Sign in to follow this  
RJLupin2

All The Rowboats

Okay so, I know this song is a little bit straight forward and probably doesn't need much interpreting, but I love this song and wonder what everyone else makes of it.

So yeah, post away!

P.S. Mod, you freakin rock!

mod edit: title only

Okay so, I know this song is a little bit straight forward and probably doesn't need much interpreting, but I love this song and wonder what everyone else makes of it.

So yeah, post away!

P.S. Mod, you freakin rock!

mod edit: title only

Obviously, the song is a new perspective on a museum. The narrator feels that the exhibits are 'imprisoned,' and deserve to escape and serve a less passive purpose.

So since its such a straightforward song, here's a question to keep discussion going:

Do you agree with the narrator (as I've interpreted her)? Do you think our masterworks should be preserved for prosperity, or used on a more personal level at the risk of their deterioration?

I love this song.

The line

"But the most special is the most lonely. God I pity the violins"

It's so true and the song just makes me think. I dont think I'll look at a museum the same. The comparison is just great.

I never really saw the song having a literal meaning. I always felt like shes making a comparison/metaphor to human nature.

That's an interesting idea, tallchick. So what do you think the statement about human nature is? I totally see how it could be argued that the song represents the way we as a society react to those things and people that we find most beautiful. Our attempts to honor them leave them imprisoned. However, this is one of the few songs where I actually prefer the literal meaning over the metaphor. I'm not sure why, but I do.

Edit: I was just listening to the song, this time focusing more on the tone than the lyrics, and I noticed that the urgency in regina's voice is really unusual. She's applying emotions to inanimate objects, and showing an almost unhealthy concern for their well-being. Maybe there's a point to be made there? Just a thought.

quote:
Originally posted by ThisIsHowItWorks:

Edit: I was just listening to the song, this time focusing more on the tone than the lyrics, and I noticed that the urgency in regina's voice is really unusual. She's applying emotions to inanimate objects, and showing an almost unhealthy concern for their well-being. Maybe there's a point to be made there? Just a thought.

about the emotions being applied to inanimate objects: this always just struck me as a Regina-y thing to do. But, come to think of it, are there any other songs that do this?

i really love this song (awesome piano!). i've never thought much past the literal interpretation. i like the idea of the artwork being metaphorical, but i'm having trouble wrapping my head around the idea of that metaphor pertaining to human nature. i can't offer any brilliant alternative, but human nature, while certainly not out of characteer for Reg to write about (80% of her songs are just that lol), that's just not the vibe i get from this song.

But maybe i'm just missing it, because like i said, i've not put much thought into a deeper meaning for this piece.

Come back and enlighten me, Tallchick!

that's interresting, TiHiW, about the urgency. which actually leads me to further believe that this song is about something more, well, urgent than human nature... but what? who knows. maybe i'm just being picky...

i'm excited to follow this thread and see what everyone thinks of ATR!

quote:
Originally posted by Be like the water, people.:

i like the idea of the artwork being metaphorical, but i'm having trouble wrapping my head around the idea of that metaphor pertaining to human nature.

I know what you mean... It seems like there is some greater meaning, but I really don't know what it could be...

I'm starting to like the idea that the song is a character study of an individual who's extreme sensitivity has led them to develop an unnatural concern for the artworks. I'm sure that sounds like an over-the-top interpretation, but the vocal performance definitely lends itself to the idea, as do the lines about touching the sculpture. When I first heard those lines I thought of the end of Lord of the Flies, when Piggy shudders upon being touched by Ralph, as he has become so unaccustomed to something as natural as the human touch. The narrator of AtR is worried that the sculpture will suffer the same fate.

Wow that sounded really stupid and I'm surprised that I'm actually going to hit "Post Now."

^^not at all! i think it's an interresting idea, too. And it fits with Regina's catalogue: mentally disturbed (quirky, to say the least, nuts to say the worst) main character, speaking in first person, lacking someone else's perspctives on their behavior, so that it's presented as normal, and can, on a surface level, be written off as such.

anyway, i agree that that touching the sculpture could be an attempt at keeping the work "human", or "healthy".

quote:
Originally posted by Be like the water, people.:

i think it's an interresting idea, too. And it fits with Regina's catalogue: mentally disturbed (quirky, to say the least, nuts to say the worst) main character, speaking in first person, lacking someone else's perspctives on their behavior, so that it's presented as normal, and can, on a surface level, be written off as such.

anyway, i agree that that touching the sculpture could be an attempt at keeping the work "human", or "healthy".

Oh that makes me feel better! I really like what you're saying about the illusion that the behavior is normal... This wouldn't be the only song based around this concept. "The Flowers" comes to mind.

quote:
Originally posted by ThisIsHowItWorks:

Oh that makes me feel better! I really like what you're saying about the illusion that the behavior is normal... This wouldn't be the only song based around this concept. "The Flowers" comes to mind.

oo! good catch. i was thinking about Mermaid (naming houseplants), or even Fidelity, though i guess the "sounds" in the character's mind could just represent general confusion/white noise we all have kinda floatin' around in there. But the lines, "i hear in my mind all these voices/i hear in my mind all of these words..." while romantic, are still... a little disturbing. actually, it's strange to the point of making the desire to come into physical contact with a sculpture seem normal!

i hope someone contributes another idea. this song is so intriguing!