Sign in to follow this  
Be like the water, people.

December

I was going to post a thread about this too! But I chose Somedays first. I agree that they have a similar feel to them.

I absolutely love this song from regina. The piano is fantastic towards the end. I would listen to it every day before I went to sleep for weeks.

I'll reply with my take on it in a little bit.

I don't have much time to write, so I'll put something brief for now and expand upon it later.

I see December as being about unrequited love. The narrator loves the listener, ("Can't you see all this love?") despite the fact that the listener has repeatedly hurt them, ("Say you're sorry for the trouble that you've caused.") and loves another ("Rumors that you are in love again.") The stuff about the "house" is a metaphor for the way the narrator will firmly continue to love, despite the damage that he knows it will cause him. ("We don't believe in you and your wrecking crew.")

The narrator is in denial that his love is hopeless: "Rumors that are completely unsubstantiated," and continues to have feelings of devotion and concern for the listener: "Won't you feel happier then?"

That's pretty much everything I have to say about the song... I'll expand later if I can think of anything else.

(this was before I read the prev post. i was typing this.)

When I listen to this song. I kinda think of a married couple who had gotten divorced not too long ago. She's still heartbroken by it. By the lines:

"December starts on Sunday, next Sunday

won't you feel happier then?

turn your room upside down, turn your down upside "

I feel that she's referring to how December's suppose to be the so called "happy time" of the year because of the holidays are around and its suppose to be great. So she's basically saying "The holidays are coming, its suppose to be a joyful time. Are you happier now that we arent togehter?"

Shes constantly questioning whether he has fallen in love again believing rumors that don't even have any truth or fact behind them just because she's kind of worried that he's moved on already. You know how you expect the worse and when you have any proof of it, you just believe it no matter what?

At the end, she feels like everything that she has created for herself is being taken away from her. I don't know if there is a child involved in this but I definitely feel that she feels like she is forced to leave everything she has created and built up and leave. And she's basically standing up for herself and saying NO. I'm not listening to you. Who are you to take this away from me? I don't believe in you and your authority. I only listen to myself and I want to stay here no matter what.

That's one take on it anyway. I'd love to hear some other thoughts. I just think this song is so beautiful. Its way too short. I wish it were 10 minutes long. That piano solo is just grand. I always have to listen to it 3 times anyway before being satisfied.

quote:
Originally posted by ThisIsHowItWorks:

I don't have much time to write, so I'll put something brief for now and expand upon it later.

I see December as being about unrequited love. The narrator loves the listener, ("Can't you see all this love?") despite the fact that the listener has repeatedly hurt them, ("Say you're sorry for the trouble that you've caused.") and loves another ("Rumors that you are in love again.") The stuff about the "house" is a metaphor for the way the narrator will firmly continue to love, despite the damage that he knows it will cause him. ("We don't believe in you and your wrecking crew.")

The narrator is in denial that his love is hopeless: "Rumors that are completely unsubstantiated," and continues to have feelings of devotion and concern for the listener: "Won't you feel happier then?"

That's pretty much everything I have to say about the song... I'll expand later if I can think of anything else.

Now I think my meaning was a bit too literal but I can see how the house is metaphorical. Interesting points.

quote:

and the way you explained the way the reader isn't going to accept that their love is hopeless. I never thought of it that way. That makes a bit more sense the the way I took it. I think I agree with this idea a bit more then mine.

tihiw's interpretation reminds me of White Flag by Dido:

"i will go down with this ship.

and i won't put my hands up and surrender.

There will be no white flag above my door.

Oh i'm in love. and always will be...

and when we meet..

all that was there will be there still.

i'll let it pass and hold my tongue.

and you will think

that i've moved on.

but i will go down with this ship..."

and i'm sure you guys can look up the rest. but that's the gist of it!

quote:
Originally posted by tallchick:

and the way you explained the way the reader isn't going to accept that their love is hopeless. I never thought of it that way. That makes a bit more sense the the way I took it. I think I agree with this idea a bit more then mine.

I'm glad you like it! Our two ideas fit in with each other very well.

quote:
Originally posted by tallchick:

(this was before I read the prev post. i was typing this.)

When I listen to this song. I kinda think of a married couple who had gotten divorced not too long ago. She's still heartbroken by it. By the lines:

"December starts on Sunday, next Sunday

won't you feel happier then?

turn your room upside down, turn your down upside "

I feel that she's referring to how December's suppose to be the so called "happy time" of the year because of the holidays are around and its suppose to be great. So she's basically saying "The holidays are coming, its suppose to be a joyful time. Are you happier now that we arent togehter?"

Shes constantly questioning whether he has fallen in love again believing rumors that don't even have any truth or fact behind them just because she's kind of worried that he's moved on already. You know how you expect the worse and when you have any proof of it, you just believe it no matter what?

At the end, she feels like everything that she has created for herself is being taken away from her. I don't know if there is a child involved in this but I definitely feel that she feels like she is forced to leave everything she has created and built up and leave. And she's basically standing up for herself and saying NO. I'm not listening to you. Who are you to take this away from me? I don't believe in you and your authority. I only listen to myself and I want to stay here no matter what.

That's one take on it anyway. I'd love to hear some other thoughts. I just think this song is so beautiful. Its way too short. I wish it were 10 minutes long. That piano solo is just grand. I always have to listen to it 3 times anyway before being satisfied.

My thoughts exactly, I've always considered this song as the other Ode to Divorce.

I see this woman who doesn't want to get divorced and she is constantly hoping that they won't get divorced. She's hoping that maybe when December comes he will change his mind. That everything will suddenly change as if nothing has happened, that he will apologize to her and everything will be ok again.

Or she's saying it in a mean tone like "won't you feel happier when we get divorced" assuming they're getting divorced in December..

And at the end as you said it, she's refusing to have everything taken away from her ( and her children maybe). She's desperate and basically in denial the whole time, she can't accept it.

I really love this song a lot.

quote:
Originally posted by Rinoa:

Or she's saying it in a mean tone like "won't you feel happier when we get divorced" assuming they're getting divorced in December..

Oh I like that angle on it a lot... "Won't you be happier then" doesn't really sound sincerely concerned (contrary to the way it would be interpreted in the interpretation I posted above), and "Turn your room upside down, turn your down upside down" is very sarcastic in its sentiment of joy.