Sign in to follow this  
BabyImBadNews

"Far"- a portuguese newspaper review

First of all, sorry if this text contains english mistakes, I translated it myself and my english is a little bit rusty these days Frowner I found it on a much respected Portuguese newspaper called "Expresso" and it was in a section called "Special Suggestion". I decided to share it with because I think it is really flattering and it shows our Regina's world impact. I also hope that this media attention will bring her FINALLY to Portugal Big Grin

Here it is, written by João Lisboa:

quote:
Today there is no one writing songs like Regina Spektor. And even if it may scare the first fans that will never see with good eyes the idea that their indie secret treasure has become accessible to everyone - the good news are that such an excellent songwriter (specially since "Begin to Hope") has conquered visibility that allows to establish herself at the bad visited charts. Maybe because that it isn’t obvious that it would happen to - this younger but less disturbing Fiona Apple sister, Joni Mitchell and Laura Nyro oblique descendent, with Björk’s esthetical indetermination, a bizarre but less hippie Kate Bush and with Suzanne Vega surgical lyricism – this self-mockery stylist writes phrases like “but sometimes I forget I got a perfect body cause my eyelashes catch my sweat”, non of this was destined to her. So, “Far” is this pure and refined classicism pop with enough loose edges to shuffle the chances of immediate interpretation, enough traces of the primordial punk piano with conservatory education, enough uncomfortable visions of the future (“And I’m downloaded daily, I am part of a composite, hooked into machine”), enough movie tatters (“I found a wallet, inside were pictures of your small family, you are so young, your hair dark brown, you had been born in 1953”), and enough poisoned haikus (“Two birds on a wire, one tries to fly away and the other watches him close from that wire, he says he wants to as well, but he is a liar”). “Far” is apparently warm like a summer breeze.

First of all, sorry if this text contains english mistakes, I translated it myself and my english is a little bit rusty these days Frowner I found it on a much respected Portuguese newspaper called "Expresso" and it was in a section called "Special Suggestion". I decided to share it with because I think it is really flattering and it shows our Regina's world impact. I also hope that this media attention will bring her FINALLY to Portugal Big Grin

Here it is, written by João Lisboa:

quote:
Today there is no one writing songs like Regina Spektor. And even if it may scare the first fans that will never see with good eyes the idea that their indie secret treasure has become accessible to everyone - the good news are that such an excellent songwriter (specially since "Begin to Hope") has conquered visibility that allows to establish herself at the bad visited charts. Maybe because that it isn’t obvious that it would happen to - this younger but less disturbing Fiona Apple sister, Joni Mitchell and Laura Nyro oblique descendent, with Björk’s esthetical indetermination, a bizarre but less hippie Kate Bush and with Suzanne Vega surgical lyricism – this self-mockery stylist writes phrases like “but sometimes I forget I got a perfect body cause my eyelashes catch my sweat”, non of this was destined to her. So, “Far” is this pure and refined classicism pop with enough loose edges to shuffle the chances of immediate interpretation, enough traces of the primordial punk piano with conservatory education, enough uncomfortable visions of the future (“And I’m downloaded daily, I am part of a composite, hooked into machine”), enough movie tatters (“I found a wallet, inside were pictures of your small family, you are so young, your hair dark brown, you had been born in 1953”), and enough poisoned haikus (“Two birds on a wire, one tries to fly away and the other watches him close from that wire, he says he wants to as well, but he is a liar”). “Far” is apparently warm like a summer breeze.

Thanks! It wasn't too bad, either! I was able to understand what the translation was trying to say. It's so good to see her music spreading so internationally!

quote:
Originally posted by BabyImBadNews:

enough traces of the primordial punk piano with conservatory education

And for some reason I realllly liked that description. Though probably because that's exactly what it is, haha.