Sign in to follow this  
Bartender

Radio City Music Hall on October 14, 2009

quote:
Originally posted by makingstuffup:

Which mic did you use?

For this show I used an Audio Technica ATR3350. It is not a particularly great mic, but it was the only lavalier-sized self-powered condenser mic I could find with the right plug for the Tascam. It has a power supply in the middle of the cord which uses a watch battery. While this isn't the most high-tech system in the world, it seemed to work ok, and was definitely worth the meager price.

I also have an AT831C, which is a much better type of microphone called a 'cardioid condenser', but the problem is that it is designed for use with a whole microphone system which includes a separate (and rather bulky) power supply. The microphone uses a proprietary connector to connect to the power supply and then XLR to connect to recorder. For the ZOOM, I tried to bypass the bulky power supply by removing the proprietary connector and soldering on a normal XLR connector so that I could plug the mic directly into the ZOOM and use its built-in 48v power supply. The results of this experiment are the recordings from th Apple Store show - far from successful.

I am currently working on devising a way to use the AT831 with the Tascam, but it will involve building an inline battery-based power supply like the ATR3350 uses and then soldering that between the mic and a connector which the Tascam will accept, since it lacks XLR inputs.

Yeeaahh, that's the problem I had/have when I got my cardioid condenser mics I got from the Yard Sale. Since then, since I'm poor, my stealth tapes have just been using the internal mic on the Edirol R-09. It's surprisingly effective, but putting gaffer tape over all of its display lights, as well as keeping it propped up properly to record is, well, a bit of a hassle, haha.

Oh wow, those are beautiful close-ups.

And I don't know that'd I'd consider anything on a setlist "official," considering those aren't actually typed by regina. Reg doesn't seem the type to be using txt lingo as titles, esp a few years ago. Not saying it ISN'T accurate, but let's just recall the "On the Patio" incident.