Sign in to follow this  
baby jesus

Two Birds

I love this song and I thought it was about a relationship and two people going through it and one has trouble loving the other one.

But, TranquilTruth from youtube said that: I think it's about letting something from your past go, mainly because that's the wording of the song. Two people went through a bad experience together. One is able(or at least tries) to let go and fly, but the other prefers to stay on that wire. I like this a lot just my thoughts and that guy from youtube's thoughts.

T-Edit: My first thread!

I love this song and I thought it was about a relationship and two people going through it and one has trouble loving the other one.

But, TranquilTruth from youtube said that: I think it's about letting something from your past go, mainly because that's the wording of the song. Two people went through a bad experience together. One is able(or at least tries) to let go and fly, but the other prefers to stay on that wire. I like this a lot just my thoughts and that guy from youtube's thoughts.

T-Edit: My first thread!

That's interesting. I had thought of it as being about a relationship (any kind of relationship: friendship, family, marriage, etc. The fact that both 'birds' are referred to as 'he' opens this up) in which incompatibility stems from one individual's inability to let go of their trepidations. The song seems to say that while opposites attract, there are situations in which its important to 'meet someone halfway.' Both birds are stubborn: one won't stay on the wire, the other won't get off. Obviously, unless one of them makes a personal compromise, they can't stay together.

The song is also about denial of dysfunction in a relationship: "Two birds of a feather say that they're always gonna stay together, but..."

Another theme that comes up is a lack of the sense of self-worth: "I'm sorry. One more or one less, nobody's worried." The bird is unable to see that some is worried. ie, He's important to the other bird. This insecurity plays a role in his inability to leave the wire.

The song never only ever refers to the sex of one bird (the one who won't leave the wire) as "he," the other is never explicitly stated. I think most people just refer to animals as "he" anyway if they aren't sexually dimorphic or the observer can't tell the difference. Not that I think it matters either way, b/c I don't think this is a song particularly about romantic relationships.

I think Two BirdsIS Small Town Moon. It's far less specific and detailed, has birds instead of people, and uses an ever so slightly different perspective, but to me it's very much the same story. Obviously birds aren't going to get famous and question moving away from their little home town, but at the same time, I don't think Small Town Moon is only applicable to people who make it big. All I'm saying is, same concept, different mood and melody. Love 'em both.

Not to be nit-picky, but both birds are referred to as male: "The other watches him [bird 1] close from that wire. He [bird 2] says he wants to as well, but he is a liar."

But yeah, I agree that the song is very similar in concept to Small Town Moon, though perhaps with less sentimentality.

haha, yeah. I stand corrected. Luckily that didn't have any bearing on my point. lol

But, you're right totally different outward feel to it. It's harder to be depressed and emotional with the whole big band thing going on. That, and the fact that it's about birds, makes it easier on the psyche.

I've been wondering if this song has any connection to the Film Score Project. It's that theme of two again... even down to the way the first lines are worded:

"Two birds on a wire, one tries to fly, and the other watches him close from that wire."

"Two sisters went to the river dam, one to swim, the other to drown."

Then again, the songs aren't thematically that similar really. Also, I didn't realize before doing some research that The Film Score Project isn't an original song...

Still, I wonder if this line of poetry influenced her Two Birds lyrics, consciously or perhaps even subconsciously....

I realized after listening to this song a few times that I actually really like it.