What are your takes on this song?

I feel like its describing the feeling of falling out of love... "You can't believe it..." It's surprising, confusing, and you're torn between thinking its your own fault, and that something was taking away from you.

This seems to tie in with the third verse: "someone's deciding..." Which places a different perspective on 'having something taken away from you' unjustly.

Maybe this is a tad disjointed...

Thoughts?

What are your takes on this song?

I feel like its describing the feeling of falling out of love... "You can't believe it..." It's surprising, confusing, and you're torn between thinking its your own fault, and that something was taking away from you.

This seems to tie in with the third verse: "someone's deciding..." Which places a different perspective on 'having something taken away from you' unjustly.

Maybe this is a tad disjointed...

Thoughts?

I definitely feel that this song is describing the feeling of falling out of love. Just that period of knowing that everything is changing and your routine pattern that you have when your in love is suddenly being lost. When your with a person for so long, you get into a pattern. You're so use that person like your favorite song, you know all the words, but then as you fall out of that lust, you start to forget that pattern and you can't believe it. That you suddenly have to live your world differently. It's confusing, and surprising and you can't believe that its happening.

Thats my take on it. I love eet Smiler

i have always felt that eet is about losing the innocence of childhood. while falling out of love works as well, the deciding verse for me is the "someone's deciding..." part you mentioned earlier.

she paints this vivid picture of a man contemplating stealing, but he is obviously bothered by it and would not do so willingly. maybe he is considering it to provide for his family? (i know this has been discussed elsewhere lol, i am just recapping) and as he opens the window to feel some fresh air, he sees this little kid throwing an absolute fit because his brother won't let him try the game they are playing.

by juxtaposing these two vastly different scenarios, it throws the childish actions of the boy into contrast with the heavy weight of maturity on the older man. he can't return to the days when he could throw a tantrum over a silly game, he has more "grown up" things to think about.

and when you add all the other lyrics of the song into the mix, it becomes cohesive. i think with the falling out of love interpretation, that verse is quite odd and out of place.

just my thoughts! (ps: i love this new section! thanks mod almighty! Big Grin )

quote:
Originally posted by good > perfect:

and when you add all the other lyrics of the song into the mix, it becomes cohesive. i think with the falling out of love interpretation, that verse is quite odd and out of place.

Yeah I'll admit it's a stretch to fit that into that interpretation, but I did my best. Smiler

y'all are gonna get sick of me in this lyrics section lol! i'm loving this. (Anyone wonder how much thought Reg puts into metaphors in her lyrics? she says she doesn't sit down to sing about "this", but these songs are so emotional and seemingly multifaceted. Maybe some subconcious factors? after-singing editing?)

Anyway, the interp. of Eet about the relationship matches up with the vibe of the song for me. it feels very progressive, but also reminiscent. Scratch that, because that works for both of the suggested meanings here! (childhood vs. breakup/loss of love)

i'm leaning at the moment toward the responsible adult interpretation, yet i feel like there's something missing from that one, too. Nothing in the lyrics or anything. more of a gut feeling... idk if i'm missing something from the song itself, or if that interp. just doesn't work for me. i like the end of a relationship idea, too, yet that one verse (which feels totally random, btw) doesn't fit, as you guys have already pointed out.

Sorry i couldn't be more helpful!

quote:
Originally posted by Be like the water, people.:

i'm leaning at the moment toward the responsible adult interpretation, yet i feel like there's something missing from that one, too. Nothing in the lyrics or anything. more of a gut feeling... idk if i'm missing something from the song itself, or if that interp. just doesn't work for me. i like the end of a relationship idea, too, yet that one verse (which feels totally random, btw) doesn't fit, as you guys have already pointed out.

I know what you mean... Emotionally, it doesn't click for me. The end of a relationship doesn't feel quite right either... There's a definite distinction between that interpretation and the 'falling out of love idea.'

^^ yeah, there certainly is.

i've been thinking about this (for about 8 seconds) and some things sort of fell into place. Nothing definite, but maybe this'll open up discussion/inspiration for others:

the dissonant chords along with the statement "it's like forgetting the words to your favorite song" just create a sort of disoriented feeling.

And there's such a darkness to this song, it doesn't feel like the other Reg breakup songs, you know? there's something more... specific about it. but in a different way than just "growing up/becoming an adult". i don't know. i don't think this song focuses on something that's as specific/defined/"typical" as these topics. They feel too open and shut for me.

basically i guess what i'm saying is, i don't think Regina was considering something black and white with this piece. it feels like a release of vast, jumbled emotions, rather than the lyrics leading and pointing somewhere, drawing pictures behind your eyes like most of her other songs (Blue Lips and Pavlov's Daughter, anyone?). Eet always makes me think of False Alarm by KT Tunstall: "...just colors bleeding into one that hasn't got a name..." Both Eet and False Alarm have a mix of a laid-back/slow vibe, disonent feeling chords, and Eet has lyrics that are more sounds than poetry.

So, for me, at the moment, Eet isn't /about/ anything. it's a beautiful piece that's as close to instrumental, vocal-less music as i've heard from Regina Spektor.

I guess the fact that "ts-ts-ts" and "ee-ee-ee-tt" are the dominant "lyrics" in this song are "support" for my "theory"(?) And Regina went out of her way to stress that Eet is NOT to be confused with any word, in any language.

Overall, this song is beautiful. even if it is about something more concrete like a situation, story, or emotion.

My posts are way too long, my friends.