Sign in to follow this  
Reginaoverdose

Bittersweet News!

quote:
Originally posted by andreseng:

Rosa

Try not to let the distance influence your decision. Liking the university should be a higher priority. You can always go home! Good luck with everything coming your way.

I couldn't agree more. I moved from Pennsylvania to California for college, and being that far away forced me to break out of my secure little world and venture into reality (or at least San Luis Obispo, a nice intermediate between childhood fantasy land and the real word).

Sure, the first couple of weekends sucked because everyone went home or whatever, but that just means you'll have to venture even farther outside your comfort zone to find things to do, and those are often the best experiences.

Thanks, George. Smiler

quote:
Originally posted by eshbach:

I moved from Pennsylvania to California for college, and being that far away forced me to break out of my secure little world and venture into reality (or at least San Luis Obispo, a nice intermediate between childhood fantasy land and the real word).

Ah, wow. Much bigger difference! Smiler And you're right. There's a university 30 minutes from where I live which my sister goes to, but it's not that great. A lot of people at my school end up going there...it's kind of known as a cop-out school. I like that it's so close, but my standards are higher than that. Going far away is probably what I need.

quote:
Originally posted by Rosa!:

My bittersweet news is that yesterday I visited UT Austin (Longhorn Saturday!). I really, really liked it, but I don't like that it's far away from where I live (although it could be farther...one girl came from Chicago), and anyway, I still don't feel ready for college. I can't believe how close I am to adulthood. Eeker

it seems overwhelming now, but by the time nine months of school pass, you'll be dying to leave. at least that is how I felt. Razzer and living far from home will be difficult sometimes but I think it's something everyone needs to experience sometime. you'll do well at whatever you decide!

quote:

My bittersweet news is that yesterday I visited UT Austin (Longhorn Saturday!). I really, really liked it, but I don't like that it's far away from where I live (although it could be farther...one girl came from Chicago), and anyway, I still don't feel ready for college. I can't believe how close I am to adulthood. Eeker

The wonderful thing about the responsibilities of being an adult is that you also get the freedoms that come with it. The nice thing is that in college, while you have to be responsible for your own actions, that doesn't stop you from being a kid sometimes.

My bittersweet news is that I leave for school in a week. I miss New York desperately, but I have someone here that I would give up living in the city for in an instant.

quote:

Thanks, George. Smiler

quote:
Originally posted by eshbach:

I moved from Pennsylvania to California for college, and being that far away forced me to break out of my secure little world and venture into reality (or at least San Luis Obispo, a nice intermediate between childhood fantasy land and the real word).

Ah, wow. Much bigger difference! Smiler And you're right. There's a university 30 minutes from where I live which my sister goes to, but it's not that great. A lot of people at my school end up going there...it's kind of known as a cop-out school. I like that it's so close, but my standards are higher than that. Going far away is probably what I need.

I recommend (while obviously going for academics) going to college as far away from wherever you grew up as feasibly possible :P (Seriously)

It's quite a dilemma you got there Emelie... and I don't think I'm in any position to help you. I want to say go to Australia, but if it was me I would probably take the job and then be mad at myself for it.

My bittersweet news concern conceeerts! The popaganda festival in stockholm (right by my school) had sold out which made us really depressed at first... Turns out it was a really sucessful night anyways. I got to know a few new people from my new school, sitting outside the festival and enjoying a picknick. Great sound and GREAT view of the large stage. So I got to se First Aid Kit and Belle and Sebastian (and hear Ellie Goulding) for free Smiler even if it was from a distance.

Also, Kate Nash concert has an age limit of 18... At least my wallet is happy about it.