Sign in to follow this  
MusicLover_2007

I hate the "instant gratification" of the media

Whether its music videos, TV shows or movies with a million jump cuts. It's just insane and does nothing for me dramatically or artistically. One thing that differentiates in my mind "Laughing With" video is how few cuts it has, it has some of those lingering shots of Regina at the piano and to me that's far more moving then your typical video of a 100 cuts. Then there is your average new movie at the multiplex, usually filled with enough jump cuts to make you very nauseous after 15 minutes.

Even taking the better shows like "Lost" or "Battlestar Galactica", the favorite scenes for me are the long cuts, not the scenes with a 100 cuts in them.

Who is with me on this? Or am I just not "with it" with the MTV generation?

If you haven't seen this, rent it in your local blockbuster.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0269746/

The movie has very very few cuts. Static camera, a scene have 5+ minutes in average without a single cut. Then we can talk Wink

I understand what you're trying to say. Those dynamic cuts can be annoying but some movies wouldn't work without them. I'm not a fan of action movies but they would be (even more) pointless without dynamic camera and short scenes. Applied to Battlestar Galactica: action sequence - dynamic cuts, Baltar & Six having their "imaginary" conversation - not so much.

Also Dance Anthem - lively song: a lot of cuts, Laughing With - not a lively song: few cuts (though, not that few that I would notice it, pretty average video in that matter in my opinion).

quote:
Originally posted by Appt:

If you haven't seen this, rent it in your local blockbuster.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0269746/

The movie has very very few cuts. Static camera, a scene have 5+ minutes in average without a single cut. Then we can talk Wink

I understand what you're trying to say. Those dynamic cuts can be annoying but some movies wouldn't work without them. I'm not a fan of action movies but they would be (even more) pointless without dynamic camera and short scenes. Applied to Battlestar Galactica: action sequence - dynamic cuts, Baltar & Six having their "imaginary" conversation - not so much.

Also Dance Anthem - lively song: a lot of cuts, Laughing With - not a lively song: few cuts (though, not that few that I would notice it, pretty average video in that matter in my opinion).

Thanks I just added that film to my Netflix queue. I remember a Korean film I watched not long ago that also had many 1-2 minute long cuts. I love that kind of thing, but our ADD culture just can't seem to back off with the jump cuts. Just look at most young kids these days, they're all hyperactive. It's truly scary.

Yeah, many people have short attention span problems these days. Too much information to digest too little time to do so... With the movies/videos/adverts I think it's a shock treatment. It's evoking all sorts of emotions and it's doing it quickly and universally. The consumer doesn't even have to think about the content to get the "message". On the other hand with long static scenes half of the poeple get bored, a quarter doesn't get it and only a quarter actually feels and gets the "message". It's that simple. To be fair, fast cuts even nausea for real artistic reasons? - japanese anime.

quote:
Originally posted by Appt:

Yeah, many people have short attention span problems these days. Too much information to digest too little time to do so... With the movies/videos/adverts I think it's a shock treatment. It's evoking all sorts of emotions and it's doing it quickly and universally. The consumer doesn't even have to think about the content to get the "message". On the other hand with long static scenes half of the poeple get bored, a quarter doesn't get it and only a quarter actually feels and gets the "message". It's that simple. To be fair, fast cuts even nausea for real artistic reasons? - japanese anime.

I don't have any problem with certain animes that are filled with fast cuts like "FLCL", that's part of the humorous quotient. But even with anime, I'm sick of amount of cuts. Take an older series like "Neon Genesis Evangelion", it has a lot of long cuts which allows the story to sink in to the viewer in ways newer series can't match.

quote:
Originally posted by Swimming Pool Noises:

did you like Michael Clayton? That movie doesn't have too many cuts. I've seen it like 8 times it's so good. I love the end credits.

Thanks, I just added it to my Netflix. Have you ever seen "The Fountain" by Darren Aronofsky? That to me is true beauty in cinema, with lots of long cuts.

quote:
Originally posted by Yaya:

my brain is just overloaded and i have serious problems concentrating.

I hear ya. That's why I don't read any books (except for school stuff) during school year. I just feel like I'm overloading my brain with leisure stuff and that there's no space for studying...

btw MusicLover_2007, have you ever tried the detox when you only drink water (no food) for a day every month? I wanted to try it but I'm not sure if I can manage and if I just dont't feel worse afterwards.

(Fountain wasn't bad but it was a disappointment after Requiem for a dream, it seemed meaningless in comparison)