Sign in to follow this  
Aonex

Regina faking?

After performing at my school's talent show and my recent piano recital I am now officially certain that Regina isn't faking. I haven't messed up at any of my performances yet, but the thought.....0__________0

I know this is an old thread but I don't think there's any chance that she's faking these mistakes. If you watch her perform at the White House on Youtube It's painfully obvious just how nervous she was and she made a ton of mistakes.

You don't go to the White House to perform in front of the President and First Lady and make mistakes to look cute. She was representing Jewish American heritage and clearly she would prefer a spotless performance. It might be nerves or it could simply be her trying to hard and thinking too much instead of just being in the moment and singing.

So I live with a musician and have been a performer for, well, a long time (though I'm all grown up now and no longer have the opportunities to be in choir and theater like I did in school) and I can tell you that -

1. The only legitimate reason an artist might "mess up" on purpose is to prove that shows aren't pre-recorded/autotuned/etc.

2. The things that fan see as "mistakes" are often changes that musicians make to their music. Despite what most fans think, a song is rarely complete even when it's recorded, and while many artists rely on the recorded versions of their songs, the best ones change it up sometimes, whether it's the music or the lyrics.

3. If Regina is anything like the other musicians I know, it's probably MORE nerve-wracking for her to perform in front of medium-small crowds than it is in front of a larger audience. The one I live with refuses to sing (performing, anyway) in front of just me, except on very special occasions. Particularly when the musician is expected to mingle with the audience after the show.

Attention-seeking behavior in making mistakes onstage? Not likely, especially not for such a talented and true musician like Regina. Even after 15 years of being onstage, I screw up karaoke, and the lyrics are right in front of me - it's just something that happens sometimes. And she pulls it off charmingly.

My junior research paper is on Judy Garland (sidenote: how awesome is it that I get to do it on her? it doesn't even feel like work!) and I read somewhere that she used to mess up words on purpose, I guess so her audience could relate to her. She didn't forget words like regina does but just switch around a lyric every so often (after all, she had a band to be fair to) Anyway, if Judy did it, I have no beef with reg if she does.

quote:
Originally posted by SmallTownMoon:

My junior research paper is on Judy Garland (sidenote: how awesome is it that I get to do it on her? it doesn't even feel like work!) and I read somewhere that she used to mess up words on purpose, I guess so her audience could relate to her. She didn't forget words like regina does but just switch around a lyric every so often (after all, she had a band to be fair to) Anyway, if Judy did it, I have no beef with reg if she does.

I absolutely love Judy Garland. Probably the most beaten up actress there ever was. That woman worked as hard as a ditch digger. Her money and notoriety was either extremely well earned or still didn't do her justice. As far as I'm concerned, Judy could have all sorts of planned fake outs and I'd still be crazy about her.

BUT I don't think Regina does that. Not to be defensive or anything like that. I just know it's natural. If you follow her career and listen to interview after interview, it is just like her to screw up during a song. Forgetting words is her personality.

She definitely doesn't fake.. I refuse to believe that. It's so adorable when she messes up (hense my signature haha) and I hope she does have some mishaps when I see her the first time next month.

I'm looking forward to it haha.