Sign in to follow this  
Be like the water, people.

Small Town Moon

i know i've been making a lot of these threads lately. Sorry! but i was listening to Small Town Moon and wondered about everyone's take on it.

i grew up in a small town, so i've always felt a small connection to this song. Yet the small town is in the nararator's mind, so i guess that means that, in a way, we're all connected to this song, because the people you grew up with, the people who raised you, and those involved in your memories make up the residency of your own personal small town, whether you grew up in New York, New York or Canton, Ohio, you're from a small town. At least in your mind. (Corny.)

i'm kind of at a loss about the meaning of the rest of the song. Thoughts?

i know i've been making a lot of these threads lately. Sorry! but i was listening to Small Town Moon and wondered about everyone's take on it.

i grew up in a small town, so i've always felt a small connection to this song. Yet the small town is in the nararator's mind, so i guess that means that, in a way, we're all connected to this song, because the people you grew up with, the people who raised you, and those involved in your memories make up the residency of your own personal small town, whether you grew up in New York, New York or Canton, Ohio, you're from a small town. At least in your mind. (Corny.)

i'm kind of at a loss about the meaning of the rest of the song. Thoughts?

I agree with you.

I think the narrator hasn't necessarily grown up in a small town, but rather "the small town in my mind," that nurturing community of neighbors and parents and family friends that love you and help you.

Except, in this song, it seems as if the narrator feels suffocated by it. She (obviously, the narrator is not necessarily female, but for the sake of not typing she/he constantly I'm going to refer to her as such) feels as if she will betray those that love her around her if she leaves, and yet she feels compelled to move to bigger things. And these loving, sometimes suffocating people tell her that there's no hurry, and that the world isn't all so nice, (I've heard that many a time from my family, and I too am EXTREMELY attached to my home town,) so why doesn't she stick around, put her feet up, and enjoy life in her comfy little town? And yet, she'll always be restless. "But we're gonna get real old real soon, today we're younger than we're ever gonna be." Sort of a 'cease the day,' kind of attitude... the narrator wants to experience, and wants to grow and learn and think beyond what she thinks her little community of people can offer her. She wants to feel the world.

I just had a little epiphany about the moon part!! I was just about to write, "I have no idea what the significance of the moon is," but suddenly I do!

The moon is far away. Far far away in the sky, and people say the sky is the limit. And everyone is telling her, "It's all about the moon, reach for the stars," and yet at the same time, they're suffocating her and holding her back, "breaking her camera." They're telling her it's all about reaching for new levels, and following your heart, and yet at the same time contradicting themselves by trying to fend off her interest in expanding her horizons by warning her that "everybody's not so nice, nice," etc. She's trying to capture that moon, so to speak, and yet they've broken her camera, making it impossible for her to do so. So the same people who are loving, and who have helped the narrator to grow up in such a great environment, are ultimately trying to limit her, and keep her downtrodden, because of that same love. This song is about the narrator struggling to break those bonds, fixing that camera and truly capturing the moon. And yet, she doesn't want to hurt the people who have nurtured her for her entire life, which makes the whole situation a fair bit more confusing for this poor narrator.

i LOVE that interpretation, almostspotless! Bravo!

except now i feel like there's even more to it. i can't understand why or what, but i feel like there's some huge extrapolation to be made, now that you've put this song into a fantastic context! (perhaps a message? What's Regina saying to us through this situation?)

Anyway, you're brilliant, i tell you!

quote:
Originally posted by Be like the water, people.:

What's Regina saying to us through this situation?

Aah now there's the question. Since we agree on almostspotless' interpretation, that's definitely a relevant point of discussion.

As almostspotless alluded to, the key point of the song seems to be finding that balance between experience the world and your own terms, and respecting the people who have made you who you are. It seems to tell both sides of that situation to remember to make compromises.