Sign in to follow this  
Aonex

Regina faking?

Believe me guys, I wouldn't have started this thread if I didn't feel the same way. I've had several "discussions" (*cough* arguments) with my friend about this already and maybe she's just cynical, I have no idea.

I am 100% sure her screw-ups are accidental. There are two categories of Regifuckups though, and the way she handles them is very different. One of them I think could be categorized as "faking", but I prefer to think of it as "acting" or doing her "signature move".

The first category is wrong notes. She hits some really bizarre chords on the piano sometimes, like Man of a Thousand Faces at Beacon, toward the end. When this happen she just recovers, trying to play on like they teach you, as if it never happened.

The second category is when she forgets a lyric or sings the wrong words at the wrong time. In this case, in the past, she would say "uhh" or just stop a second, and then go "OH!" and jump back into the song. More recently, however, she will go to the audience for lyrics. This is super cute and everyone loves it, of course, so I would not be surprised to learn that she does it intentionally, whenever she forgets a lyric, even if she remembers it before the audience shouts it out. I'd say this has been the case since the middle of 2007 or so. I never saw her do it before that and I have to think I'm somewhere short to the top on number of Regina performances attended.

Now, I'm not saying she never got help from the audience before. That one recording of Love Affair from way back, she forgets the word "respectable" and when the audience tells her she goes on about how cool it is that "you guys know this shit". What I think might possibly have happened is that she realized how much the audience LOVED being able to tell her the lyric, and so she lets us all jump in be the hero now when the opportunity naturally arises.

eshbach,

what you're saying there is pretty logical...and I know you've seen a lot of Regina performances...I just don't think she "fakes" forgetting the lyrics.

I've seen her do it and since I'm a performer that actually does it...I can tell it's real.

I forget my songs all the time. You just go blank sometimes. Maybe you think that she's doing intentionally because she's secretly LOVING that everyone knows her lyrics and can shout them back at her. But that doesn't mean she does it on purpose to get that reaction.

But hey, that part is only my opinion. But it's an educated opinion! Haha! Being as that I'm a performer of original music as well.

That's just my two cents Big Grin

quote:
Originally posted by PilingAndTwisting:

eshbach,

what you're saying there is pretty logical...and I know you've seen a lot of Regina performances...I just don't think she "fakes" forgetting the lyrics.

I've seen her do it and since I'm a performer that actually does it...I can tell it's real.

I forget my songs all the time. You just go blank sometimes. Maybe you think that she's doing intentionally because she's secretly LOVING that everyone knows her lyrics and can shout them back at her. But that doesn't mean she does it on purpose to get that reaction.

But hey, that part is only my opinion. But it's an educated opinion! Haha! Being as that I'm a performer of original music as well.

That's just my two cents Big Grin

I don't think she fakes forgetting the lyrics, and I didn't say that as far as I can tell.

I think that when it happens, she just automatically goes to the audience to get them, rather than closing her eyes thinking really hard or whatever she would do to get them quickly in the past. It's kind of like "her thing" now, that's all.