Sign in to follow this  
andreseng

HOB San Diego 10/26/2009

Just got back from seeing Regina at HOB!

I skipped the opening band and was getting ready to go in when I noticed a few traffic cones by one of the entrances down from the main entry door and a few security guards standing around. I decided to amble around the area for a few minutes to see if Regina was about to show.

Sure enough, a few minutes later, a car pulls up and out comes Regina. I was the only person within 20' of the entrance she used, but the security guards hustled her by like she was under sniper fire. I managed a friendly "Hey, Regina," and added "You're the best!" a second later. Not the most eloquent thing I could've said to her, but I'll take it since I was half surprised and she was on the side walk for a grand total of about four seconds. She looked over her shoulder at me as she passed, smiled, and gave me a nice, demure little "Thank you."

She was great, as always. Vocals were just amazing, hit every -- and I mean EVERY -- note she wanted with seeming ease and sounded clear as a bell. (As an aside, I think it was sacrilegious to use autotune at the end of 'The Calculation' (on Far) -- or on any Regina song for that matter: She can hit any note she wants; leave the autotune for people who *can't.* I'm looking at you, Kanye. But I digress....)

Matt Chamberlain was awesome as were the string players. There were a handful of drunk and/or stupid people that talked loudly during some of the songs and were distracting. She didn't call anybody out, but the crowd did some "Shhsing" to try to quiet them down. It got better as the show went on.

Messed up during 'Silly Eye Color Generalizations,' did a little, "Oh, fuck! I messed that up" (or something like that) and got right back into it. Not much interaction with the crowd: Thanked us a few times for coming, thanked us for the weather (something like, "It's cold and rainy in New York, thanks for hooking us up with the weather."

Nothing out of the ordinary set-list-wise; she played 'Ode to Divorce' as she's been doing lately.

I'd forgotten how awesome she is live! Just scary talented. Good times.

Sounds like an overall great time! I'm glad you had an interaction with her, even if for a moment.

I don't think she did use auto-tune on The Calculation, did she?

I could be wrong, but I thought she mentioned it in an interview once. If they did use it, it's just a tiny bit toward the end during the oooh-ooh-oouh-ooh bit. Around 2:53

Although, upon listening to the little section where I thought the auto tune was several times just now, it *could* just be Regina doing freaky things with her voice. It *sounds* like an auto tune shift, and since I thought she had mentioned using it, I assumed that's where it was. But it could just be Regina. I'm not sure.

Auto tune *is* widely used to mask bad singing/singers, but some producers/artists also use it because it can do odd/artificial-sounding/funky (pick your adjective) things to a voice. For myself, I think it's a bane upon music.

quote:
Originally posted by Jasimo:

Just got back from seeing Regina at HOB!

I skipped the opening band and was getting ready to go in when I noticed a few traffic cones by one of the entrances down from the main entry door and a few security guards standing around. I decided to amble around the area for a few minutes to see if Regina was about to show.

Sure enough, a few minutes later, a car pulls up and out comes Regina. I was the only person within 20' of the entrance she used, but the security guards hustled her by like she was under sniper fire. I managed a friendly "Hey, Regina," and added "You're the best!" a second later. Not the most eloquent thing I could've said to her, but I'll take it since I was half surprised and she was on the side walk for a grand total of about four seconds. She looked over her shoulder at me as she passed, smiled, and gave me a nice, demure little "Thank you."

She was great, as always. Vocals were just amazing, hit every -- and I mean EVERY -- note she wanted with seeming ease and sounded clear as a bell. (As an aside, I think it was sacrilegious to use autotune at the end of 'The Calculation' (on Far) -- or on any Regina song for that matter: She can hit any note she wants; leave the autotune for people who *can't.* I'm looking at you, Kanye. But I digress....)

Matt Chamberlain was awesome as were the string players. There were a handful of drunk and/or stupid people that talked loudly during some of the songs and were distracting. She didn't call anybody out, but the crowd did some "Shhsing" to try to quiet them down. It got better as the show went on.

Messed up during 'Silly Eye Color Generalizations,' did a little, "Oh, fuck! I messed that up" (or something like that) and got right back into it. Not much interaction with the crowd: Thanked us a few times for coming, thanked us for the weather (something like, "It's cold and rainy in New York, thanks for hooking us up with the weather."

Nothing out of the ordinary set-list-wise; she played 'Ode to Divorce' as she's been doing lately.

I'd forgotten how awesome she is live! Just scary talented. Good times.

That's odd that she wasn't already backstage. Any pics?

quote:

I could be wrong, but I thought she mentioned it in an interview once.

Auto tune *is* widely used to mask bad singing/singers, but some producers/artists also use it because it can do odd/artificial-sounding/funky (pick your adjective) things to a voice. For myself, I think it's a bane upon music.

I believe it was used only at the end of Dance Anthem for what's been referred to sometimes as the "imogen" effect.

Oh wow I hope everyone had a great time at this show! It seemed like it was a keeper!

Eeeeeeeeee about.16 days till my show.....its going to be the longest 16 days of my life....

Goodnight Brumstix! Smiler

quote:
Originally posted by andreseng:

quote:

I could be wrong, but I thought she mentioned it in an interview once.

I believe it was used only at the end of Dance Anthem for what's been referred to sometimes as the "imogen" effect.

you mean the robotic sound?