Sign in to follow this  
internet

"How I lost my chance to see Regina", or "Some people tend to overreact."

I thought this would fit in the "Stories" section.

This year I was thrilled over being selected to work as a volunteer during the Hultsfred festival in Sweden the same year that Regina was going to perform.

I was even more thrilled over the fact that I was going to be part of the Artist transports-group, which perhaps could mean that there was a slim chance of me actually being the one to give Regina a ride from the airport to the festival.

Since I had read a post somewhere in this very forum that Regina liked a book called "Karlsson on the roof" by the late swedish author Astrid Lindgren, I thought that it would be neat to show Regina the author's birthplace which is just nearby of the festival site and in which a lot of the stories take place.

So I wrote an e-mail throught the only contact I could think of, her management office, offering, in a very polite manner, to show her that special place during the festival. I asked them to forward the message to Regina herself so that she could decide whether she found it interesting or not.

Just one very simple question.

Well, today I got a phone call from the Head of Security at Hultsfred festival saying that the people around Regina, (and possibly Regina herself, I wasn't told exactly who it was) had completely freaked out about the whole thing, and was worried that there was some psycho kidnapper trying to get his hands on Regina by luring her into this horrible place: www.vimmerbyturistbyra.se/eng

This resulted in me being kicked out of the volunteering group, and not being able to go and see Regina perform at all.

How's that for a story?

My thoughts around this is, besides just being plain disappointed, is that I wonder how come they didn't just reply to me instead of making this mess. I would have accepted a "No" for an answer and at least I could have seen her perform.

And I wonder if Regina ever got to see my e-mail or if all this was in the hands of her management. I would like to know if Regina, who always seems really sympathetic and nice, was this afraid of my invitation, or if it was the work of her "people".

Greetings from Sweden

I thought this would fit in the "Stories" section.

This year I was thrilled over being selected to work as a volunteer during the Hultsfred festival in Sweden the same year that Regina was going to perform.

I was even more thrilled over the fact that I was going to be part of the Artist transports-group, which perhaps could mean that there was a slim chance of me actually being the one to give Regina a ride from the airport to the festival.

Since I had read a post somewhere in this very forum that Regina liked a book called "Karlsson on the roof" by the late swedish author Astrid Lindgren, I thought that it would be neat to show Regina the author's birthplace which is just nearby of the festival site and in which a lot of the stories take place.

So I wrote an e-mail throught the only contact I could think of, her management office, offering, in a very polite manner, to show her that special place during the festival. I asked them to forward the message to Regina herself so that she could decide whether she found it interesting or not.

Just one very simple question.

Well, today I got a phone call from the Head of Security at Hultsfred festival saying that the people around Regina, (and possibly Regina herself, I wasn't told exactly who it was) had completely freaked out about the whole thing, and was worried that there was some psycho kidnapper trying to get his hands on Regina by luring her into this horrible place: www.vimmerbyturistbyra.se/eng

This resulted in me being kicked out of the volunteering group, and not being able to go and see Regina perform at all.

How's that for a story?

My thoughts around this is, besides just being plain disappointed, is that I wonder how come they didn't just reply to me instead of making this mess. I would have accepted a "No" for an answer and at least I could have seen her perform.

And I wonder if Regina ever got to see my e-mail or if all this was in the hands of her management. I would like to know if Regina, who always seems really sympathetic and nice, was this afraid of my invitation, or if it was the work of her "people".

Greetings from Sweden

Welcome to the stix internet.

I feel for you. Sorry it worked out the way it did.

reg has grown so much in popularity that she has been forced to insulate herself. My guess is that she never even saw your invite. But even if she had, in this day and age, I get why a fuss was made. It's their job to protect her.

There are some seriously whacked people in this world (maybe none in Sweden Wink ) that have caused this type of reaction to a seemingly wonderful gesture. Don't take this as a reflection on you or reg. That's not fair to either of you.

I have noticed an ever vigilant security presence around reg at each show I go to. What seems like an overeaction is unfortunately a sign of the times and the world we live in.

Again, I am sorry this all happened to you. Enjoy far!

Thanks!

So am I.

Well, it's not that I don't understand that she has a bunch of security people and stuff, but what amazes me in a mind-blowing, like, whoa!-sort of way is that anyone can be so paranoid as believing that someone would do such a thing and being so stupid as to sign the invitation with his or her real name. (Which can easily be checked with the festival management.)

And another thing that bothers me is fanmail not being forwarded to it's intended recipient. (If that's the case here, I don't know for sure.) And them not even replying to me, but instantly branding me as some nut not even worth responding to.

Are you saying that this level

of paranoia is common, everyday behaviour in the US? Since you don't seem as surprised as myself. To me, it's almost incomprehensible how someone can misinterpret my e-mail to that degree.

If it is, I sure am glad to be living in Sweden.

Concerning Far, I am enjoying it right now!

Peace and Love from Sweden.

internet, I'm sorry this happened to you! Something like this would make me really upset! Anyway, my guess on whether or not Regina actually read your e-mail would be no - and then the question is, how the person who read it actually interpreted it to her. I understand Regina needs security people around her at shows, but I would think that this was a reaction of her management, not her personally. Btw, I also find it incomprehensible that they wouldn't get in touch with you at all. I once wrote to 10 Downing Street with a seemingly stupid question, and got a reply nevertheless!

OMG what a story! It's baffling that they could misunderstand your intentions so badly, and a shame how they handled it. I suspect it's true that she's so popular now she needs insulation from her fans, and I'm sure Miccaela's correct that it was management's decision how to handle it and not Regina's. I bet for every decent person like you she has 10 weirdos trying to get at her, so they're overly cautions. Too bad--it looks like a lovely place and I bet Regina would have enjoyed it. I plan to go there next time I'm in Sweden!

I'm really sorry that this happened, I know I would be devastated to the point of not coming out of my room for a week (if not longer).

You guys don't think Regina has been receiving threats, do you?

I mean, I understand that protection is there job, but that just seems like a very over-the-top reaction for something that could have been handled so simply.

Wake up people....don't you read the news?....Whackos are everywhere....does John Lennon ring a bell?....No such thing as being too cautious these days....With that said I still empathize with internet's experience....It's a horrible way to live and it is a fact.

The worst thing you can say is, "I'm not a stalker or anything, but...".

I learned this the hard way when trying to approach former TV personality "Cooter" at his dinner theater in Pigeon Forge, TN. Like his sh#t don't stink...

And I believe I'm offended by the accusation "whacko".