Sign in to follow this  
MusicLover_2007

The "Far" bonus songs

I don't think "Man of a Thousand Faces" or "Human of the Year" are about religion.

I think the latter is about Humanity and how everyone is connected and the former is about someone suffering from a very sad mental illness.

quote:
Originally posted by PilingAndTwisting:

quote:
Originally posted by RJLupin2:

How is Human of the Year a religious themed song?

Probably because of this:

(still doesn't mean that it's about religion though! hehe)

"...the Icons are whispering to you, they're just old men..."

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Icon

See Definition 2

i always interpreted it as a satirical view of organized religion. like, for example in catholicism (because of the icons reference) they set out all of these rules for how you should live. but she is trying to say no one is going to congratulate you or give you a reward for living your life properly and "by the rules."

also the line "and though they do not know it, all mankind are now your brothers..." i feel like she's trying to say that should be true anyway, regardless of whether or not you are devout.

^ Well, that's a very good interpretation of it.

I find Regina's songs can have so many meanings. It's awesome.

Just like the whole "Dance Anthem" debate, whether it's about enjoying casual hook-ups or the flip side - being sad about the lack of connecting deeply with someone.

She is just so awesome.

quote:

I don't think "Man of a Thousand Faces" or "Human of the Year" are about religion.

I think the latter is about Humanity and how everyone is connected and the former is about someone suffering from a very sad mental illness.

I didn't say they were "about" religion. I said they had religious themes.

quote:
also the line "and though they do not know it, all mankind are now your brothers..."

That's sort of like "Imagine" but without the hypocrisy.

quote:
Originally posted by mooebon:

I still think Man of 1000 Faces is about a drug trip.

As for Human of the Year, seems like it's telling a kind of everyman story, with humor and sympathy.

I think the man of a thousand faces is an drug addict battling his addiction (unsuccessfully.) Frowner

quote:

^ Well, that's a very good interpretation of it.

I find Regina's songs can have so many meanings. It's awesome.

Just like the whole "Dance Anthem" debate, whether it's about enjoying casual hook-ups or the flip side - being sad about the lack of connecting deeply with someone.

She is just so awesome.

i love that too! one song can keep just rotating in your brain, and you start to see all of these new sides of it. that's why i fell in love with regina's music in the first place.

oh and ps. i like your interpretation too- i actually had somehow not even seen it before i posted mine lmao. and i remained ignorant of that post until just now. but yeah, it's one of those things- it can be religious themed and not at the same time. somehow or other. it's wondrous. Big Grin