Sign in to follow this  
Reginaoverdose

Freshmeat at College. tips?

quote:
Originally posted by dentistgirl:

Maybe talk to your roommate beforhand, if possible about the big stuff, but def don't go to psycho "let's get matching comforters!" lengths.

HAHAHA this is so funny to me because I had a peek into my old roommates room last year and she and her new roommate had matching comforters, furniture, had painted the wall to match their bed, etc....I felt like I was in the twilight zone. I just don't get the whole point to that...although I often fail at being "girly."

quote:
Originally posted by kaysntees:

quote:
Originally posted by dentistgirl:

Maybe talk to your roommate beforhand, if possible about the big stuff, but def don't go to psycho "let's get matching comforters!" lengths.

HAHAHA this is so funny to me because I had a peek into my old roommates room last year and she and her new roommate had matching comforters, furniture, had painted the wall to match their bed, etc....I felt like I was in the twilight zone. I just don't get the whole point to that...although I often fail at being "girly."

I know a few girls like that from school and still can't get the reason behind %70 of their acts.

Honestly, Thank you guys so much for the advice and stuff. I'm about to go shopping for dorm stuff with my mother which should be oh so much fun, I'm sure.

But at least now I feel ready to expect the unexpected Smiler

I'm about to start on the same adventureBig Grin I just came back from a four week program at my school (U of Rochester), and I was so surprised how amazingly friendly everyone is. Every other freshman at your school is looking for new friends. I'm very social for the most part and just saying HI! to someone may start up a whole new friendship Big Grin

Homesickness is something I can't help with Frowner

Bed bath and beyond had a very complete list of things. I wouldn't by everything on it, but it might be worth a peek.

What school are you going to if you don't mind me asking?

^^i participated in one of those programs this summer, too.

Reginaoverdose, take the advice my mean, mean, though experienced mother gave me: "do every assignment. Even if they say it's optional."

that was unexpected to me, so hopefully it'll help you, too!

i can't give any great how-to-graduate-at-the-top-of-your-class advice, 'cause i've only been spent three weeks on campus before. But mainly, get close with the professors. Fast Wink that way, they'll give a crap about your performance, and it'll make you give an extra little crap about that class, besides obviously wanting to do well, for the sake of doing well.

Another last-minute tip (why haven't i seen this thread before?) is just to be yourself (cheesy.)

i was worried that i'd have nothing in common with anyone else, especially with regard to music. i'm the only one of my friends who likes Regina or anything else that's not playing constantly over pop radio. My best friend can't stand Regina, and insisted that my roommate would hate me beause i'd play Reg all the time, and Regina "sucks"

But the very first night, everyone was sitting around in the kitchen, listening to a bunch of mainstream stuff on someone's iPod, when a guy grabbed my mp3 player and went, "what do you listen to?" i kinda stuttered for a minute, then he just plugged it in. And sure enough, Fidelity started playing over the speakers, and literally everyone (except my best friend) started freaking out, "oh, i love this song!" "this is my jam!" "Regina's the best!"

and from then on, i gave up trying to predict how i would be recieved be everyone else, and just focused on being me.

I'm jumbly tonight. i hope that made sense! :-/

quote:
Originally posted by Yaya:

translation eh.."what will be, will be" or "don't worry, you can't control what happens, just trust that something good will come along, sometime."

WEIRD. I JUST watched the Simpsons episode where Flanders is singing that song to himself after he was kicked out of the bomb shelter as the meteor is headed toward Springfield. How quaint.

quote:
Originally posted by Sgtcampsalot:

-Also, one big thing to remember, is that all the class-systems, and social pressures that existed in High School DO NOT apply here any more!

agreed. be yourself, have fun, work hard, people will like you.

quote:
Originally posted by graph theory:

quote:
Originally posted by Sgtcampsalot:

-Also, one big thing to remember, is that all the class-systems, and social pressures that existed in High School DO NOT apply here any more!

agreed. be yourself, have fun, work hard, people will like you.

That's the aspect of college I'm most looking forward to. In high school, you get stuck with a label that locks you out of being yourself. Not so in college.