Sign in to follow this  
Be like the water, people.

Folding Chair

quote:
Originally posted by ThisIsHowItWorks: Oops that's a typo. My interpretation has the song sung entirely by the woman. I'll fix the mistake so as not to create confusion.

oh haha! gotcha.

in your interp, i wonder about the significance of the suicide mentioned? What's your take on that? sorry if i'm missing something obvious...

quote:
Originally posted by Be like the water, people.:

in your interp, i wonder about the significance of the suicide mentioned? What's your take on that? sorry if i'm missing something obvious...

I don't see a suicide mentioned. Are you referring to "salty water to cover up my ears?" In my take on the song, that fits in as a reference to 'taking the plunge' of a mature relationship with the male target.

Edit: However, I would like to contribute a piece of evidence to the suicide theory: "The sea is just a wetter version of the skies" could be comparing drowning to ascension into Heaven...

quote:
Originally posted by ThisIsHowItWorks:

I don't see a suicide mentioned. Are you referring to "salty water to cover up my ears?" In my take on the song, that fits in as a reference to 'taking the plunge' of a mature relationship with the male target.

Edit: However, I would like to contribute a piece of evidence to the suicide theory: "The sea is just a wetter version of the skies" could be comparing drowning to ascension into Heaven...

Well, she's sitting on the beach, waiting for the water to come and overtake her. 'taking the plunge' would imply her approaching the water (like in A Canon), then 'getting scared' would be her retreating from the waves. But she's been "waiting for the water", so perhaps she's seated her folding chair close to the ocean, then waited there for high tide. but once the time approached, she chickened out and moved herself farther away. (?)

That's absolutely brilliant, about the waves/sky comparison! i love that!

quote:

Well, she's sitting on the beach, waiting for the water to come and overtake her. 'taking the plunge' would imply her approaching the water (like in A Canon), then 'getting scared' would be her retreating from the waves. But she's been "waiting for the water", so perhaps she's seated her folding chair close to the ocean, then waited there for high tide. but once the time approached, she chickened out and moved herself farther away. (?)

Hmm good point... Maybe I'm just afraid to admit its about suicide and I'm creating excuses. Lol.

But in the spirit of good debate, I think I'll try to stand by my interpretation. "Waiting for the water" does sound passive rather than active, as you've said, and I think that would still fit if "the water" is in those lines a metaphor for her relationship, as she would be /allowing/ herself to be engulfed by the commitments and emotions associated therewith.

maybe i wasn't clear in my interpretation at the start: i don't think she's suicidal (at least not necessarily). the water, imo, is primarily a metaphor for marraige. the beach represents her feelings toward her lost lover, and we still have no ideas about the dolphins.

lol Reg really threw us a curveball there...

quote:

maybe i wasn't clear in my interpretation at the start: i don't think she's suicidal (at least not necessarily). the water, imo, is primarily a metaphor for marraige. the beach represents her feelings toward her lost lover, and we still have no ideas about the dolphins.

lol Reg really threw us a curveball there...

Oh I realized that you don't think she was suicidal, I was referring to the suicide-themed undertones. I didn't mean to misrepresent your interpretation.

Hmm the dolphins... Well what else would someone think about when they're sitting alone on a beach? Haha... I don't want to overthink the dolphins, honestly. I'll chalk it up as regina putting her stamp of silliness on the piece.

Dolphin epiphany (with cheating)!!

So i was on the phone with my mom, and decided to ask her opinion on these songs we've been discussing, and more importantly, our theories about their meanings. So when i mentioned that no one has presented a prominent application of the "dolphin song", Mom pointed out that dolphins are notoriously playful and carefree. So perhaps the nararator is cluing us in on her current emotional state. once she's established that she's sitting alone, she says, "yet i dream of being free". then goes immediately from the dolphin song to "maybe one day you will understand..."

i thought i'd share that. not really decisive, but certainly a possibility!

So is it just me, and sorry if it's been mentioned, but do her "dolphin noises" sound, well, absolutely nothing like a dolphin? They sound like she's getting punched in the diaphragm, yes, but not necessarily a dolphin. Or am I ill advised on the actual sounds dolphins can make? :P

Unless there's a random live tape that I happened to miss where she sounds like Flipper/Echo/[additional famous porpoise], I'm at a loss.