Sign in to follow this  
BloodRoses

Tori Amos

Yes,well,ok..I'm A big fan of both Regina and Tori.I say they are a lot different,but compared to some other people their similiar.

The press needs someone who'd be likely to buy the album and i think most tori fans would.Umm..oh and I saw where some of you said that tori's lyrics were to closed.We'll I kinda laugh at that.I thought the same thing at first,but if you really start digging deeper and start listening to her music often,I feel that you kind of start thinking like her.Once you start thinking like her I think you can see how the comparsion is not to bad.They both like to play with words and thoughts.I think one differnce is that tori is a leo and regina is an aquarius.Leo's are fierce,auquarius more playful.Those are just my thoughts,but I've had WAY to much coffee and No sleep so....

Tori Amos is posting all of these comparisons herself so that we will listen to her music. Someone please stop her! A celebrity deathmatch comes to mind. Clearly Regina would destroy.

Also, Amos sounds alot like Stamos... "ssssSTAMOS!" -Pricipal Scudworth

Give thanks to JohnnyC for directing me to this thread.

There are clear indicators of Toris influence in Reginas music and quite frankly her image. But the similarities are very subtle. In no way am I suggesting that Regina is trying to mimic Tori in any way, but given that I've been following Tori for 13 years, seen her live 10 times, and have met her about 6 times, it's not that far of a stretch to say that on a few levels there is an influence there.

Notwithstanding, Regina has a far more interesting presentation and delivery of her own music. If this wasn't the case, than she wouldn't have come this far. She would have been written off as a Tori carbon copy. But seeing as this isn't the case, she has made an impact and she will share in similar success.

IMAO Regina shouldn't dislike the comparisons between herself and Tori, rather embrace them. They both are very attractive and unique artists with unique styles and playing characteristics that seperate them by miles, however to use a bit of a metaphore, they use similar colors in their music.

I hope that Regina enjoys monumental success and I eagerly await a west coast tour. Her concert would be an absolute joy to attend.

Tori Big Grin

*Grins more*

I love both Tori and Regina , somehow I've never placed them in the same catagory. When I heard people comparing Regina to Tori, I was like "Ugh, it's like that time they said Dido is the new Alanis". Well anyway, my two cents. I can see how Tori fans can be potential Regina fans - maybe they are people who are more open to her kind of music as say, Kelly Clarkson fans would be.Hehe.

My two cents.

Dear Vooduguru & JohnnyC,

Your little spat on the Shows thread has been very entertaining! I'm glad we're all getting along now! I love both Regina and Tori, and I understand how you can see them both as similar and totally different. Why do we always have to think within the confines of a duality system? BAHUMBUG to polemics...

~Fran

Hehehe. Oh Fran... Don't be disappointed.

I would like to resist but I can't help but address a glaring statement.

*blushes*

quote:
Originally posted by Vooduguru:

There are clear indicators of Toris influence in Reginas music and quite frankly her image.

I'm sorry to inform you, but Regina's music is not at all influenced by Tori. Nor is her 'image'. Quite frankly that's offensive to her famous individuality. I wonder, is there a basis for this comment besides your perceptions?

If you don't know already, Regina was blissfully not a follower of pop music for much of her life, knowing mostly the joys of great classical composers and the Beatles! Then there were the jazz influences in her college era (and subsequently on 11:11), and a finding of her own sound through the Songs years and into the Soviet Kitsch album - which she wrote without even knowing who The-media-saturating-Strokes were at the time, nevermind Tori-freaking-Amos. Sheesh. Even much of Begin to Hope had already been written at that time.

Anyway, by all means if you want to assume incorrect influences on Regina, please do. But followers of Regina's music, and those that read her interviews (ie. the most notorious, Bartender on these forums) know better.

Her 'image' by the way is completely her own, and if there are similarities, I can assure you that they are coincidental. Unless of course you are speaking to her 'image' on the BTH album cover... in which case, I can't comment, because I don't know where that style came from. The safe bet though, is that it has absolutely nothing to do with TA.

hahaha...Alright. You can't argue fact! I agree with your research. (Although before it seemed more like you were battling out opinion, didn't this whole conversation start as 'genre'? In terms of the genre, I think Vooduguru may be correct...Most people I know who like Regina also love Tori...I think it's time for a poll!)

tori-amos.jpg

regina-spektor.jpg

There are similarities. For some reason, JohnnyC thinks that I am trying to take away from Reginas individuality, that couldn't be farther from reality. Oh look, I'm a poet, and don't even know it. Wink Since the industry actually controls a lot of things, it's just interesting to see patterns emerge. Much like the 80's hair band, the 90's boy bands scene etc.

I concede. The photos have proven the indisputable facts. Regina obviously would not have been conceived had Tori Amos not been born first! I know that makes her no less important than say, a younger sibling would be, but hey, at least Regina gets all the hand-me-downs right? Like dillusional fans for instance... :P