Sign in to follow this  
BloodRoses

Tori Amos

i do love tori. her music, lyrics and her inspiration has helped me a lot while i was growing up.

in her time she was a voice for people going through difficult emotions however i think it is only fair to say tori has started to lose her plot shortly after the choirgirl album and even though the albums from venus to beekeeper hold some brilliant songs as a whole they weren't quality - beekeeper in particular showed an artist having an inspirational block. She's also showed a poor performabce during her concerts last year (with the exception of Patti Smith's Meltdown) while she was trying to show of the audience she could play the keyboard and piano at the same time while sacrifing notes.

Word is Tori's new album after her 5CD collection set will be like the choirgirl hotel which sounds promising.

Music wise i don't see any relation to regina, apart from that both women can play the piano and keyboard perfectly well and have a good vocal range. In fact each woman is unique. They are influenced by different things, they tell different stories. With Regina you get the story as it is, whereas Tori tells a story which sometimes is imcomprehensible. I would also say Regina's melodies are closer to classical compositions whereas Tori's are more experimental.

so if Regina is not over the moon with the comparisons, she certainly has a good point.

That last post was one of the most sensible I have seen on this subject. Smiler

I agree that Tori Amos produced two cracking first albums then got weirder and weirder, "Mr Zebra" being an instance! Confused

I saw Tori live in Nottingham about a decade ago and she was quite lovely, but her latest albums have confused me and I found "From The Choirgirl Hotel" to be the start of her confused phase. Frowner

She did have miscarriages and other problems that could be the reason for this and I bought "The Beekeeper" and enjoyed some tracks but not the whole concept. Wink

Just as Tori was in her turn compared to Kate Bush, they have now both seemed to become far too complicated with their songs and albums.

Then along came Regina, bright as a button, zany as a zebra and firing on all cylinders to grab my attention and I enjoyed seeing her live in Brighton some weeks ago. Cool

I saw Kate Bush live at The London Palladium in her original, one and only fantastic tour, where she completely blew me away with her dance routines and theatricality but "Aerial" left me cold. Frowner

quote:
I agree that Tori Amos produced two cracking first albums then got weirder and weirder, "Mr Zebra" being an instance!

haha, Mr.Zebra is one of my favorite songs!

quote:

I saw Tori live in Nottingham about a decade ago and she was quite lovely, but her latest albums have confused me and I found "From The Choirgirl Hotel" to be the start of her confused phase. Frowner

Frowner

...and I love choirgirl.Its like this beautiful hole you can crawl into.

Having been a fan of Tori Amos for years, and entirely new to Regina Spektor's wonderful

sound, I was struck with the surface similarities after a few songs; however, I can understand why Regina would take offense.

Tori seems a woman pummeled by life, and blessed enough to possess the incredible amount of talent to shed light on everything she has been through. Tori Amos' lyrics surrounding

many topics come across as angst and avoid becoming trivial by the heartfelt manner in which she sings. Her words are numbing, an anaesthetic for the human condition.

Regina Spektor comes across as an entirely different flavor. I hear her voice and I feel

like I'm in kindegarten sitting on the floor listening to an overzealous teacher tell the most wonderful story with giant flourishes and quick smiles. She is captivating and witty with serious subject matter without coming across as morose. Even in her saddest songs, she dwells on the smallest humorous detail like a toy sailboat in a storm. That boat is all you see. It's all you need to keep your mind off of the surrounding sorrow. Tori thrives on sorrow, as is her right after all she's been through, but so much that it weighs heavy on the listener.

Comparing the sound of these two women is like comparing a wine to beer. Is the creation of one any more complex than another? No, aside from the fermenting of years. If anything, I think what can be compared is the emotion that these artists elicit. Just like a wine, Tori Amos makes me think of dark occassions, the fumblings of adolescence, with focused emotion. Regina's sound makes me miss my childhood friends, too few random days with my grandmother, and the first time that I kissed my wife. I'll take the beer and smile each time before I drink.