Sign in to follow this  
MusicLover_2007

Far "Purists vs Non-Purists"

I just cannot bring myself to answer the last post with respect to the producers that Regina has used on "far", except to say that over and over and over again Regina has repeated how much she got out of the exercise and she just said it AGAIN at Glastonbury! Razzer

quote:
Regina has repeated how much she got out of the exercise

Sorry I didn't make myself clear. I don't doubt that Regina got a lot out of the experience. Those producers have lots of knowledge and put together with Regina I suspect it was a blast, creatively and intellectually. I was specifically referring to how much they contributed to the greatness of Far. Of course we'll never know what Laughing With and Eet would have sounded like without the production. However, we do know about songs like Genius and Folding Chair because we can compare good-quality old and new versions. The differences are minor, musically speaking, and could have been done by practically anyone with basic knob-turnings skills.

quote:
Originally posted by Pavlov's Stepson:

Of course we'll never know what Laughing With and Eet would have sounded like without the production.

Not true. I heard them a week ago Wednesday without the production. Hopefully her tour will come somewhere near you so you can too...

I honestly think that some of you guys aren't appreciating Regina enough.

When I went to the Beacon, when One More Time With Feeling came on, I thought to myself "How can I criticize this women?! She is completely brilliant and I'm criticizing one of her songs, that she wrote, that came from her soul, harshly because it's not up to the live par!", I just felt like a spoiled child because I was disappointed in a song that I would have probably liked if I had never heard it before. And I've realized, what if Regina has always been more mainstream and we've just never been able to see it before because she's just never had the right tools/producers? Why can't it just be Regina that screwed up Regina's own music?

</rant>

This rant has been wanting to come out for a while and I just had to let it out now. I hope it's still in context...

Well MusicLover, i am not saying i could do any better, but i feel like the majority of the production for FAR doesn't contribute to the album.

when i think about production i like with regina... it's the vocal layers on Real Love...

I like a few additions.. the cello. the strings..

not a synth choir always, or a bunch of layers.

they sound nice! and i dont hate any song on far, but i feel like most of the atmospheric effect they are intended to have are better left to the imagination!!

And im not against drums either-- regina and anders griffen were an amazing pair. but sometimes a cheesy drum beat is not to my taste.

the production isn't bad.. Far's a great album. But i'd appreciate production that consistently adds to the song, rather than clouding it.

quote:
How dare anyone criticize the production on Far? Like you could do any better!

How dare we criticize in the Far Negativity Thread? Whoever started this thread should have stipulated that it's for praise only! ;-) But seriously, it's not a matter of whether we can do better. Millions of people could have done an equally good job. In my opinion many producers would have done a better job, like Gordon Gano or Jimbo Mathus, but it might have sounded much different and not have been as commercially viable.

"You can't fight in here, this is the War Room!" --President Merkin Muffley, Dr. Strangelove

quote:
some of you guys aren't appreciating Regina enough.

RJLupin2 makes a good point. Although this thread is directed toward the album Far, the songs will live on in many forms and arrangements and sung by many other fellows. They are the real strength of the album, and will withstand any criticism of the specific recordins in Far.

quote:
I'm feeling all negative that Jacko is taking up the first 15 slots on Amazon.com "top sellers". How stupid!

I know, huh? And blip.fm is littered with people playing his songs. Last night was worse--80% of songs in one random sample I took, but even today. As if we've never had the opportunity to hear him sing before....