I wish I'd see a field below

I'm awake and I feel the ache

Oh, but I wish I'd see a field below

I'm awake and feel the ache

Aw, but I wish I'd see a field below

Thoughts?

I kind of think this song is about death.

Which is really funny (funny peculiar, not funny haha) that I should suddenly come to this conclusion, because a second ago, I had just typed, "I think this song is pretty literal blah blah blah blah."

But it has an almost Summer in the City sort of feel to it, don't you think? This sense of longing and of loneliness. I think it's about losing a loved one, and aching to see them again, and that emotion of raw grief that causes your heart to feel chapped.

It starts off kind of mournful, seemingly a city dweller wanting a change of scene, a quieter life style. But this image is almost an illusion, in that really the narrator is mourning much more than the loss of the rooster crow. It really seems to be a much deeper tale of loss and grief and the need to see that person again.

And you just can't hear properly somebody whispering low over the sounds of the city.

The more I read this the more stupid it sounds. But... oh well.

Hmm it never occurred to me that the song is about death... I see it more as being about moving on from something familiar, the constant battle of dealing with it.

Whenever I listen to this song, it creates for me the image of a woman who wakes up every morning in the high-rise apartment where she lives alone, and, in that dazed just-woke-up state, looks out her window full of delusional hope that the past few years have been a dream, and she lived in a peaceful rural home with the man she loves, who has left due to unexplained circumstances. But, just like every day before it, she sees not a field below, but a crowded, noisy city. Her heart drops; her daily impossible dream has once again been crushed. People change and the world moves, and she'll always be struggling with the fact that her lover wasn't an exception.

quote:
Originally posted by ThisIsHowItWorks:

Hmm it never occurred to me that the song is about death... I see it more as being about moving on from something familiar, the constant battle of dealing with it.

Whenever I listen to this song, it creates for me the image of a woman who wakes up every morning in the high-rise apartment where she lives alone, and, in that dazed just-woke-up state, looks out her window full of delusional hope that the past few years have been a dream, and she still lives in her peaceful rural home with the man she loves. But, just like every day before it, she sees not a field below, but a crowded, noisy city. Her heart drops; her daily impossible dream has once again been crushed. People change and the world moves, and she'll always be struggling with the fact that she wasn't an exception.

i'm reading this thread as i listen to Destiny of Love by Yiruma, and i'm practically in tears lol

i think it's interresting that everyone thinks that this song involves more than just a literal wishing for a field and a rooster... i always took this as a semi-autobigraphical story from Reg wishing for a yard (as mentioned in some other song that i've forgotten (and i know i've been asked-haha Roll Eyes )). not necessarily that there's any more attached to it. But i never really listened very deeply to the song, so..

i like your interpretation better than mine, almostspotless!

It's interesting that you say "everyone thinks this song involves more than just a literal wishing for a field and a rooster" because I actually never felt like I was 'interpreting' the song. The image that I get from the song is something that's been with me since the first time I heard it, and I've never even thought about the song any other way. Which on one hand means it will be difficult to sway my opinion on it, and on the other means this discussion could be a lot of fun!

Oh and is the song where she mentions wanting a yard Rockland County? I haven't heard that song in years but it seems like that would fit into the context. Haha semi-educated guess...

Ok.

Every time I listen to Field Below, I picture Regina in an airplane. I know that the speaker in a poem or lyrics isn't always the author, but since it's her singing it, I just picture her.

Anyway, Regina is sitting at the window seat in the airplane. And it's really cloudy. And she lives in the city, so whenever she travels, she loves looking out at the greenery, which contrasts sharply with the muggy skylines punctuated by skyscrapers that she knows and loves. So she's sitting on this airplane, trying to see the fields below through the clouds, but she can't see them. And she's thinking about how different her life would be in the countryside, waking up to a rooster crowing in the morning. But no roosters live in the city, so her days begin groggily, her phone vibrating jarringly from her nightstand.

She walked around the city all day, hoping to hear a rooster, but doesn't hear one. The city is blanketed with snow, and eventually, the shadows decend and color the snow.

In the airplane, she mulls over this, her day, her lonliness in the city, and she strains to see those fields below. She feels this achy airplane-y feeling when she wakes up from drifting off, the same ache she feels in the city with no fields or roosters.

quote:
People change and the world moves

this made me think of Rejazz, Jared! "birds still migrate south and people move on, even though I'm no longer in your arms..."

OK. So I listened to this song today when I walked home from the bus station, and my heart was about to jump out of my body and just break. It touched me so much. Don't even know why. It's the "I'm awake and feel the ache"...it just gets me.

The airplane-thing made me think... She's looking down, wishing to see the fields. it fits. So it could be a person feeling distant (like in an airplane) in life. Have friends, but no one to really talk to. Living outside yourself. watching your life pass by. The wish of seeing a field below is the wish of living your life connected...

So. I thought this song was about a break-up, a death or moving away from home. Loosing something in your life that's familiar. Wishing for what has already passed. Change. Hurtful change.

about facing the darker seasons without your loved one/-s...? Something traumatic may have happened the winter before, and then when it's about to return all the feelings come back.

If someone died, the rooster crow and the face could be the same person. Both live downtown. You know: people coming back as animals...watching over us.

Oh it just hit me!! Somedays!!!! "dooowntown. I'm not here. Not anymore. I've gone away. don't call me don't write. I'm in love with your daughter" Could somedays be written from one perspective and field below from another, but it's the same situation????? two people. One leaving and one staying. waaaaaaaaahh.

I need to think.