Sign in to follow this  
Reginaoverdose

Freshmeat at College. tips?

Besides OBVIOUSLY needing THIS. haha a bomb alarm clock you need to "deactivate" brilliant.

So I'm going through a range of emotions. Mostly sadness and nervousness. Is it weird that I don't feel an ounce of excitement? So my parents never went to college and I have no idea what to expect. Or pack. I need tips from you all who have went through this already. Things you learned and wish you had known before your freshman year

**begin speech/life story** I'm going to be needing your help these upcoming months. I've come to love this place and the variety of people on here. Well, I'm pretty much in my room alone 24/7 so I know the transition will be hard. Plus, all I've ever known is where I have lived my whole life and I'm going to miss my family A LOT. and I'm seriously doubting that I picked the right school and I feel like I'm going to be miserable. And I'm paying for half of college so I'd prefer not to be miserable. And I'm questioning my major and what I'm gonna do with my life (I know it doesn't have to be concrete right now but it does in 2 yrs and SHIT time goes by fast) I already miss high school.... (I went to a horrible high school 9th-10th grade and girls were mean to me, shallow ppl, bad relationship, betrayal blah blah, worst 2 yrs of my life. Then I filled out a form and transferred to another and had the greatest 2yrs I could have ever asked for. I just REALY wish I went there all 4 yrs. I want it back)

I have dance class Mon-Fri at 8am and then a 15 min break to walk to another building and another dance class. WOW, I'm NOT a morning person....

So yes, helpful tips on classes, studying, parties, dorm stuff, dealing with roomates. Whatever Smiler It is all greatly appreciated.

Ps. I'm a girl, If that comes into play somehow

Besides OBVIOUSLY needing THIS. haha a bomb alarm clock you need to "deactivate" brilliant.

So I'm going through a range of emotions. Mostly sadness and nervousness. Is it weird that I don't feel an ounce of excitement? So my parents never went to college and I have no idea what to expect. Or pack. I need tips from you all who have went through this already. Things you learned and wish you had known before your freshman year

**begin speech/life story** I'm going to be needing your help these upcoming months. I've come to love this place and the variety of people on here. Well, I'm pretty much in my room alone 24/7 so I know the transition will be hard. Plus, all I've ever known is where I have lived my whole life and I'm going to miss my family A LOT. and I'm seriously doubting that I picked the right school and I feel like I'm going to be miserable. And I'm paying for half of college so I'd prefer not to be miserable. And I'm questioning my major and what I'm gonna do with my life (I know it doesn't have to be concrete right now but it does in 2 yrs and SHIT time goes by fast) I already miss high school.... (I went to a horrible high school 9th-10th grade and girls were mean to me, shallow ppl, bad relationship, betrayal blah blah, worst 2 yrs of my life. Then I filled out a form and transferred to another and had the greatest 2yrs I could have ever asked for. I just REALY wish I went there all 4 yrs. I want it back)

I have dance class Mon-Fri at 8am and then a 15 min break to walk to another building and another dance class. WOW, I'm NOT a morning person....

So yes, helpful tips on classes, studying, parties, dorm stuff, dealing with roomates. Whatever Smiler It is all greatly appreciated.

Ps. I'm a girl, If that comes into play somehow

i know what you mean, i went through the same emotions. but try not to freak out, it ended up being a blast!

tips:

essential supplies for dorm rooms: CLOROX WIPES. seriously. also bring random things no one would ever think of. like i brought a hammer. it was useful. we used it to open a coconut. haha.

talk to your roommate before setting your alarm that early in the morning (8am yikes!). i would kill you. i usually ended up putting my phone alarm on vibrate right next to my head.

leave your door open to your room, don't seclude yourself. i did that for a while, it was no fun. let people randomly wander in, makes life interesting.

if you are a dancer, watch the partying. that can really kill you performance-wise. not saying never do it, just be careful with it.

...that's all i can think of right now, hope it helps! Big Grin

ok girl, take a breath there.

as far as packing, Em found my suggestions helpful HERE.

Anyway, college is really what you make it. Unlike high school you don't HAVE to do anything, I mean aside from not failing out. You aren't stuck with the same people constantly, you get to choose your classes, activities etc. etc. So it is quite wonderful in that way. Granted it is sort of daunting when you think too much about all the responsibility and implications about the future, blah blah. Once you get there, into a routine, you'll not be so overwhelmed by "the big picture."

Go in positive, plan on having fun, because you will. It's scary and a huge transition, but it's the same for all the other freshman too! Don't expect to hate it cause it's different, you may flourish living with a roommate. New town= new adventures. Just be smart, in general- time managment, school work, relationships, eating/health.

Maybe talk to your roommate beforhand, if possible about the big stuff, but def don't go to psycho "let's get matching comforters!" lengths.

Also, do not bring a full size ironing board, roomie may want to hurt you.

Is it a big school, small school? Far from home? Why did you choose this school?

And don't worry, we'll be right here. =)

(AH THIS IS FRACKING LONG!)

Not even kidding George, I have been in situations where I could've used one of those.

