Sign in to follow this  
Brady

Riot Gear!

Recommended Posts

Ohhh this is my favorite Regina song! I am going to leave it up to the pro interputaters/lyric understanders here on the stix, this is a hard Regina song to understand...... dont know what is so cool and pretty about it....what do you guys think of this song???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ohhh this is my favorite Regina song! I am going to leave it up to the pro interputaters/lyric understanders here on the stix, this is a hard Regina song to understand...... dont know what is so cool and pretty about it....what do you guys think of this song???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No one's posted here, and poor Mr Doughty is waiting for some ideas! so here we go!

I think this song is set in the not-so-distant future (kind of around the same era as Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. *favorite book plug*)

anyway, so the skippy beat and happy vibe of this song are out of place next to the bleak life being described here. Much like several other Regina songs, the first person play-by-play makes the behavior and explanations seem commonplace, and acceptable as no big deal, on the surface. Reading a little closer, we see that this woman (or cross-dressing man Razzer) is in a daily cycle of monotonous behavior. Her life wouldn't be monotonous if she were actually living it, instead of scheduling every minute and then going through the motions. She shows no interrest in her own plans and interactions, except for when it's night and time to go to sleep. Then she wonders what dreams may come. So her life is uninspired and unvaried, and the most interresting thing she allows into her world is whatever excitement her subconcious draws up and basically forces on her. It seems that she has a typical life for her time, and is unsatisfied by it.

"Heaven help the ones who know

what makes the world go slow"

A few things can be drawn from this:

1: the world moves slowly for most people.

2: there are some who are aware of the reason for everyone's dissatisfaction/boredom.

3: they apparently need heaven's help.

for #1, assuming that the vast majority of the world lives like this woman, they are forcing themselves into routines. But they think this is okay, because they also schedule fun. But still the world moves slowly for them. This indicates that their brains lack stimulation. They're all bored, but are oblivious to why.

#2, "the ones who know.." are aware that people aren't living life to its fullest, and know that, if you want time to fly past, if you want to be able to forget about time, you need to do things that interrest you. There's nothing wrong with routine, but you have to live a life that you find satisfying. These people are aware of all of this, but seem to be a minority in this society.

#3 i the kicker. Reading through this, it seems that time even moves slowly for those who know. I find that interresting. (Maybe everybody's hooked into machines? so they don't have the option to choose for themselves?) i mean, the ones who know apparently aren't living the lives they're aware they should be living, because they apparently need heaven's help. So time moves slowly for everybody. It's just that,even if you know what's wrong with that, there's nothing you can do about it without divine intervention. That's my take on things. Condensced, believe it or not!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

quote:
Originally posted by ThisIsHowItWorks:

I like your theory, BLtW,P. There's a lot of discussion of this song in the "far bonus tracks" thread (http://reginaspektor.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/651108661/m/406101561). It makes for an interesting read.

God DAmn it!!!!! Okay I am going to triple check now before I post a topic grrrrrr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

quote:
Originally posted by Brady:

quote:
Originally posted by ThisIsHowItWorks:

I like your theory, BLtW,P. There's a lot of discussion of this song in the "far bonus tracks" thread (http://reginaspektor.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/651108661/m/406101561). It makes for an interesting read.

God DAmn it!!!!! Okay I am going to triple check now before I post a topic grrrrrr

Hey no need to get frustrated... The whole point of this lyrics section is to keep lyrics discussion in one place, so as I see it, it was perfectly fine to post this topic. I was just referring you to a thread you may find interesting and relevant.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

quote:
Originally posted by Be like the water, people.:

No one's posted here, and poor Mr Doughty is waiting for some ideas! so here we go!

I think this song is set in the not-so-distant future (kind of around the same era as Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. *favorite book plug*)

anyway, so the skippy beat and happy vibe of this song are out of place next to the bleak life being described here. Much like several other Regina songs, the first person play-by-play makes the behavior and explanations seem commonplace, and acceptable as no big deal, on the surface. Reading a little closer, we see that this woman (or cross-dressing man Razzer) is in a daily cycle of monotonous behavior. Her life wouldn't be monotonous if she were actually living it, instead of scheduling every minute and then going through the motions. She shows no interrest in her own plans and interactions, except for when it's night and time to go to sleep. Then she wonders what dreams may come. So her life is uninspired and unvaried, and the most interresting thing she allows into her world is whatever excitement her subconcious draws up and basically forces on her. It seems that she has a typical life for her time, and is unsatisfied by it.

"Heaven help the ones who know

what makes the world go slow"

A few things can be drawn from this:

1: the world moves slowly for most people.

2: there are some who are aware of the reason for everyone's dissatisfaction/boredom.

3: they apparently need heaven's help.

for #1, assuming that the vast majority of the world lives like this woman, they are forcing themselves into routines. But they think this is okay, because they also schedule fun. But still the world moves slowly for them. This indicates that their brains lack stimulation. They're all bored, but are oblivious to why.

#2, "the ones who know.." are aware that people aren't living life to its fullest, and know that, if you want time to fly past, if you want to be able to forget about time, you need to do things that interrest you. There's nothing wrong with routine, but you have to live a life that you find satisfying. These people are aware of all of this, but seem to be a minority in this society.

#3 i the kicker. Reading through this, it seems that time even moves slowly for those who know. I find that interresting. (Maybe everybody's hooked into machines? so they don't have the option to choose for themselves?) i mean, the ones who know apparently aren't living the lives they're aware they should be living, because they apparently need heaven's help. So time moves slowly for everybody. It's just that,even if you know what's wrong with that, there's nothing you can do about it without divine intervention. That's my take on things. Condensced, believe it or not!

Okay, you are a professional song interperter!!! Seriously, you are just so good at it. And your takes on songs are very beautiful....thanks for replying. Smiler

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

quote:
Originally posted by Brady:

Okay, you are a professional song interperter!!! Seriously, you are just so good at it. And your takes on songs are very beautiful....thanks for replying. Smiler

You're welcome for the reply. But you've gotten quite carried away! thanks, though. i needed an ego boost! WinkRazzer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I personally translate Riot Gear as somebody who loves to do things unconventionally but to them, unconventional is the only thing they've ever known and something they would never change... and because they enjoy life so much the world seems like it's spinning twice as fast, they're saying however, they respect the people who's life doesn't go as fast because she knows she couldn't live that way after making her own lifestyle full of lifestyles not normally chosen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this