Sign in to follow this  
MusicLover_2007

Far "Purists vs Non-Purists"

quote:
Originally posted by MusicLover_2007:

Next thing you know Regina will be doing Michael Jackson covers to satisfy demand!

Whoa, whoa, whoa. We may not all like her new style, but I think she's got more integrity than that! Wink

quote:
Originally posted by MusicLover_2007:

Next thing you know Regina will be doing Michael Jackson covers to satisfy demand!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

... but that would be kinda cool, you gotta admit Wink

quote:
Originally posted by Soiram:

But it is a bit naive to think that when one says "complete artistic freedom", he/she means complete artistic freedom. Regina is not big enough yet to have reached this kind of status with her recording company.

Though it may be hard to believe, little Regina Spektor, having headlined for audiences of at most 250 to 300 and having sold just a few thousand records, would not sign with any label until she was guaranteed precisely that--full creative control, from the first demo to the final master. Granted, that does not mean she can do absolutely anything she wants--if she were to insist on recording a 5-disc concept album with the London Symphony for six months and flying in 300 Tibetan monks to provide background chanting, then the label would be within their rights to say, "not with our money". But aside from budget, Regina answers to no one regarding the content of her records.

More broadly, I genuinely don't understand the general hostility toward the label here. By all accounts, Regina has an excellent relationship with them, and, by my account, the label (along with the rest of her support network) have done an outstanding job. The very fact that an artist as idiosyncratic as Regina is on the verge of debuting in the top 10, without benefit of saturation marketing or a top 40 radio hit, I think is a testament to the hard, solid work of all involved.

^^Thank you, srg, this is most beautifully said. I myself hate record companies but even I can see that WB is doing an excellent job. Reg is well promoted, far is amazingly produced, she is able to film videos with her friend, they pay for digipack packaging, LP release, litho printing and even Jeff Lynne (who had to be pretty expensive). Reg has the freedom to think about her music only. She doesn't have to worry about basic money needs. Not everyone is like Ingrid Michaelson, Trent Reznor or Amanda Palmer. These people need to have control over every single detail (not only artistic ones but ticket pricing or gig negotiations etc.). They are extremely workoholic. Regina is happy with her label we should be as well. WB/Sire haven't given me big enough reason to doubt their ability to give Regina its best.