Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Be like the water, people.

Folding Chair

30 posts in this topic

You know, that's not been mentioned anywhere on the Stix, to my limited knowledge. though interviewers bring it up frequently, we have no real reasoning behind how the dolphins got to sounding like gorillas, dogs, and, as you said, someone being punched in the diaphram (lol). Reg mentioned somewhere that she listened back to the recording, and realised that the dolphins sounded like dogs. so it seems that this is unintentional. But the way the answer came off reminds me of her reply during an interview for MTV for Begin to Hope. The guy asked her,

"so first you sing it's a good refrain. but later you changed it to, it's a pretty song. why is that?" And Reg basically answered,

"because i wanted to. now back off." i think her exact wording was,

"because girls are smarter than boys." lol it totally went over the guy's head. But anyway, she seemed a little irritated to me. i'm not sure that this was the case (though it's plausible-she doesn't want to discuss lyrics). so... no answer from Reg, and i can't think of a significance to the song, really. especially since it's difficult to tell exactly what animal sound she's making!

Well actually, you pretty much answered my question in full!

I was just afraid that I didn't know the range of sounds dolphins could make, haha. So it seems it just is that way. And hey, that's totally cool with me.

I just have found it odd, though, especially considering that I now know that she isn't making a dolphin sound, that in several reviews of Far that I've read, they reviewer cites her making "dolphin noises". Which confused me, because if I hadn't been told that that's what they are, I never EVER would have guessed it.

quote:
Originally posted by Be like the water, people.:

Dolphin epiphany (with cheating)!!

So i was on the phone with my mom, and decided to ask her opinion on these songs we've been discussing, and more importantly, our theories about their meanings. So when i mentioned that no one has presented a prominent application of the "dolphin song", Mom pointed out that dolphins are notoriously playful and carefree. So perhaps the nararator is cluing us in on her current emotional state. once she's established that she's sitting alone, she says, "yet i dream of being free". then goes immediately from the dolphin song to "maybe one day you will understand..."

i thought i'd share that. not really decisive, but certainly a possibility!

That makes a lot of sense! I like that a lot more than my theory of "well maybe she just likes dolphins and wanted to think about them..." Haha.

Originally posted by Be like the water, people.:

haha agreed. thank the lord for mothers![/quote

ha lol yea you cant live without them even though mine pisses me off every now and then....

quote:
Originally posted by Brady:

ha lol yea you cant live without them even though mine pisses me off every now and then....

i know for a fact that "sometimes pissing off your kids" is written on the elusive Mothering job description. We're not supposed to know it exists, though, so... shhhhhh

You guys have said something like this earlier, but I'll write my thoughts down anyway... Smiler

I think it's about someone (here referred to as a "she") who is afraid to fall in love or get in to a relationship.

It starts out...

Come and open up your folding chair next to me

She think she likes him. Wants him to be closer to her than he is now.

My feet are buried in the sand

She won't take the first step. He has to do it. She can't go anywhere...

and there's a breeze

winds of change...? The sand's blowing away? His chance is now?

There's a shadow; you can't see my eyes

Means he doesn't know what she wants. The shadow could be the games people play when they're interested in someone. He can't see her intentions, he doesn't know if she's into him so he too gets unsure. The eyes are the windows of the soul, but she's hiding them from him. And he's not a mind-reader...

the sea is just a wetter version of the skies

Trying to convince herself that it's not so dangerous. Nothing to be afraid of and not so different from what is familiar now. They will still be friends, and it won't ruin everything. They will stay the same. It will just be another version.

Let's get a silver bullet trailer etc...

Dreaming of a future with him and so on...

I've got a perfect body, but sometimes I forget I've got a perfect body, 'cause my eyelashes catch my sweat

She sometimes doubt herself. Like would he really want her? Is she good enough? But the she remembers not to panic and just realize that there's nothing wrong with her. Her body (eye-lashes) does what it's supposed to Smiler

Now I've been sitting on this abandoned beach for years

Waiting for the salty water to cover up my ears

Speaking for itself, right? She's been alone for quite a while and she waits for someone to take her away from that lonely beach.

But every time the tide come in to take me home I get scared and I'm sitting here alone

Everytime she has a chance to love someone she steps back and gets too afraid to follow him. She wants to, because she describes it as her "home", but as said: she gets scared.

Dreaming of the dolphin song

Meaning all she can do is dream about a relationship and someone to love. I imagine the dolphin song being something everyone who are in love sings along to Wink It sounds free and happy and she wants to go there.

Maybe one day you'll understand

I want nothing from you but to sweetly hold your hand

Till that day just please don't be so down

Don't make frowns, you silly clown

Going back to the "waves are just a wetter version"... She doesn't want all the expectations and the pressure of being in a relationship. That's what makes her so scared. All she wants is to hold his hand, and nothing more. Don't want to worry about the future, just hold his hand for now.

The frown-thing is that he doesn't quite understand her - why she's pulling away.

Then it goes back to the folding chair part where she's in love and wants him to get near her. And it all ends with that he can't see her eyes. So either SHE has to do something about the situation (perhaps show her eyes to him, so that he understands that she wants to be with him) or that he'll just have to take the chance...'cause she's to afraid to show him. she might get hurt if she does.

So... that's my own little take of it Smiler

feel free to comment and develop the idea Smiler

(hope someone hasn't said this exact thing :o I didn't read all of the posts, but some of them)

So... that's my own little take of it Smiler

feel free to comment and develop the idea Smiler

(hope someone hasn't said this exact thing :o I didn't read all of the posts, but some of them)!

That was a really good interpretation. I think you're definitely on to something. My only comment is giving it the same meaning as you, except the concept MAYBE being the other way around. Her being the willing one and him having the apprehensions. She likes him but he's the one having the shadow and can't see her 'obvious eyes. I think a lot of the lines about reassuring herself are exactly right. And like you say, I think it's her playing the whole scene inside her head thinking for both of them.

You are probably completely right about your take on it. The only reason I got an idea to even give a comment is because of your take on it. I'm just trying to keep the fun going with another way in how it might be. I think your concept of boy and girl, where one likes one and the other is holding back goes so good with the words.

Regina Spektor is a human study. She is a genuine, bona fide poet. This is just like being in some English class trying to find the meaning behind a classic poem. The meaning is definitely there, but what does it mean?

'Sweetness in my lungs'. That was so much fun. Thanks

Tony

Your turn Smiler

"...and I hope that the words are right"

You guys have such great interpretations of the song! This is just the kind of stuff I love reading and doing.

There's one thing I've been thinking about for a while now.. you know how Jack Dishel does graffiti? They've been together for a long time now, I'm wondering if Jack's graffiti tendency could have inspired the lyric "And you'll graffiti up his toys" even a little bit..