Sign in to follow this  
ThisIsHowItWorks

Blue Lips

This is a song that I think hasn't really been discussed enough... What do you guys think regina's trying to say in it?

I tend to take the first few lines literally, and then the rest of my interpretations stems from there. I see the song as a somewhat-dark look at a man journey into 'discovering' his faith. He 'stumbles into' it, accepts it as the one true dogma, but then finds it to be a burden: "But when he tried to walk again, he wasn't a child."

I mentioned this on another thread, but I'll say it again here: the line "God, this is all there is" has been fascinating me lately. The way it is sung, the man seems to feel "locked it" but the final-ness of his religion. I feel that this is expressed metaphorically in that totally awesome bridge- "They started out beneath the knowledge tree..."

When the knowledge tree is killed to make way for modernization, I see this as reason being pushed aside toward the achievement of another agenda. (Maybe due to the misinterpretation of the all-encompassing 'faith?)

The one thing I haven't been able to fit into my interpretation is the significance of blue...

I hope that wasn't too confusing. I'm really interested to see some more takes on this fascinating and beautiful song.

This is a song that I think hasn't really been discussed enough... What do you guys think regina's trying to say in it?

I tend to take the first few lines literally, and then the rest of my interpretations stems from there. I see the song as a somewhat-dark look at a man journey into 'discovering' his faith. He 'stumbles into' it, accepts it as the one true dogma, but then finds it to be a burden: "But when he tried to walk again, he wasn't a child."

I mentioned this on another thread, but I'll say it again here: the line "God, this is all there is" has been fascinating me lately. The way it is sung, the man seems to feel "locked it" but the final-ness of his religion. I feel that this is expressed metaphorically in that totally awesome bridge- "They started out beneath the knowledge tree..."

When the knowledge tree is killed to make way for modernization, I see this as reason being pushed aside toward the achievement of another agenda. (Maybe due to the misinterpretation of the all-encompassing 'faith?)

The one thing I haven't been able to fit into my interpretation is the significance of blue...

I hope that wasn't too confusing. I'm really interested to see some more takes on this fascinating and beautiful song.

I can't figue out "exactly" what the song means to me (this happens to me with many of Regina's songs) but I get a general gist of what I feel its about. I think its a reflection on life and its fragile state of being, all this crazy, arbitrary stuff that happens on this little blue ball. I think the song is also about perpective, and how distance and time can change it. For example, the earth itself, up close we see so much detail, but if you back away from it all, and look at the earth from a satelite image, everything can be so simplified, in the same way that when something happens in your life, say, you fight with a friend, in detailing that fight the next day, you might recap everything verbatim. But a year later, you might say, "We had a fight over the late car payment" and nix the details.

As for the color blue, I think it has many different significances. Blue is said to be a calming, peaceful color. It's the color of 70% or so of the planet, of water from a distance. Much of the ocean looks green up close, but blue from a distance. Regina's eyes are the bluest eyes I've ever seen. Blue is the color of your veins, of the blood inside it before it hits oxygen. If you're losing oxygen, your lips turn blue. Therefore it can be the color or life or death.

quote:
Originally posted by ThisIsHowItWorks:

This is what I was hoping for. It's so exciting to read an interpretation that's both insightful and different from what I had been thinking.

Thanks I really like your interpretation too.

I think re-opening the lyric section for discussion was a great idea. Smiler

i love this new discussion section! it's like a party! lmao...

i agree a lot with you, thisishowitworks. i think that the majority of the song is pretty self explanatory. but the bridge is absolute genius.

i think that in the bridge (and the whole song, really) regina is commenting on the prison-like qualities of many religions today. the religious people "started out beneath the knowledge tree", meaning at the beginning, they were honestly seeking truth through their faith. but then something happened. they wanted to feel some sort of safety and reliability in their belief, so they stopped actively seeking and thinking and created guidelines and rules for how to live. "and no one saw and no one heard..."

by creating rigid frameworks for their religion, what they were really doing was fencing themselves in, away from knowledge and truth, and away from the rest of the world. to the outside world, they put on a triumphant facade "smiled real wide for the camera lenses..."- but really all that they had done was imprison themselves "in the assembly lines".

and i agree with the significance of blue from lost in the sounds, too. though i also think blue represents sadness as well. all of these interpretations are applicable.

quote:
Originally posted by good > perfect:

i think that in the bridge (and the whole song, really) regina is commenting on the prison-like qualities of many religions today. the religious people "started out beneath the knowledge tree", meaning at the beginning, they were honestly seeking truth through their faith. but then something happened. they wanted to feel some sort of safety and reliability in their belief, so they stopped actively seeking and thinking and created guidelines and rules for how to live. "and no one saw and no one heard..."

Oh I really like those ideas...

"No one saw and no one heard, they just followed lead" could also refer to drifting away from reason, and staying 'locked inside' a faith, without thought.

The way I interpret it, the song seems at first like an attack on faith as a whole, but I prefer to think of it as just being a different perspective. Like "Laughing With," I see "Blue Lips" as a 'jumping-off' point designed to make people think and question.

Edit: Haha and yes, good > perfect, it's like a party. Wink

quote:
Originally posted by ThisIsHowItWorks:

The way I interpret it, the song seems at first like an attack on faith as a whole, but I prefer to think of it as just being a different perspective. Like "Laughing With," I see "Blue Lips" as a 'jumping-off' point designed to make people think and question.

agreed! it's not condemning any religion, just people's tendency to box themselves in by their beliefs. religion itself isn't harmful, only when people refuse to see any other point of view. and she wants people to think about that.

and i'm glad you're enjoying the party, haha. Big Grin

quote:
Originally posted by good > perfect:

i love this new discussion section! it's like a party! lmao...

i agree a lot with you, thisishowitworks. i think that the majority of the song is pretty self explanatory. but the bridge is absolute genius.

by creating rigid frameworks for their religion, what they were really doing was fencing themselves in, away from knowledge and truth, and away from the rest of the world. to the outside world, they put on a triumphant facade "smiled real wide for the camera lenses..."- but really all that they had done was imprison themselves "in the assembly lines".

and i agree with the significance of blue from lost in the sounds, too. though i also think blue represents sadness as well. all of these interpretations are applicable.

^^brilliant interpretation!!

i like everyone's thoughts on this so far, but good > perfect's is my favorite.

i'd like to add to the discussion of blue's significance: blue, in the context of serenity, is a stark contrast to blue in the context of our hectic, loud, crazy planet. Sorry if i'm totally reiterating someone else's thought..

Sometime during last week, a girl I have a BIG crush on, had blue lips at school as a result of a sucker or some sort of candy. It was cool.