Sign in to follow this  
RJLupin2

General Questions

This thread is just for questions that don't necessarily involve Regina, but just involve questions that you feel others might be able to answer. (I did look and I did not succeed in finding a thread that resembles this one, and besides, it's good to have in the FAQ section, am I right?)

My Question:

Does anyone know anything about Violins? I've been really wanting to learn and I don't really know anything about them.

Are they hard to learn?

Should I get lessons, or is it something that I can teach myself?

Also, can anyone tell me if this would be a good violin to buy if I were to buy one? Like I said, I'm not really familiar with Violins so any info/help would be greatly appreciated.

This thread is just for questions that don't necessarily involve Regina, but just involve questions that you feel others might be able to answer. (I did look and I did not succeed in finding a thread that resembles this one, and besides, it's good to have in the FAQ section, am I right?)

My Question:

Does anyone know anything about Violins? I've been really wanting to learn and I don't really know anything about them.

Are they hard to learn?

Should I get lessons, or is it something that I can teach myself?

Also, can anyone tell me if this would be a good violin to buy if I were to buy one? Like I said, I'm not really familiar with Violins so any info/help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you, Lilly! I really do appreciate it!

I looked at that website, it's very interesting. Violins seem so complicated! But I believe that I'd be able to learn Smiler

I played the violin for several years. It was quite hard and I hated it because I was forced to play etudes and learn musical scales by heart, blueh. I can't really recommend taking lessons to anyone. If you buy some books and stuff you won't need lessons. However, violin is one of the more difficult instruments to master.

The amazon link is for a 1/4 violin! That's kid's size! How tall are you? The rule is when you hold your violin (under your chin) you have to able to grasp the end of the violin and still be able to see your fingertips (if that makes sence). My advice is go to a musicshop and try different sizes, let the shop keeper assist you and then buy online if you want to.

^wow, that one looks cool Eeker but bow is not included...I'm not sure you'd be able to find a metalic one to go with that violin. Honestly, I think it's fine, you can't expect miracles from a mass produced instrument but you are not playing concert halls just yet, so yeah, find a cheap one + add a bow, rosin, case and a shoulder rest (otherwise your neck & shoulders are gonna hurt pretty baaaad Wink )

This is somewhat related to the violin topic, and since there are some stringed-instrument people here, I might as well ask.

On a whim, I decided that I want to learn how to play the cello. Unfortunately, however, cellos are entirely uncharted territory for me. I've heard they're very very difficult, but whenever I take lessons to learn an instrument it makes it boring for me. That's how I ended up quitting piano and then taking it up again years and years later and teaching myself buttloads of Regina songs.

So, I have lots of basic questions, and just really need basic information. I went to our local music store this morning to check cellos out maybe to possibly rent one, but I know nothing. So... help?

Also, I'm kind of an instant gratification kind of person. I want to be able to play the music I want to play, not the music that leads up to the music that I want to play. It's kind of unfortunate. It's how with piano, I went from playing Hot Cross Buns to Chopin's Fantasie Impromptu in one fell swoop. I'm just now starting to learn technique that I probably should've known before. But piano, you can kinda cheat. Cello, not so much.

So... again... help?