quote:
Originally posted by Tamx:

quote:
Originally posted by Reginaoverdose:

quote:
Originally posted by JosephCa64:

quote:
Originally posted by RJLupin2:

While this seems like a great idea, what are actually the chances of Regina doing this?

A snow ball's chance in hell . . . would be the answer.

For anyone who hasn't noticed, Regina is fast becoming a big time pop-artist, in terms of record sales.

Say what you want about record labels, Lord knows they are evil. But, do you have any idea the amount of money Regina would have to invest to start her own label? Press and ship her own CDS, pay for her own promotion? Hire her own staffing?

Forget about it. You're talking millions and millions of dollars.

You're right. Then I hope she switches labels maybe.... like to Universal Music Group?

EMI is better in that sense. Look at all the creative control Radiohead were given while they were signed...

Also, I don't know if you guys have noticed, but

in her last concert she played the 'old' version

of Folding Chair despite having a full band there, I wonder if this means that she recorded Folding Chair the way she did at the request of her label...

Wouldn't surprise me considering it now appears that the label had more input than we might have originally thought.

Still, Far is a great album, and hopefully Reg will continue making records this good for the rest of her career.

Regina said in an early Far interview that Jeff was the one who suggested the ending change, and she initially said no, because ending it on a sixth was 'taking the beatles' note' and he said 'they don't own it,' and she said you're right.

Yeaheee...a negativity thread! Good thinking Smiler We need an outlet for the negative energy or else it clumps up inside and then it's baaaad!

OK. Since I haven't received my copy of the album yet (why did I order online?!) I can not be negative about the whole album...yet Razzer! Having heard however "Blue Lips", I have to say that the drums plus fake beat sounds ruin the song...Well, maybe not ruin, but distort its nature. In general I have nothing against more instruments apart from Regina and a piano, but in this case I think that the drums/beat were uncalled for.

Oh...and when I (we) say about the producers or the label influencing the final outcome, it doesn't mean it is a conspiracy. But it is a bit naive to think that when one says "complete artistic freedom", he/she means complete artistic freedom. Regina is not big enough yet to have reached this kind of status with her recording company. I'm certain that she was "advised" to make some compromises. And of course she would never say this in an interview, but it doesn't mean it's not true.

I'm afraid I'm not poetic enough...sorry Regina (if you ever read this...)! Regina's music is amazing anyway, and no drums or stupid beat sounds are going to change that! And yes, I also want an album every 6 months Smiler

Come on folks, Regina gets top producers to polish her songs and the interaction between such legends as Jeff Lynne and Regina cannot fail to have enhanced her work. Wink

Please do give us a break until you have listened to the album through at least twice a day since Monday like I have, then maybe you will appreciate the fact that the combined efforts have produced an album that is fascinating, great to listen to in the quiet of your bedroom, out in the car, in the kitchen and even just outside the bathroom! Big Grin

Well. I don't have many complaints about "Far".

Just that she holds back on her vocals (quite inconsistently as well, which is a tad bit annoying).

I know some singers like holding back in the studio - and let it rip during live performances - and I just wish Reg wasn't like that...Oh well.

EDIT: And it's only recently that she's been holding back her voice...it was on BTH that she started doing this "I'm gonna be tame in the studio" thing.

quote:
Come on folks, Regina gets top producers to polish her songs and the interaction between such legends as Jeff Lynne and Regina cannot fail to have enhanced her work.

At the risk of being less than poetic, I have to object to giving credit to the producers of Far. In my opinion some of the songs work better with the "enhancements" (e.g., Genius), some do not (e.g., Folding Chair), but I'm confident that the album overall would have been just as good if Joe Schmoe had produced it. In general, it drives me crazy to hear producers referred to as "legends" or "great" or "brilliant" as these four producers have been called. They may be musicians themselves, but they serve the record company in the capacity of businessmen, paid solely to generate hits. If they're considered great, it's only because they have gained a reputation for producing lucrative, largely-mediocre Top 40 hits for famous musicians.

Far is a great album to be sure, but not because of the producers. The best parts of those songs in my opinion are the brilliant lyrics, the spectacular, soaring melodies, and her gorgeous voice. Granted her voice may have "enhanced" more on Far than on previous albums, but the greatness of the album is pure Regina and not the producers. In fact all of the "enhancements" that the producers added to Far could have easily been conceived of and executed by a first-year music major—simple guitar and bass bits, simple drum and synthesizer ditties, and simple string and vocal arrangements. Where's the genius in that?