Sign in to follow this  
MusicLover_2007

Reg's true voice

It's interesting how on 11:11 she has this affected voice that sounds like Ani DiFranco for most of that album. But then on "Songs" going forward she sings in her true voice which is more child-like if you know what I mean. The question is which one do you prefer?

It's interesting how on 11:11 she has this affected voice that sounds like Ani DiFranco for most of that album. But then on "Songs" going forward she sings in her true voice which is more child-like if you know what I mean. The question is which one do you prefer?

That's an interesting question, Musiclover... In truth, each song has its own subtly distinct voice (different accents, inflections, vocal quirks, dynamics pepper all of her music). I think it's not possible to pick a preference, as the voice is as much part of the song as the lyrics, piano accompaniment, etc... But man do I love her 11:11 style... "There was a love affair..."

I love the jazzy sound on 11:11, and the deep quirky voice in Songs and SK (Chemo Limo, Prisoners, etc...). Then her voice sounds kind of sweet on Begin to Hope and Far, but we still have Genius next door, Machine, Aprés moi... I just love how she plays with her voice!

Do you suppose it's maybe possible that she never actually 'put on' and sort of voice or style, but has actually played around with all of them? I think that 11:11 was more jazzy because she started feeling jazzy. And truly, each song does have it's own style, and "voice" as you put it.

And if she does try to conform her voice to something, don't you think she's be doing it more so now, with producers, and media, and record label pressures?

However the other day, I listened to some of 11:11 and then some of Far and noticed... Her voice has changed. In the same sense that a teenage boy's voice changes. Not so drastically, but it has gotten slightly deeper and just sounds... More grown-up now? Yeah.

I think every single one of her songs is her true voice. She's too creative to try to explain it another way.

As much as I love far I don't think her voice has gone better. Yes, she may have learned new techniques, control and sounds more "classical" but the voice lost some spontaneity and emotion. The core is still there but the edge is too smooth for me. On the other hand she tours quite a lot. Many artists have problems with their voices when they don't sing right/properly. If the training helps protecting her from sore throath or, god forbid, losing her voice then good for her, good for us!!

quote:
Originally posted by Appt:

As much as I love far I don't think her voice has gone better. Yes, she may have learned new techniques, control and sounds more "classical" but the voice lost some spontaneity and emotion. The core is still there but the edge is too smooth for me.

I agree with that.

I'm telling you guys, 11:11 and Songs are the hardest to sing out of all her albums (with the exception of "Human of The Year" - SO HARD).

To me, that means her vocals are in top form on those two records. The rest of the stuff are sing-along type songs. (Not in a bad way, please, don't get me wrong!)