Sign in to follow this  
MusicLover_2007

I hate the "instant gratification" of the media

GRANTED, I'm a huge fan, and a proponent, of various forms of comedy that effectively use the fast cut cinematography method. A decent example most people might know is the jump-scene cuts in Hot Fuzz, Shaun of the Dead, etc. Where mundane scenes are made to look intense and hardcore via hasty zoom-ins, and quick editing. So in a nutshell, this technique can VERY EFFECTIVELY be applied to achieve purposes that could not be achieved otherwise. That is one of the unique attributes to mediums such as movies and youtube videos. They are able to use different means by which to convey their intended message.

THAT SAID, I have always been a huge fan of Stanley Kubrick movies. Kubrick, before being a filmmaker, was a photographer. So if you notice in his movies, he has very long scenes with just one shot, and that shot was made to be as visually interesting as possible. Like in the classic "A Clockwork Orange". Now, "2001: A Space Odyssey" has always been one of the most divisive movie classics, for this reason, though it's applied very differently here. I won't go on about it, but suffice to say, the movie is boring as fuck to some, and a masterpiece to others.

Personally, I find it to be both a masterpiece, and boring as fuck.

ALSO, this is one reason I'm a fan of M. Night Shamaloylianlian [sp, obv] movies- though I haven't seen The 6th Sense. Films like Unbreakable, Signs, and The Village very deftly utilize long shots with mere dialog filling the time. It's somber, thought provoking, often beautiful [like Kubrick's shots], and is very effective.

Granted, I'm a cinematography whore, but all the same.

quote:
Originally posted by Sgtcampsalot:

GRANTED, I'm a huge fan, and a proponent, of various forms of comedy that effectively use the fast cut cinematography method. A decent example most people might know is the jump-scene cuts in Hot Fuzz, Shaun of the Dead, etc. Where mundane scenes are made to look intense and hardcore via hasty zoom-ins, and quick editing. So in a nutshell, this technique can VERY EFFECTIVELY be applied to achieve purposes that could not be achieved otherwise. That is one of the unique attributes to mediums such as movies and youtube videos. They are able to use different means by which to convey their intended message.

The message being Pegg is a fan of B action movies and pays homage to it in Hot Fuzz, Spaced, Shaun of the dead etc. He basically do parodies. He uses the technique to make the scenes look like they've been cut out of B movies. He ridicules it.

(btw I love Simon Pegg! Spaced is one of the best things television ever offered Cool )

Sgtcampsalot:

Yes that's why I'm a huge fan of Kubrick films. They don't insult the intelligence of the viewer and have lots of long cuts. The problem with Shyamalan is that he has a good visual language, but his storytelling sucks.

More great Kubrick films(with lots of tasty long cuts):

Barry Lyndon

Eyes Wide Shut

The Shining

^plus Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb. Kubrick was a genius.

My problem with Shyamalan is that once you know the punch line you don't ever have the need to watch the movie again. The visual aspect is not that spectacular to change that.

Another name that comes to mind in this cateegory is Coen brothers. Mainly Fargo, No Country for Old Men and Big Lebowski - all beautiful but (very) slow movies.

quote:
Originally posted by Appt:

^plus Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb. Kubrick was a genius.

My problem with Shyamalan is that once you know the punch line you don't ever have the need to watch the movie again. The visual aspect is not that spectacular to change that.

Another name that comes to mind in this cateegory is Coen brothers. Mainly Fargo, No Country for Old Men and Big Lebowski - all beautiful but (very) slow movies.

Yeah Fargo is nice. Even once you know the big plot twist, it's worth watching again because of the little scenes between the police woman and her husband.

quote:

The message being Pegg is a fan of B action movies and pays homage to it in Hot Fuzz, Spaced, Shaun of the dead etc. He basically do parodies. He uses the technique to make the scenes look like they've been cut out of B movies. He ridicules it.

Oh yeah absolutely, and it's hilarious, I'm just using it as a small example that something like quick cuts aren't always a bad thing.

I mean, movies/television are a very unique artistic medium. And from that, there are many unique ways in which the medium can be manipulated to achieve the creator's vision. Don't let the abuse and overuse of certain film techniques make you think that those techniques are intrinsically shallow or weak. Saying something like that would be akin to saying that... i don't know... that Picasso was an untalented painter because he didn't make things look like real life, or that Dali was a hack because he did absurdist takes on reality. Art is art, and there will always be people who abuse artistic mediums for other purposes, but you should see through that and not write something off because of it.