Ok this is the advice that has gotten me through my college days (senior this year, holy shit!):

1- no college is perfect. Know that going in. You'll hate things about the college you chose, but if you decide to go somewhere else know that you'll hate things about that college too. Don't give up easily, don't get discouraged, persevere--you can get used to anything.

2- You will never be alone. Find a sanctuary where you can get away if you need to. I go to a college in a place with a lot of old mills and rivers and I always trek out to those kind of places (the ones where I know there are houses around, gotta be safe unless you've got one of those tasers! haha) when I need to clear my head. 10/10 it has gotten rid of any negative, overwhelming feelings I might be having.

3- You will most likely not be friends with the people you become friends with initially. This is not always the case, of course, but from what I've experienced all the people who paired up freshman year have branched off--and that's ok! As you take classes and focus in on your major you'll meet people with similar interests as yourself. More than anything don't be afraid to talk to new people--EVERYBODY feels the same way you do: lonely, overwhelmed, scared, maybe homesick. Know that you're never ever alone in those thoughts, no matter how convincing the feeling might be, and just don't be afraid to put yourself out there.

Roomate advice: compromise. That's what its all about. I lived with a girl I really didn't care for for 2 years, we are totally different people and I'm certain she disliked me as much as I disliked her, but we could compromise with each other and so our living arrangement really wasn't that bad. You'll find things annoying about your roommate, realize that she'll be feeling the same way towards you. Don't take it personal and vocalize things that bother you otherwise they'll get blown needlessly out of proportion. But also realize that some things will never change and she's (most likely) not doing things to get at you, we've all got our little quirks...try to appreciate them instead of hate them.

Worrying about your major is useless at this point. You will almost assuredly change your mind in some way or another. Hell, I was going to be a business major. Now I'm an art major...things change, YOU'LL change. College isn't the end all be all anyway, if you graduate and are still unsure there are other things you can do...intern, grad school, etc. to figure it all out.

As far as homesickness, I can't give much advice here because I've moved around and traveled sans family my whole life, so I've just never experienced it. But for the girls who have, they usually find that once orientation is over and classes start you forget all about it. Your mind will be too occupied.

8 o'clock classes suck and will always suck, nothing to be done about that. You'll be amazed how much the nap comes back in style when at college. 5 minutes between classes? Nap. 20 minutes till dinner? Nap.

As far as necessities: a small fan (college ac's in my experience are CRAP and fail right when you need them. There are few things worse than trying to sleep when you're sweating), any kind of space saving storage units (I have a sort of bookcase thing that mounts from the floor above my bed...it is wonderful), BED LIFTERS (because otherwise the bottom of your bed will be 2 inches off the ground and you won't be able to shove stuff under it). I don't know how the rooms are for your dorms but our closet has a door and I've always taken it off the hinges and hung up a curtain instead, saves room because you don't have to leave room for the door to swing.

More than the things you'll need, you'll find that you'll take a lot you DON'T need that will be in a pain in the ass to lug out when its May and you're burned out from exams. Unfortunately that's just something you'll have to learn with time...

Anyway, this is extremely long winded, but you'll be fine. I promise. There are so many people going through just the same emotions and hesitations that you are. I don't recall being excited my freshman year, more like nervous, but now I can't stop telling everyone how much I wish the damn summer would end so I can get back to college! Best of luck!!

Ah yes! What an awesome time. I'm a senior now, and I often find myself wishing I could live in a dorm again. Even when I lived in a house off campus I missed it, haha.

Anyway, what everyone has said so far is VERY true, and I advise you take it to heart. I'll add what I can, as it comes to my mind:

-College is all about finding your niche. It can be overwhelming at first, but just let it take you, go with the current, swim with the flow, groove with the stride [yada yada yada], and eventually you'll end up finding people [often just by circumstance!] that you really enjoy hanging out with. The cliche "it's what you make of it" is more true than you'll even realize at first. This school you're going to, you may have doubts about it, but trust me, even if it's a crappy campus, or a crappy town, that really doesn't matter as long as you have people you enjoy. Hell, even if you don't have tons 'o buddies, just find a cozy spot on campus you can work/read/hang out. I had a kickass bench under a tree on our one-hole golf course. It was awesome. [random, i know]

-Also, one big thing to remember, is that all the class-systems, and social pressures that existed in High School DO NOT apply here any more! It took me a semester or two to figure out that I didn't have to stress over social matters like I did in HS, because [for the most part] people have grown out of that by this time. And if someone hasn't seemed to grow past such immature things, that's they're problem, don't let them bog you down.

-Also, big parties, they can be fun if you go with friends, and just hang out to have a good time. But don't look to parties to try to find a special guy/gal if you actually want like a "relationship"-relationship. I won't preach about hooking up and stuff, but don't look for love at those things, for numerous reasons, haha. Like someone will seem to be the most charming person after everyone's had some beers, but the next day, not so much. Plus, depending on your personality, as you get older in college, the kind of people you're likely to find at big parties may not really be the kind of person you want to be with.

/preach

I'll come back with anything else useful.

All anxiety is natural, but it's in your head! You're about to have the best two years of your life! [After that, you may not have a life around classes, haha]