore suited the song, because, when writing, i don't think she ever limits herself to considering what her voice can and cannot do. So, rather than purposely writing it so that it would be a struggle, i think she's willing to struggle, because the song requires her voice to reach those notes, one way or another. So the strugle was a byproduct of how the song "should" have gone.

Though i guess it could be some of both-maybe it was difficult to sing the song the way she wrote it, but the straining suited it, and that's what it's doing on an album.

quote:

i have always loved that about regina, she is more an srtist than a singer. she feels perfectly comfortable with sacrificing the quality of her vocal work to fit what she feels a song should sound like.

I try to explain this to my friends who say she "can't sing." try to appreciate the vision, emotion, and the vibe. Not just runs and tone.

oh, and i feel better now, about the album.