Sign in to follow this  
ThisIsHowItWorks

Fidelity

I think of "all my friends say that its gonna get better" as her friends explaining that the blur of emotions she's feeling in her love will 'calm down.' See, she's a novice to love while her peers have been taking that other foot off the ground for years.

And since I see the verses as being in the past, while the chorus is in the present, "singing love songs" to me is the way she used to push away her feeling by expressing manufactured ones, (similar to what you were saying) but she no longer does this, and contemplates how different her life would be if she still did. There's something in the way she sings "Suppose I never ever met you" that to me couldn't express anything but pure appreciation.

Yeah, I freaking suck so bad at interputating and understanding songs.....all I Know is that it is about love and love that is hard to deal with.... very beautiful and touching song.

I really want to come to a difinitive interpretation of this song (i only took my position in the first place to provide opposition, but now i kinda like it!)

So, we've exhausted the lyrics as far as drawing theory support/oppositions.

So what are we left with?

Regina's patterns-how does this song ccompare to her other works, and what does that tell us about Fidelity? (look at me, usin' bullet points!)

General vibe of the song. include first impressions, if they're still fresh in our minds! Or just how the song "feels" to you now

The feeling of the piano and the vocals (we all know how cinematic Reg can be with her voice and playing!)

Whatever else ya got.... (including alternative interpretations? Wink)

Ooh cool organization! Bullet points and everything.

Well, it seems that the song is intentionally ambiguous. There are many many varied experiences a person can have with love, and the song seems to apply to both the negative ones and the positive. So your mention of first impressions is a lot more relevant than you probably realized: the silly-putty nature of the song (sorry that's an awful metaphor for the way the song applies to so many scenarios... I was gonna use baking soda instead but that would make even less sense) is such that the first impression is probably the one that sticks. You hear the song, apply its ambiguous lyrics to your own personal experience, observations, or assumptions, (perhaps subconsciously) and before you know it, that's the only way the song makes sense to you.

Uh, guys, I think y'all forgot one of the most critical pieces of info here. The song is based on the movie High Fidelity.

I always watch the movie and wonder- now where exactly did she pause it and go write the song? My money's on the bench/rain scene near the end. Although the line in the movie goes, "...i never really committed to [her]... i always had one foot out the door," I obviously think regina's line, though quite similar, is much more complex and eloquent. The character in the movie rehashes his top 5 most memorable break-ups. And not only does the story elaborate on why the relationships went awry, "breaking his heart," but it also shows, even when he is truly in love that his heart "breaks" because he's always wondering why (for lack of better phrasing) he feels like such a freak who can't get it together, and why life isn't simple. Throughout, his friends and family are offering advice/opinions, and since he owns the record store and is obsessed with music, not only is he surrounded by it, but he and his employees continuously try to pick out songs and make compilation tapes that are perfect for particular situations/people. Hence- I hear in my mind all these words/all this music/all my friends say

The whole thing, it's about trying to find someone to be with, yes. But mainly it is about figuring out what it means to love someone, and how put your own insecurities aside when you realize that love might not be exactly the way quintessential love songs or movies or people make you think it is.

To me, Fidelity is very straighforward, as straighforward as understanding yourself/feelings/love can possibly be. You struggle, you open yourself up, it can be rewarding, but confusing. And as wonderful as finding love is, it doesn't necessarily make life easy.

quote:
Originally posted by dentistgirl:

Uh, guys, I think y'all forgot one of the most critical pieces of info here. The song is based on the movie High Fidelity.

I always watch the movie and wonder- now where exactly did she pause it and go write the song? My money's on the bench/rain scene near the end. Although the line in the movie goes, "...i never really committed to [her]... i always had one foot out the door," I obviously think regina's line, though quite similar, is much more complex and eloquent. The character in the movie rehashes his top 5 most memorable break-ups. And not only does the story elaborate on why the relationships went awry, "breaking his heart," but it also shows, even when he is truly in love that his heart "breaks" because he's always wondering why (for lack of better phrasing) he feels like such a freak who can't get it together, and why life isn't simple. Throughout, his friends and family are offering advice/opinions, and since he owns the record store and is obsessed with music, not only is he surrounded by it, but he and his employees continuously try to pick out songs and make compilation tapes that are perfect for particular situations/people. Hence- I hear in my mind all these words/all this music/all my friends say

The whole thing, it's about trying to find someone to be with, yes. But mainly it is about figuring out what it means to love someone, and how put your own insecurities aside when you realize that love might not be exactly the way quintessential love songs or movies or people make you think it is.

To me, Fidelity is very straighforward, as straighforward as understanding yourself/feelings/love can possibly be. You struggle, you open yourself up, it can be rewarding, but confusing. And as wonderful as finding love is, it doesn't necessarily make life easy.

i'm almost positive that Reg said Fidelity was a random name she came up with for this previously unnamed song, and the name came from when she was watching High Fidelity. No correlation. I'm almost certain..

But your theory makes so much sense that i'm thinking that i'm remembering wrong. Great point-thanks for pointing it out! (lol you'll notice i omitted "the title" from my bullet points-that's how likely i wasto come up with this theory on my own haha!)

quote:
Originally posted by Be like the water, people.:

quote:
Originally posted by dentistgirl:

i'm almost positive that Reg said Fidelity was a random name she came up with for this previously unnamed song, and the name came from when she was watching High Fidelity. No correlation. I'm almost certain..

"I really just wrote it while rewatching High Fidelity for the for the millionth time..."

quote:
Originally posted by almostspotless:

"I really just wrote it while rewatching High Fidelity for the for the millionth time..."

That was really fast! wow haha thanks!

How exciting! do u really think this song is about that movie? or at least heavily influenced by it?

Unrelated note: She's always soooooo adorable when they show her just standin' there by the piano! she looks teeny! awww!

ok. Back to the song....

quote:
Originally posted by Be like the water, people.:

quote:
Originally posted by almostspotless:

That was really fast! wow haha thanks!

How exciting! do u really think this song is about that movie? or at least heavily influenced by it?

I'm gonna have to go and watch that movie... Thanks for pointing that out to us, dentistgirl! I like your conclusions about the song. They sort of fit in with all of our ideas about the song, and I still feel that the song can be shaped to speak to any number of love situations.