Sign in to follow this  
BloodRoses

Tori Amos

I've always been a huge Tori Amos fan, and I can understand how people would compare the two. It's because they are both passionate women that play beautiful music on the piano. But thats where the comparison ends. Tori Amos talks to fairies, it's where her music comes from. Thats why it's imagry is hard to understand....the good thing about not knowing what a song means is that you can make it your own, and it's meaning can change over time with you. Regina's songs have a similar quality, but they are HER songs, and she makes them HERS.

Tori is my all time fav. I have been listening to her for over 6 years now and I've had the honor of meeting her twice. She is one of the most talented artists out there. If you have ever seen her live..wow! She can improv like no one I've ever seen.

I am very attached to the piano myself and actually heard regina's music on launchcast and she has been casted into the Tori pool but they are nothing alike in their music and singing. I like Regina's music a lot! First song I have heard was chemo limo. Wink I can understand not wanting to be compared to another artist because they all want to stand out..but unfortunately Tori was the original girl with the piano and people will always compare them.

quote:
heard regina's music on launchcast and she has been casted into the Tori pool but they are nothing alike in their music and singing. I like Regina's music a lot! First song I have heard was chem

Okay! So I had to post in this thread!

I've been a Tori fan since Under the Pink (in, what? 1994?), but it was really Boys for Pele in '96 that converted me into a (so far) life long Tori fan.

I don't see a ton of similarities between Tori's and Regina's style except that you can tell that both are classically trained pianists.

I think, as Regina said, her songs are each little short stories, whereas Tori seems to sing on a more abstract level -- especially with her latest "concept albums."

For Tori virgins, I'd recommend getting into her with the big 3: LE, UTP, BFP first, then going to Choirgirl. After that, well, do as you like, as it's still rather a jumbled mess for me after Choirgirl. Not that I don't love it! Wink

P.S. Some of my favourite Tori songs are improvs/b-sides. So check out songs like "Sugar" and "Honey" before writing her off!

There are seriously that many Tori Amos fans. I personally think she has very good piano playing skills but she just feeds off of that 'cause I don't think her lyrics or vocal style is that impressive or entertaining. I also think by all the press and people constantly comparing Regina to these other female singers/piano players like she couldn't of done it without them leading the way is ridiculous. It's like no matter how original or personal Regina makes her music she will always be brought back down to their level, so to me its no suprise she made the comment about least liking to be compared to Tori Amos who is usually associated with starting that style of music or at least making it popular. One more thing, if Regina happened to be casted into the proverbial "Tori pool", then she left her drowning in the deepend, 'cause Regina surpassed Tori with ease and progression. Sorry for the cruel mental image but thats the best way I can express my point of view.

actually I would have to disagree. Not trying to stir up anything but Tori's voice is far more powerful and strong. Her piano skill isn't as impressive as Tori's either. Tori was a child prodigy who is still to this day the youngest to be admitted into the peabody conservatory. I am in no way bashing Regina because I really do like her music otherwise I would not be here. She is still growing as every artist does and I find Regina to be very intriguing and talented. Trying to compare them is unfair because they are their own person and I adore them both.

And I know that it may not be believed but in a small way yes Tori did pave the way for all piano based artists. They didn't want to sign Tori because there was supposedly no audience base and she has proven them wrong and therefore look at all the artists since Tori who have been signed a record deal because they sing and play piano. Fiona Apple, Vanessa Carlton, and many others including Regina.

Tori did pave the way for many artists and I'm grateful. However, after recently becoming a listener of Tori's music I find it hard to compare the two. Regina's music and writing reminds me more of the a quirky Bob Dylan sort of lyrical standpoint. ( Sorry, but I had to make a comparison) With Tori's music I am unable to really get into the lyrics. She writes from what seems her own standpoint in all her songs. From listening to Spektor's I find a world that might be completely foriegn to her own reality. I'd comment more on her piano playing technique, but unfortunately from a novice piano players standpoint I can't really say much.

Later Days

Shawn

Though I could continue disputing this, I feel we are just convincing ourselves of who we are more fond of, rather than eachother of who is a better artist. We can't change one another's musical preferences so there's nothing to argue and everything is on good terms.

Django it think that is the best end to this thread there could be. Except for the fact I'm making this post. Oops!

Later Days

Shawn

I don't want it to end!!

The only similarity is that they are both female piano players to me. Completely different in style.

At the moment, Regina is the most exciting of the two (Tori is almost boring me rigid right now and I never thought I'd say that as she's been the soundtrack to my life for so long).

She's slipped a notch letting Regina take top spot ;o)

And yes, imagery and lyrics can be heavy and obscure in Tori songs, but that's her charm. Shame she seems to have forgotten that of late; oh and the piano playing...