I've seen MANY movies, not intense action or mindless entertainment movies, that implement things SUCH AS fast, quick cuts to achieve what they're going for VERY well. Nothing in the realm of art is absolute.

quote:

Though who else here is a huge fan of The Village, eh? The ambiance, the color scheme, the somber acting, all bloody brilliant, in my opinion. Though many people are bitter since it didn't have a huge "twist", which I personally see as inconsequential.

quote:
Originally posted by Sgtcampsalot:

quote:

Oh yeah absolutely, and it's hilarious, I'm just using it as a small example that something like quick cuts aren't always a bad thing.

I mean, movies/television are a very unique artistic medium. And from that, there are many unique ways in which the medium can be manipulated to achieve the creator's vision. Don't let the abuse and overuse of certain film techniques make you think that those techniques are intrinsically shallow or weak. Saying something like that is just the result of people creating movies for non-artistic purposes, and abusing certain techniques with absolutely no discretion or vision behind them except to make a movie appealing [which is not what movies should be. I like the saying, "Art is: working on something until you like it, then leaving it that way." Aka, not making something so that the viewers/spectators will like it]. Art is art, and there will always be people who abuse artistic mediums for other purposes, but you should see through that and not write something off because of it.

And to an extent, I'd go so far as to say that thinking less of certain film techniques for those reasons is akin to, I dunno, saying that Picasso was an untalented painter because he didn't make things look like real life, or that Dali was a hack because he did absurdist takes on reality.

I've seen MANY movies, not intense action or mindless entertainment movies, that implement things SUCH AS fast, quick cuts to achieve what they're going for VERY well. Nothing in the realm of art is absolute.

quote:

Though who else here is a huge fan of The Village, eh? The ambiance, the color scheme, the somber acting, all bloody brilliant, in my opinion. Though many people are bitter since it didn't have a huge "twist", which I personally see as inconsequential.

^^Oh, I absolutely agree with you. I just don't see Pegg as a valid example for this discussion.

For the sake of having an argument: My boyfriend has a stagnant view that movies are the lowest form of art. They are on the edge of not being art at all. That is because too many people are involved in the process of making a movie. It's not a one, two or ten men vision. There are hundreds of people whose interests and ideas are conflicting by nature. Take the director and the investor - one wants to be creative, the other wants to make profit (or at least make even). When making a movie it's almost always a compromise. Dali or Picasso didn't have to do that. By my boyfriend's standards the less people are involved the better. He loves South Park, Family Guy and theatre. Do I agree with him? Well, no but it's hard to tell who is making movies only for artistic purpose and who's got an ulterior motive and should this motive exclude the movie from the art category?

I watch a lot of movies and series, I mean A LOT. Cinema is such a versatile medium. Such a great range of techniques and fancy stuff that can be used. Are some of the techniques better than the others? Generaly, no. However, one technique, say short cuts and black & white filter can be cheap and tacky in one movie, deep and meaningful in another. Simple as that.

I don't write a technique off. I don't even have a preference. I do agree, though, that quick cuts are being overused and that it's a little branwash-y.

Also about the "there will always be people who abuse artistic mediums for other purposes" - I'm quite sure moving pictures were born as entertainment so I'm afraid art is the one who took over and abused it Smiler

In my opinion Village had "Shyamalan twist" so I'm not bitter about that. The whole experience, though - the colour palette, the atmosphere, the story, the actors - nothing mesmerized me. It was nice, not spectacular. But I get why you and many others liked it.

on a completely unrelated note: I love your language! Honestly, it's a pleasure to read.

quote:
Originally posted by MusicLover_2007:

Yaya - that's why its important to detoxify from those substances. I mainly drink water, and avoid coffee. I drink coffee maybe one cup a week for flavor. Once you get all those toxic substances out of your body, it frees up your mind.

same here, I love coffee but I don't drink it cuz it messes up my brain. Frowner

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Yaya:

my brain is just overloaded and i have serious problems concentrating.

I hear ya. That's why I don't read any books (except for school stuff) during school year. I just feel like I'm overloading my brain with leisure stuff and that there's no space for studying...

that really sucks. I love to read, and I used to do so all the time as a kid! but yeah, during the school year I use my brain so much for school the only lesiure activity I feel up to is moving around/sports/physical activity. can't even listen to music much. :/