Sign in to follow this  
MusicLover_2007

Genius Next Door meaning

I think that at the heart of the song, it is a simple sci-fi narrative, and I didn't feel as though it had any particular 'big issues' so to speak.

From what I gather though, it seems as though the 'Genius Next Door' commits suicide by drowning, probably unintentionally whilst trying to discover 'the answer' that you could find by swimming in the lake.

I do think it does touch on the areas of:

- How towns/people handle myths, e.g. disapproval, mocking, curiousness, ignorance.

- How life moves on after a death or big event.

- And also how the 'genius next door' seemed to be a loner, and how death his can be treated in such an apathetic manner to those who didn't know him, e.g. 'with doughnuts, coffee, and reports'

http://www.songmeanings.net/so...3530822107858590066/

i like this explanation:

""dreaming that the antidote is orgasm" - many believe that when a person drowns, they experience a euphoric sensation at the moment of death, comparable to an intense orgasm.

I believe maybe the lake had a reputation- the teenagers would go there to party, and dare eachother to hold their breath a long time underwater, hoping to achieve the fabled orgasm while still surviving to tell about it. Instead, many drowned- but this did not keep the kids from going back. They were foolish. Perhaps they joked that those young men who died had ejaculated in those waters... inspiring the humor in the consistency of the lake itself. The townspeople obviously did not find it appropriate to talk about what went down at the lake."

Wow...

That kind of ruined the song for me just now.

I mean I still love it. But listening to those first few lines. "But I swear that I could hear the laughter.

So they joke, and they nicknamed it "the porridge."

Cause over night that lake had turned as thick as butter"

Kind of gross...

(I'm sorry for pointing this out people.)

I always thought of "thick as butter" as an appearence thing. Like foam from beer or when kids get drunk and pee in the lake...

but yea. I've never quite understood the "meaning" of this song. I did go look at others comments on songmeanings.com and I read that one too haha. A little far fetched for me to believe but it does make sense if you look at the lyrics. A very interesting take on the song. I've never heard of the whole "orgasm intensity" thing if you die from drowning so thats why it's tough for me to believe

All I know is that I think the genius kills himself in the water that night, whether it be accidental or intentional idk. I see evidence for both

This guy on song meaning say's he/she met Regina and she explained it to them.

" met regina not too long ago and she explained to me this song...

basically..

lad or "genius" was called the genius cause he was the lad who figure out about that orgasm before death,

so loads of people tried it, ejaculating and whatnot making it as thick as porridge, and he planned to comit suicide, so he "wade midway into that poridge

Just him and the secret he was keeping"

and then yeah when its says " til you thought it through you foolish child" he actaully realised it wasnt worth it, he was a foolish child.

"In the morning the film crews start arriving

With donuts, coffee and reporters

The kids were waking up hung over

The neighbours are starting up their cars

The garbageman were emptying the dumpsters

Atheists were praying full of sarcasm"

Obvious they wer goin on like a normal day and stuf blah blahh...

"And the genius next door was sleeping"(dead)

you know when they say that death is like being asleep? she was playing on that... saying that hes

Dreaming that the antidote is orgasm

when it says dreaming that the antidote is orgasm, it actaully means dreaming that the answer to his problems is death,

so there you have it kids, spoken from the true regina skeptor herself, she has an amazing vioce live i definatly recomend anyone the see her (: "

He also said this

"You konw regina actaully wanted the lyrics to be " and wade midway into that poridge, swimming in the secret he was keeing" because it sounded more poetic but she changed it incase people didnt get it.

how humble of her (:"

Reg doesn't usually like to talk about meanings of lyrics. Is this person lying or telling the truth? I still like this theory.

quote:
Originally posted by baby jesus:

This guy on song meaning say's he/she met Regina and she explained it to them. " met regina not too long ago and she explained to me this song...

I'm very very hesitant to believe that Regina actualy explained the song to this person because as we all know from many interviews she hates explaining what her songs mean...

but for me, figuring out the meaning of this song is quite interesting. It's one of the firsts I fell in love with and I still can't grasp whatever I believe it to be. And when I read about the orgasm theory it complicated things more haha